Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I recommend Louisville, Kentucky or Nashville, TN. I am also from Northeast Ohio and relocated for better job opportunities and a fresh start. Louisville has one of the best food scenes in the US for a city it's size and also has a strong job market. Nashville is also a trendy city with many millennial flooding into it, which has its pros and cons. I do have a friend who moved to Nashville and manages a restaurant down there after getting started in the restaurant industry in Louisville. Louisville is a bit more affordable than Nashville but that is slowly beginning to change with the city's growth.

There are also plenty of other jobs in the area from the insurance industry, tourism industry, and of course Ford and GE with jobs across many different fields. 40,000+ jobs will also be in the future at the new River Ridge Commerce Center in nearby Southern Indiana (Jeffersonville, IN), so there certainly is no shortage of work to be found in the Louisville area.

Experts call Louisville food scene 'vibrant'

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...ne-of-the.html
I can second this. Louisville actually gets more in migration from Cleveland than any other US city. I have a good friend from Cleveland here. He says alot has to do with Ford, and also alot is Louisville in many ways feels like a slightly smaller, warmer Cleveland with more growth and a positive momentum. All this and you can be home in 5 hours. My wife is from the south side, and we visit NE Ohio often. We live in Prospect, and we get there in under 5 hours!

We even have at least one Browns bar, and I actually think two. Nashville is BURSTING at the seams. The prices and traffic are ridiculous, and unless you are hellbent on country music or pro sports, I am really not convinced it offers anything that Louisville doesn't. I know many will retort back at this, but Louisville is a really nice city that has flown under the radar.

Louisville's food, arts, culture are all incredible. One thing that is overlooked is Louisville has zero tax on groceries, and only 6% sales tax as opposed to 9% in TN. So, if you are a large consumer like me, the no income tax thing ends up almost being a wash unless you are making 200k plus a year.

And don't think Louisville doesn;t have growth. We have 26 hotels proposed or under construction (I can think of a dozen with dirt turning now) and 11 BILLION in commercial development since 2014. There is 2 billion downtown alone under construction. Lots of nice, high end apartment complexes being built in walkable locales with dog parks, pools, restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Nashville is not affordable at all. Granted, probably no worse than the major TX cities, but the nice parts of OH are going to be cheaper than around Nashville.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I know that argument, but it doesn't pan out from what I've seen. I paid less overall in that state without income tax compared to the one with income tax. I'm going by real/actual numbers from experience. And the higher property tax was still less than the lower property tax plus income tax. The latter total has been nearly double the previous. And again, that increase snowballs over time.
I agree with you. The amount of money I was able to save was much more when I lived in TX and FL. Compared to NY and even GA.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I understand the OP is young and wants a change. I moved to Ohio to retire though and I couldn't be happier. Everyone must find their own ideal place.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:26 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgerb1010 View Post
I am a 23 year old from northeastern Ohio. I am looking to move out of state within the next year- year and a half. I have job experience in restaraunts in just about every position except bartending with some experience in managing at a fast-casual restaraunt and I currently work at a dairy. I'm looking to move to a bigger city or near one. I'm wanting to stay on the east side of the U.S. I have had a lot of friends tell me to check out Nashville and Texas. I have only looked into Nashville a little bit a long with Philadelphia. I would like to find somewhere that is somewhat affordable but also has a lot of job opportunities as well. If any one has any suggestions for cities that a lot of people around my age tend to move to. Also with your suggestions please let me know what kind of job market is in that area. I want to find where I'm going and get some experience in whatever fields are best for that area before I move there. Any suggestions will be helpful
Before you go out of state, perhaps consider Columbus? I was there for a conference a long time ago, and it seemed like a pleasant city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.