Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 10:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times

Advertisements

Updown Houston is the best answer I have seen in the thread, maybe the best one there is. It's hard to find an example that's actually in the city aswell and has the high rises and shopping with the low density tracts aswell.

I haven't seen anyone mention Scottsdale in here. While there are a lot of differences, this is one of the few where it has a similar name recognition to Buckhead, among other similarities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 01:06 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Overrating the relevance of a shopping mall. Tysons Corner (the mall) has been going downhill for a while like all malls.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:23 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Bethesda MD and Bellevue WA are the obvious answers. I'd add White Plains NY and Old Scottsdale AZ as maybes well. Other than that not much.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Overrating the relevance of a shopping mall. Tysons Corner (the mall) has been going downhill for a while like all malls.
Depends on what your definition of going downhill is. It's still extremely busy every weekend. In Fact many malls are objectively extremely busy on a regular basis and not at any risk of closing. The downfall of malls, while a common occurrence is not universal.

Old 07-03-2023, 02:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Quote:
LOL if you think Tysons Corner Mall is going downhill, then pretty much no malls are any good. Tysons is full of people every time I go there on weekends (I usually go on my off weekdays just to avoid the crowd).

Go to Fair Oaks Mall or Springfield Town Center...or for that matter Pentagon City. Those are "downhill". Hack, over on this side of Potomac, malls like Westfield Montgomery or Columbia Mall I would say went somewhat downhill, but even those malls won't go out of business anytime soon.

And the mall only comes into play b/c, like it or not, the two premier malls in Metro Atlanta are right there in Buckhead. If anything there will be people that tell you Lenox Square / Phipps Plaza also went downhill.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:22 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I agree with this.

Uptown Houston and Buckhead are very similar areas, probably the most similar comparisons for the topic of this thread.

Both are districts of fast-growing metro areas, and districts with high incomes, high end stores, good restaurants and bars, and expensive flashy lux housing including townhomes, posh condos and mansions.
Honestly, as far as bard Uptown/River Oaks Houston isnt traditionally good in that area. That’s one place where Buckhead had the upset hand in. But it has been getting A LOT better as of late. Plenty of high end lounges opening in the area. Most of Houston’s nightlife centers in and adjacent to downtown (Washington, midtown, third ward, Montrose and so forth). But Uptown is becoming more accessible to that region particularly now with the Uber era and all.

The integration of western River oaks and greenway with uptown also seems to have sparked a nightlife scene for whatever reason.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Depends on what your definition of going downhill is. It's still extremely busy every weekend. In Fact many malls are objectively extremely busy on a regular basis and not at any risk of closing. The downfall of malls, while a common occurrence is not universal.

There's too much riff-raff at Tysons now every time I go. There's kids doing dope and messing around in the parking garages on weekend nights. There was a shooting and a few other incidents involving criminals last year.

People who've followed the 'mall scene' know that kind of thing doesn't bode well for malls. Once the suburban families think the scene is too edgy, they'll stop going, and that's when the mall tanks.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:09 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
There's too much riff-raff at Tysons now every time I go. There's kids doing dope and messing around in the parking garages on weekend nights. There was a shooting and a few other incidents involving criminals last year.

People who've followed the 'mall scene' know that kind of thing doesn't bode well for malls. Once the suburban families think the scene is too edgy, they'll stop going, and that's when the mall tanks.
People have been saying this about every large mall in the US

Old 07-03-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
People have been saying this about every large mall in the US
And many large malls have gone the way of the dodo.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:13 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
LOL if you think Tysons Corner Mall is going downhill, then pretty much no malls are any good. Tysons is full of people every time I go there on weekends (I usually go on my off weekdays just to avoid the crowd).

Go to Fair Oaks Mall or Springfield Town Center...or for that matter Pentagon City. Those are "downhill". Hack, over on this side of Potomac, malls like Westfield Montgomery or Columbia Mall I would say went somewhat downhill, but even those malls won't go out of business anytime soon.

And the mall only comes into play b/c, like it or not, the two premier malls in Metro Atlanta are right there in Buckhead. If anything there will be people that tell you Lenox Square / Phipps Plaza also went downhill.
The last time I went to Fair Oaks Mall (about a year ago) it was pretty much a ghost town.

Potomac Mills and Tysons are the only malls I've gone to these days that seems to be doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Updown Houston is the best answer I have seen in the thread, maybe the best one there is. It's hard to find an example that's actually in the city aswell and has the high rises and shopping with the low density tracts aswell.

I haven't seen anyone mention Scottsdale in here. While there are a lot of differences, this is one of the few where it has a similar name recognition to Buckhead, among other similarities

Definitely agree on Houston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.