Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:52 AM

45 posts, read 66,886 times

Advertisements

So I am living in California but I am going to be transferring out of my community college. I still have the option to stay here so I am not set in stone that I am going to leave. I love California, it is just that the main schools here usually take 2 years to get into and I would like to get in as a sophomore so I can somewhat enjoy my time in somewhere.

I'm currently looking into U of Oklahoma, LSU, and U of Nebraska

How would anyone who's been there rank these states in terms of: Fun/Nightlife, Food, Weather, People, Culture

Thanks so much I really appreciate it. And if you have any other info you think would be informative and if any alumni have anything to say about any of the schools feel free to add something. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
LSU does slightly better with geographic diversity than OU (both with about 20%-25% from out of state) while Nebraska is very much an in-state school with around 10% from out of state. OU does slightly better with ethnic diversity but LSU has upped it's diversity in recent years and is fairly close now to what OU represents. Nebraska is a bit lacking in that department as well with less than 3% of the student body Black or Asian. LSU will have much better weather than OU or Nebraska, especially in winter. It's probably a draw for fun/nightlife as all three are major universities. In terms of the cities attached Baton Rouge and Lincoln are about the same size (275K-ish) while Norman is just 110K, and would give the edge to Baton Rouge again for it's people and Cajun cultural influences.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:48 AM

80 posts, read 66,069 times
I'm going to be biased since I graduated from there, but OU is an excellent school. The campus is very vibrant, there are always things to do. If you like to be active, they have a top class gym that's free to students, bike paths all over the campus and city, and plenty of fields and parks for sports. People are very friendly. OU is growing and building new facilities rapidly. There are always new things each year. The facilities for most upper class courses are also very nice.

Norman, when it's fall/spring semester, has a few vibrant nightlife areas on Campus Corner and Main Street. But you are only a short 20 minute drive up I-35 to OKC which has some great nightlife options. Tons of bars, clubs, and restaurants that are worth the drive.

The weather is crazy, but you've probably already heard that. It gets hot in the summers, fairly mild winters with a few really cold days and an occasional snow or ice storm. Spring and fall are when it gets interesting. A week in spring can go from a high of 80 one day to 40 the next, then back up to 65, then back down to 40. It fluctuates frequently. Tornados happen, but they seem to be blown out of proportion by people who don't even live here. OU has great basement and storm shelters all over campus if bad weather happens while you are there. Many buildings are designed with bad weather in mind.

One last thing about OU, if you get a degree in business or engineering with a high GPA, then you will graduate with multiple offers from the top companies in the region. OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, Houston (for petroleum engineering) etc. OU is highly respected in this part of the country, especially for those 2 sets of majors. I haven't checked recently, but last I checked, for many degrees, OU ranks higher nationally. If you wanted to move back after getting your degree.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:52 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
So I am living in California but I am going to be transferring out of my community college. I still have the option to stay here so I am not set in stone that I am going to leave. I love California, it is just that the main schools here usually take 2 years to get into and I would like to get in as a sophomore so I can somewhat enjoy my time in somewhere.

I'm currently looking into U of Oklahoma, LSU, and U of Nebraska

How would anyone who's been there rank these states in terms of: Fun/Nightlife, Food, Weather, People, Culture

Thanks so much I really appreciate it. And if you have any other info you think would be informative and if any alumni have anything to say about any of the schools feel free to add something. Thanks!
Fun/Nightlife - LSU, OU, Ne
Food - LSU, OU, Ne
Weather - OU, LSU, Ne
People - Tie
Culture - LSU

All 3 have great football culture if that's of any concern.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 AM

45 posts, read 66,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
I'm going to be biased since I graduated from there, but OU is an excellent school. The campus is very vibrant, there are always things to do. If you like to be active, they have a top class gym that's free to students, bike paths all over the campus and city, and plenty of fields and parks for sports. People are very friendly. OU is growing and building new facilities rapidly. There are always new things each year. The facilities for most upper class courses are also very nice.

Norman, when it's fall/spring semester, has a few vibrant nightlife areas on Campus Corner and Main Street. But you are only a short 20 minute drive up I-35 to OKC which has some great nightlife options. Tons of bars, clubs, and restaurants that are worth the drive.

The weather is crazy, but you've probably already heard that. It gets hot in the summers, fairly mild winters with a few really cold days and an occasional snow or ice storm. Spring and fall are when it gets interesting. A week in spring can go from a high of 80 one day to 40 the next, then back up to 65, then back down to 40. It fluctuates frequently. Tornados happen, but they seem to be blown out of proportion by people who don't even live here. OU has great basement and storm shelters all over campus if bad weather happens while you are there. Many buildings are designed with bad weather in mind.

One last thing about OU, if you get a degree in business or engineering with a high GPA, then you will graduate with multiple offers from the top companies in the region. OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, Houston (for petroleum engineering) etc. OU is highly respected in this part of the country, especially for those 2 sets of majors. I haven't checked recently, but last I checked, for many degrees, OU ranks higher nationally. If you wanted to move back after getting your degree.
I appreciate the post. As of right now I am actually leaning towards OU. It seems to have everything that I want and I am actually going for international business/marketing and minoring in Japanese (I plan to work there eventually.) And the most important, because I will be 27 when I transfer, is that the age diversity ranks a lot better than most major Uni's, even though it's still middle of the pack.

