Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 04:29 PM

661 posts, read 521,158 times

Advertisements

Not quite 100% sentiment yet, but I don't really like my current location around Northwestern PA (Erie/Meadville,etc) because I grew up here my entire 25 years of life, and because of economic and population decline. I'm grudging the national leaders we put up with for the past decade on this one, let alone state and local leaders too. Without our former manufacturing base and jobs, we have no significant bragging rights as a local area anymore. The general social and political/economic situation (in most places, besides here) is worse than a nightmare or hell for me, and I have very little civic pride left for Erie and it's surrounding community.

So I guess you can say I am "done" with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 05:17 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in northeast TN. I have a good job by local standards, earning twice median household income as a single guy, in a fairly easy and semi-stable job. I have it easy compared to a lot of folks.

I used to live in urban Midwestern areas. There are many, many things I miss about being in mainstream America. I'm a little over an hour from the nearest metropolitan area (Asheville) of consequence, and 3+ hours away from a major airport, pro-sports, etc. I lived in Indianapolis for three years and went to dozens of NBA games at mostly <$10/ticket. I went to lots of concerts.

There were lots of things to do in Indianapolis that cannot be replicated here without a half day's drive. Emotionally, I'm done with east TN. There is nothing for me. Nothing positive has happened in my year back here. There's no reason to believe things will materially change over the near future.

Have you ever just been emotionally exhausted by where you're at and need a change of scenery?
Yes. I grew up in CT, and it was very depressing. I moved to CA as soon as I could, life immediately improved, and I never looked back.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Yes! We moved from Michigan to Phoenix several years ago for a job transfer and it only took a matter of weeks for us to realize that we had made a mistake and that we needed to get out of there. I know that a lot of people are very happy there, but for many reasons it just wasn't for us at all. We moved back after a relatively short time and have never looked back.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Not quite 100% sentiment yet, but I don't really like my current location around Northwestern PA (Erie/Meadville,etc) because I grew up here my entire 25 years of life, and because of economic and population decline. I'm grudging the national leaders we put up with for the past decade on this one, let alone state and local leaders too. Without our former manufacturing base and jobs, we have no significant bragging rights as a local area anymore. The general social and political/economic situation (in most places, besides here) is worse than a nightmare or hell for me, and I have very little civic pride left for Erie and it's surrounding community.

So I guess you can say I am "done" with it.
Hate to burst what appears to be your little conservative bubble, but the economic decline of NW Pennsylvania began a good bit prior to when Obama was in office.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:56 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in northeast TN. I have a good job by local standards, earning twice median household income as a single guy, in a fairly easy and semi-stable job. I have it easy compared to a lot of folks.

I used to live in urban Midwestern areas. There are many, many things I miss about being in mainstream America. I'm a little over an hour from the nearest metropolitan area (Asheville) of consequence, and 3+ hours away from a major airport, pro-sports, etc. I lived in Indianapolis for three years and went to dozens of NBA games at mostly <$10/ticket. I went to lots of concerts.

There were lots of things to do in Indianapolis that cannot be replicated here without a half day's drive. Emotionally, I'm done with east TN. There is nothing for me. Nothing positive has happened in my year back here. There's no reason to believe things will materially change over the near future.

Have you ever just been emotionally exhausted by where you're at and need a change of scenery?
Yes.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Yes! We moved from Michigan to Phoenix several years ago for a job transfer and it only took a matter of weeks for us to realize that we had made a mistake and that we needed to get out of there. I know that a lot of people are very happy there, but for many reasons it just wasn't for us at all. We moved back after a relatively short time and have never looked back.
I know what you mean. That place did not feel right. It is a nice place to visit.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:03 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Yes, exhausted and unhappy with the husband's home town. Moved (twice) after a divorce, now much happier...

Old 11-19-2017, 11:03 AM

It is nice to know other people realize money is not everything.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:13 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
I got the hell out of the suburbs as soon as I saved up enough money! I spent some of my childhood growing up in West Philly until my mom decided to move my family out to the Philly suburbs. When I was a kid, I thought that living in the suburbs would be a better experience than living in the city. I had believed the lie that suburban living was better than city living. After growing up, moving up to the Lehigh Valley, and moving back to the Philly suburbs, I knew that I hated suburban life and didn't want to subject myself to it any longer. For the next nine months, I worked hard, saved money, and found a place to rent in the city. I couldn't be happier with my move! I plan to stay in Philadelphia for the foreseeable future and raise my children here.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
100%, I currently fit this criteria. Live in the Bay Area, have been here around 2 years and to me, it sucks.
I can relate.

There is absolutely no reason to stay in my part of the Bay Area. All my friends have left in search of less expensive places to settle down. I'm self-employed and take my "job" with me wherever I go. So why stay, especially where living almost anywhere else is cheaper?

Quote:
All work & no play, in order to survive.
I work a lot, too. Many things I used to enjoy and rely on are gone. My gym, gone. Many favorite restaurants, gone. My trusted mechanic, gone. Our Fair City is unrecognizable, it's all being converted into housing for incoming techies.

Quote:
More than likely will end up in North Carolina, or New York (upstate), and can’t wait
I'm just winding up some loose ends here, then with luck I will be in Arizona before the end of the year. It's been a long time coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.