Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:39 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
+8 and counting. Guess I’m not the only one who thinks Texas is an absolute joke.

But, a cheap joke!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkjewgF8GQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Cost is kinda cheating - most people would gladly live in the Bay Area or NYC or whatever if they could afford it. These places are obviously conventionally desirable on other metrics.

Here's my answer: I'd move to Cleveland if it weren't in the Midwest - even if it were just a hundred or so miles to the east across the arbitrary political boundary of Pennsylvania. The city's oddly fascinating to me, and it has surprisingly decent public transit considering its size, but I feel a need to escape my home region while I'm still young.

I'd move to Phoenix if it had a comprehensive light rail system. Seems interesting to live in a city that's so diametrically opposite what I'm used to - but I don't want a car anytime soon.
We have light rail, and are adding another 42 miles based on a voter initiative that passed in 2014

Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
Family keeps me in the Southeastern US, but if I didn't consider need to be close to them, I would move to:

The Bay Area, if it was affordable and a little warmer

Seattle if it was warmer and less rainy

Salt Lake City if it was warmer and I didn't fear being culturally isolated

St. George, UT if I didn't fear being culturally isolated

Prescott, AZ if it had warmer winters

Sedona, AZ if it wasn't so crowded, had more to do aside from the spectacular hiking, and had fewer crystal worshipers and people who climb the rocks, do yoga, and howl like coyotes

Florida if it had mountains

The Washington, DC area if it was more affordable and winters were warmer

Old 03-17-2018, 06:06 AM

I would move to either Chicago or New York City if they had Mediterranean climates

I'd consider Dallas if they didn't have such unstable weather and if they were drier humidity wise

I'd move to Kingman, AZ if it had a job market, best climate in Arizona

Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
I'd move to Hawaii, San Francisco, or NYC if they'd drop their income taxes {3 different reasons for each move, but same reason I don't live in any - income tax}.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We have light rail, and are adding another 42 miles based on a voter initiative that passed in 2014
Living in the Phoenix area, it's simply not enough, and not fast enough. This metro is so huge, and the light rail only covers a small area - there should be a lot more focus into the suburbs, I'd say.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Living in the Phoenix area, it's simply not enough, and not fast enough. This metro is so huge, and the light rail only covers a small area - there should be a lot more focus into the suburbs, I'd say.
It's enough for me, but then again, I live Downtown, and not in Gilbert or Surprise (or even northern Phoenix proper for that matter) where mass transit won't be effective

And the suburbs had their chance to expand light rail, but we saw what Glendale did, they took the tax money that voters agreed to pay for light rail, and renegged, and instead of refunding that $100 million back to the residents of Glendale who paid it, they are just going to annex more land a build more roads and housing developments instead! That's outright theft.

And the 2014 voter initiative for that 42 miles of extra light rail was only for the city of Phoenix, not all of Maricopa County; so we reap the benefits only. And unlike Glendale, they have already broken ground on the new lines here....

Old 03-17-2018, 11:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I'd move to California if not for the earthquakes, the high cost of living, and the people and state government treating everybody with a worldview to the right of Bernie Sanders like they're an existential threat to civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.