My biggest worry is that Norman would get boring or just not be fun. I've lived my life in NJ for 25 years and the past year in California, so it will be a major change. I don't mind the conservative culture as long as it isn't forced, but just those few things make me worry.

How did you like the college game days? And did you find the nightlife/parties at OU to be stimulating or were they lacking? How did you feel about the facilities? Sorry for all the follow ups I'm just curious.

As to everyone else who posted I really appreciate the responses. I have heard Louisiana summers can be BRUTAL which is one of my fears for there, but I have heard it is some of the best food in the entire country.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:40 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
I appreciate the post. As of right now I am actually leaning towards OU. It seems to have everything that I want and I am actually going for international business/marketing and minoring in Japanese (I plan to work there eventually.) And the most important, because I will be 27 when I transfer, is that the age diversity ranks a lot better than most major Uni's, even though it's still middle of the pack.

My biggest worry is that Norman would get boring or just not be fun. I've lived my life in NJ for 25 years and the past year in California, so it will be a major change. I don't mind the conservative culture as long as it isn't forced, but just those few things make me worry.

How did you like the college game days? And did you find the nightlife/parties at OU to be stimulating or were they lacking? How did you feel about the facilities? Sorry for all the follow ups I'm just curious.

As to everyone else who posted I really appreciate the responses. I have heard Louisiana summers can be BRUTAL which is one of my fears for there, but I have heard it is some of the best food in the entire country.
A couple of things here. OU/Norman is considered the most "liberal" place in Oklahoma. It's really not that liberal but it certainly isn't conservative as the rest of the state.

OU/Norman is part of the OKC metro area. As a result, OU/Norman is similar to a typical "college town" that is located in a large metro. A bit moreso than the other two which are college towns but don't have the smaller feel of Norman because they are closer to the heart of their own metros. So at OU you get the feel of both. However at OU you would need a car to access OKC for the most part.

Nebraska is right downtown Lincoln. So pretty much all the action is right there. The problem with Nebraska is that it is MUCH colder and snowier than the other two. But if you are from NJ you may not mind. Also, NU's campus is kind of blah. OU and LSU have much nicer campuses.

LSU is nice. Proximity to New Orleans is a plus as well. Nice campus. A little less stuff right adjacent to campus than the other two as far as bars/restaurants and such (particularly NU). Probably the biggest drawback to there is Baton Rouge is the roughest town. But a plus is that Southern University is there as well so you have access to events and students and such from Southern. I bring this up in that I spent a brief period of time in Tallahassee Florida and it has FSU and FAMU. I went to a few things at FAMU that they had to offer and that was kind of neat. Baton Rouge has the same set up.

I like all three schools and football is great at all three as far as game day stuff.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
I would check the weather in Oklahoma in summer which isn't much better, if any..

Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Norman is by no means boring, but you will probably end up driving up to OKC for the better entertainment and nightlife options. The culture in Norman/OKC is not forced conservatism. In fact most people I meet lean liberal or live and let live. I've been in the area since 2007 and never once had someone force a conservative opinion on me. You're more likely to have liberal opinions forced on you around campus than anything else, especially with today's political climate.

College game days at OU compare with best in the county. Maybe not quite as intense as some SEC games I've been too, but you can't beat over 100,000 people converging on the stadium on Saturday and throwing a big tailgating party leading up to a game. If OU wins, which is often, then the party goes on all night.

As far as parties at OU there are a mix of frat parties, which at 27, you'll most likely want to avoid, and then house parties. House parties in Norman are great. Most people live really close to campus in fairly large houses. It just all depends on the friends you make. Most apartment complexes throw pool parties when it's warm. But if you are hanging out with anyone over 21, they will likely want to make the trip up to OKC for the better bars and clubs.

The facilities at OU are top notch, mostly: I say mostly, because as with anywhere there's always going to be older buildings needing work. But the Price College of Buisneas is really nice and new. They have a ton of study rooms, and lounges that make it easy to coordinate projects for classes.

Summers in Oklahoma get just as hot as Louisiana, but with less humidity.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 AM

793 posts, read 1,112,540 times
I graduated from OU as well a few years ago and I absolutely loved it. There's always something to do between Norman and OKC, and the people and culture of OU is great. Norman itself is liberal, as is central OKC (where I live now and I love it).

Old 03-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I graduated from OU as well a few years ago and I absolutely loved it. There's always something to do between Norman and OKC, and the people and culture of OU is great. Norman itself is liberal, as is central OKC (where I live now and I love it).
Take it from the people that actually live in Norman and OKC as to the political and cultural climate. Norman and the core of OKC are by no means conservative. You'll see a bunch of people on here post the opposite, but they clearly haven't lived here or been here in the past 10 years. Outside of the city it gets more and more conservative. But that's almost every area in the US. Rural areas tend to be heavily red, while inner cities tend to lean blue. Same with OKC/Norman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.