Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2023, 07:03 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,289,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Bethesda MD and Bellevue WA are the obvious answers. I'd add White Plains NY and Old Scottsdale AZ as maybes well. Other than that not much.
I agree on these. I’ll add some of NoVa, Cambridge, MA, and the University area of Dallas. West Hollywood and Evanston, IL are sort of similar too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 03:40 PM

9,889 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Buckhead Atlanta

https://youtu.be/A3gb1q9ITlk

Greater Uptown Houston

https://youtu.be/TIxNP_4UAks

Old 07-04-2023, 08:31 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Uptown Houston is the closest area to Buckhead out there.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:12 PM

8,861 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Yeah, they both have impressive tower collections but also huge parking ratios, with garages typically above-grade, and plenty of old-style suburbia as well. And they're bisected by freeways.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Buckhead reminds me of Schaumburg, IL
I been to ATL but am not terribly familiar with Buckhead, though looking back at my Google maps timeline I was in that area, but I work in Bloomington, MN and I passed through Schaumburg, IL and I swore to God I was back in Bloomington lol It looks identical.

No part of ATL reminded me of Schaumburg or Bloomington

Old 07-05-2023, 05:12 PM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I been to ATL but am not terribly familiar with Buckhead, though looking back at my Google maps timeline I was in that area, but I work in Bloomington, MN and I passed through Schaumburg, IL and I swore to God I was back in Bloomington lol It looks identical.

No part of ATL reminded me of Schaumburg or Bloomington
Buckhead and Schaumburg are nothing alike. Schaumburg is just pure sprawl with no intention of urbanizing whereas Buckhead has high rises all over and is actively urbanizing. Buckhead is also far more luxurious than Schaumburg as well. The best answer to this form is the Uptown Houston area with Tysons and Century City being distant seconds and thirds.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:23 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Someone upthread mentioned being within city limits -- that's probably crucial, since any separately incorporated old-money suburb probably would have halted commercial growth long before it achieved Buckhead's high-rise scale. Buckhead (and Uptown Houston) only happened because pro-growth factions from outside the neighborhood were easily able to overrule the neighbors' NIMBY tendencies.

It was fairly typical in the pre-zoning, pre-sprawl era for the fashionable shopping district to move away from "downtown" and towards "uptown" (the rich peoples' houses). In NYC, they steadily marched north from Grand Street to Ladies Mile and finally to Fifth and Madison: "department store owners chased elite society, leaping from one district to another in an attempt to remain close to the trendsetters." Chicago saw the rise of North Michigan Avenue -- whose dominance is now threatened by the Clybourn/Armitage corridor, though that's now zoning-constrained. Boston's shopping moved from Downtown Crossing to Back Bay.

With that in mind, other "uptown" retail centers within city limits that aren't entirely post-1960s sprawl, but never caught on as big office districts:
- Green Hills, Nashville
- Cherry Creek, Denver
- NorthPark, Dallas
- The Domain, Austin
- Century City, Los Angeles
- How about Coconut Grove, even though the main retail foci are just across the line in Coral Gables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I work in Bloomington, MN
Edina is the better Twin Cities analogue, and Birmingham / Somerset perhaps a version for southeast Michigan. Both are major retail and employment centers, but not really regional-scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.