Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 AM

153 posts, read 711,359 times

Advertisements

I also forgot to mention two big bonuses of living up north

Sundogs (ice crystals reflecting the sun):

AND

The Aurora that dances in the sky at night:

http://www.northernexposures.net/7b943820.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Beautiful pictures politikally! I like snow when it's falling...and fluffy...and up to 3" at max...
We've been covered in ice and snow for almost two weeks from the big storm of Nov. 30th, but in the last three days with warm temperatures, it's almost all gone! I'm thrilled! I can drive without sliding now and there's no wall of snow at the base of my driveway anymore

Old 12-12-2006, 09:15 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
If you want to see some pictures of some heavy duty snow - check this out (National Weather Service Marquette, MI): http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/gallery_snowpics.php

Here's some Ice for you

I find that most people who complain about the snow are people who didn't grow up with it. I really don't mind the shoveling, or the scraping, the plugging in my car at night, or using iso-heat in my gas tank. All part of what you do up here.

I think every place has its downside. When I went to Florida a few years ago, when I got off the plane I hated every minute of it. It was hot, humid and pure swelter. You guys have gator problems, hurricanes, swamps, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, and no defined seasons.

To each his own I guess Just remember there's plenty to do in the snow, it's not just sitting indoors. During most winters I make an effort to ski, go snowshoeing, snowmobiling, ice skating, watch the dog sled races, cross-country ski (birkebeiner), and good old fashioned sledding. Not to mention joining your local polar bear club

I've never seen that much snow and ice in my life!
It looks like it could fall on top of you... Even I'd be excited to see something like that.

I think the main reason why so many people hate snow where I'm from is because it's an urban area so snowmobiling is illegal, it's hard to find nice places to go cross-country skiing and since we're fairly flat going anywhere exciting requires driving. That and most people who're born in Canada who don't like snow live here anyways, because we don't have many options in climate.

I sometimes enjoy snow too, but most of the time I avoid it because it's too cold.
Same thing with fall colour; it's great but the cooler autmun weather needed for a good display outweighs it's beauty.

I noticed you have bare hands; that's something I can't do below 45 F. Oh well.
Awesome Pics! Thanks!

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-12-2006 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I also forgot to mention two big bonuses of living up north

Sundogs (ice crystals reflecting the sun):

AND

The Aurora that dances in the sky at night:

http://www.northernexposures.net/7b943820.jpg (broken link)
I don't think I've ever seen a sundog! Nice!

That's a great pic of the northern lights. I've never seen them that nicely before. (you don't see them at all in the city)

Old 12-12-2006, 09:53 PM

ColdCanadian -- where in Canada are you? Sounds like Ontario?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
In Colorado, we get the snow and cold, but no where near as bad as some of the other states. I can't ever remember an ice storm like I've heard happens in the Midwest. We have lots of sun here (over 300 days a year) and low humidity, so when it does snow, it generally doesn't stay around for very long. We occasionally get really dumped on, but not that often.

The mountains (fortunately) get far more snow than we do down in the Denver metro area and along the rest of the front range. I actually look forward to the snow and doing some skiing

Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
ColdCanadian -- where in Canada are you? Sounds like Ontario?
Is that because of my "snowmobiling is illegal" quote?
Or is it about my quote on so many people living here who don't like snow?
How did you know?

Yes, I live in the Toronto area. It's not illegal outside the urban areas, but everywhere within a 8 mile radius is a semi-dense urban environment. Besides an afternoon in Quebec, I've never been outside of southern Ontario while still being in Canada. I've been a little past Huntsville, (if you know where that is) but not a whole lot north or west of it.

(My dad's not a fan of cooler or colder climates too; even in mid-summer)

I did get to see Aurora Borealis once while driving home from my cousins who live out in the country. Also, believe it or not but I have seen a moose in the wild, near "Georgian Bay" (northeast end of Lake Huron)

Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is that because of my "snowmobiling is illegal" quote?
Or is it about my quote on so many people living here who don't like snow?
How did you know?

Yes, I live in the Toronto area. It's not illegal outside the urban areas, but everywhere within a 8 mile radius is a semi-dense urban environment. Besides an afternoon in Quebec, I've never been outside of southern Ontario while still being in Canada. I've been a little past Huntsville, (if you know where that is) but not a whole lot north or west of it.

(My dad's not a fan of cooler or colder climates too; even in mid-summer)

I did get to see Aurora Borealis once while driving home from my cousins who live out in the country. Also, believe it or not but I have seen a moose in the wild, near "Georgian Bay" (northeast end of Lake Huron)
Southerner lol. Toronto is a wonderful city, i've been there a few times for a conference. I loved Bloor street. However, it's still too far south for me!

As for what gave it away - I couldn't tell you. You just sounded like you were from Ontario. I used to live in Michigan (Both LP and UP at varying times) so I've have some experience with Ontees (people from ontario). Mostly with people from the Soo.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Southerner lol. Toronto is a wonderful city, i've been there a few times for a conference. I loved Bloor street. However, it's still too far south for me!

As for what gave it away - I couldn't tell you. You just sounded like you were from Ontario. I used to live in Michigan (Both LP and UP at varying times) so I've have some experience with Ontees (people from ontario). Mostly with people from the Soo.
I've never heard of a Canadian being called a "Southerner".

Well, even though I don't prefer cooler weather, even in summer (can't have enough days above 80 F) I've seen and heard many good things about places up in the rural north.

I was going to be sent to Thunder Bay back in September from work but for some reason they never sent me. I'd like to spend a few days, seeing new sites, a ton of northern wildlife, natural surroundings etc.

I just wouldn't want to spend my own money for a vacation up there since summers can get too chilly in Toronto and if I do decide to spend money for a vacation it'll likely be somewhere much warmer.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 PM

I haven't been to Thunder Bay but I've heard it's pretty comprable to Marquette (except it is larger) - and I love Marquette.

I just really love Lake Superior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.