Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times

Advertisements

We all know that there are misconceptions of cities, states or regions. There are a lot of misconceptions of the Coasts. I have my misconceptions of the coasts my misconceptions were that they have always been handed things, their the media's best friend and people think that anything beyond the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans are the wastelands. So, what are the misconceptions of the Coasts, East and/or West? Whether you're a lifelong resident, transplant, transient or a former resident tell me the misconceptions and how and/or why things are not what they seem.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 03-13-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
The water at the beach is always warm?

Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

ha or that its always sunny in Philadelphia

Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
We all know that there are misconceptions of cities, states or regions. There are a lot of misconceptions of the Coasts. I have my misconceptions of the coasts my misconceptions were that they have always been handed things, their the media's best friend and people think that anything beyond the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans are the wastelands. So, what are the misconceptions of the Coasts? Whether you're a lifelong resident, transplant, transient or a former resident tell me the misconceptions and how and/or why things are not what they seem.
Well as you say, the Northeast and California always being "handed things" is a major misconception right there. These states, such as New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania either built the highways, railroads, canals, bridges etc. in their borders or they got together the private interests that did.

For instance, your from Cleveland so I guess you know the importance of the Erie Canal to your city. And it was built by New York State, NOT by the Federal government. To this day New York is still running the Erie Canal and several other canals.

In contrast there are other states in this country who won't build a thing, not even a highway, unless the Federal government pays for it. Then they brag about their low state taxes. Those are the real states being "handed things".

Old 03-13-2018, 03:20 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
This x100

When I moved to the Bay Area, I had never visited the Pacific Ocean before, and boy was running & jumping in a terrible idea. It’s like 50ish degrees all the time here

Old 03-13-2018, 03:57 PM

66 posts, read 75,779 times
I feel like when people think of "coastal California" they think of warm weather and warm water, palm trees, pristine white sandy beaches. And that everyone is rich and drives a Maserati. 1/2-3/4 of the state's coast is very cold water, pretty cool weather with fog, and pebble/gravel beaches.

Where I lived in Morro Bay, its cold, foggy, and smells like seaweed (which is actually my favorite). Everyone I was friends with lived in a camper, trailer home, or boat like I did at the time. If you go even further north many beaches loose their sand and have cliffs and pebbles. Most of Southern California's beaches are dirty with sewer lines running right into the water you're surfing or swimming in. And crowded.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidneyGee View Post
I feel like when people think of "coastal California" they think of warm weather and warm water, palm trees, pristine white sandy beaches. And that everyone is rich and drives a Maserati. 1/2-3/4 of the state's coast is very cold water, pretty cool weather with fog, and pebble/gravel beaches.

Where I lived in Morro Bay, its cold, foggy, and smells like seaweed (which is actually my favorite). Everyone I was friends with lived in a camper, trailer home, or boat like I did at the time. If you go even further north many beaches loose their sand and have cliffs and pebbles. Most of Southern California's beaches are dirty with sewer lines running right into the water you're surfing or swimming in. And crowded.

Morro Bay has that rock that looks like it fell from space

another thing that surprised me along that part of the coast was the number of oil rigs

pretty area though

also could make a sort of separate argument (and you waste lines got me thinking as am at times surprised by the number and size of those in parts of Cali)

People might be surprised how clean and warm the ocean can be even in NJ, also mile after mile of nice sandy beaches

Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
This x100

When I moved to the Bay Area, I had never visited the Pacific Ocean before, and boy was running & jumping in a terrible idea. It’s like 50ish degrees all the time here
I once tried going swimming in Puget Sound. Forget it. And it was mid-summer!

Old 03-13-2018, 05:06 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
I once tried going swimming in Puget Sound. Forget it. And it was mid-summer!
I was in Half Moon Bay my first time, and it was also summer. After I jumped in & froze, checked the water temp.and it was 53 degrees.

Lake Tahoe is warmer than that in September!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I don't think many people realize that the Rust Belt actually extends to the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.