Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In metro ATL, a big one is Fayette County but not many people are aware of that.
Fayette County has strict zoning and development rules, and cheap multi-family housing is very limited there. It is a dramatic contrast from adjacent Clayton County, which while retaining some middle class residents is overall the worst off major county in metro Atlanta. Within metro Atlanta the southern suburbs tend to be less in the spotlight than the northern suburbs, so many are not aware of the critical mass of affluence in Fayette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:20 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea I didn’t go much digging in the figures category but just reported what theroot and bet reported.
I was actually surprised that some NYC locations made the list to be honest!
I’m not surprised and some are moving to Orange, Dutchess and to a lesser degree Putnam counties further north in NY.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Fayette County has strict zoning and development rules, and cheap multi-family housing is very limited there. It is a dramatic contrast from adjacent Clayton County, which while retaining some middle class residents is overall the worst off major county in metro Atlanta. Within metro Atlanta the southern suburbs tend to be less in the spotlight than the northern suburbs, so many are not aware of the critical mass of affluence in Fayette.
Yep. There are even parts where the Black median household income is higher than the White median household income. And we're talking about median incomes of at least 80K.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:42 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some go to Teaneck, South Orange, Maplewood, West Orange, etc. in NJ; parts of Rockland County NY(Hillcrest(Ramapo SD), South Nyack(Nyack SD), etc.); parts of Westchester County NY(North White Plains/southern end of Valhalla SD, northern Mount Vernon, northern Pelham, western/northern New Rochelle, etc.) and Long Island(Nassau and Suffolk counties)(the Valley Streams, parts of Elmont, Baldwin/NW Freeport, northern Westbury/New Cassel(Westbury SD), Wheatley Heights(Half Hollow Hills SD), Lakeview(Malverne SD), etc.).
Yea North NJ seems to have a hub for well to do black especially when compared to Central NJ.

You’ll be my guide for Westchester county because I’m only aware of black communities in Mt. Vernon, Yonkers and Rockland County (I am Haitian-American after all)

Old 04-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. There are even parts where the Black median household income is higher than the White median household income. And we're talking about median incomes of at least 80K.
Funny you being that up because at one point Black households surpassing white households Existed in Queens.

Here are two old articles speaking about it!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/10/0.../01census.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/06/n...ld-income.html

But I think the housing crash and gentrification of northern Queens might have had whites slightly back on top!

Old 04-01-2018, 12:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Funny you being that up because at one point Black households surpassing white households Existed in Queens.

Here are two old articles speaking about it!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/10/0.../01census.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/06/n...ld-income.html

But I think the housing crash and gentrification of northern Queens might have had whites slightly back on top!
I can believe it. I know that when a lot of people think about Black neighborhoods in NYC, they tend to think of Harlem, Bed-Stuy, South Bronx, etc. but I believe Queens has been home to the biggest concentration of middle-income Black households in NYC for a while now.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yea North NJ seems to have a hub for well to do black especially when compared to Central NJ.

You’ll be my guide for Westchester county because I’m only aware of black communities in Mt. Vernon, Yonkers and Rockland County (I am Haitian-American after all)
The Greenburgh Central SD area, White Plains, New Rochelle, Ossining, Peekskill, Elmsford and to a lesser degree Tuckahoe, Pelham, Manaroneck, Port Chester and some of the other Rivertowns(Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, etc.) are other places in Westchester County with at least visible Black populations.

In Orange County; Mechanicstown, Scotchtown, Balmville, Harriman, Orange Lake and Maybrook are some places with Black percentages at least at and above the national Black percentage that have middle class Black median household incomes. Most are either near the main cities of Middletown(21.9% Black) or Newburgh(28.3% Black).

In Dutchess County, Arlington(CDP) outside of Poughkeepsie(37.4% Black), is a small community that is 22% Black and has a middle class Black median household income. Vassar College is partially in that community. Beacon(18.3% Black), is a small city to the south in that county and has been a popular for its Art scene, with some people from NYC of various backgrounds moving there.

You can view some information on this page: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nities-16.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 12:51 PM

are there any wealthy suburban black communities that are significantly black? I’m talking 75%+ black?

Old 04-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
are there any wealthy suburban black communities that are significantly black? I’m talking 75%+ black?
Lakeview on Long Island is 74.5%(80.7% including in combination) and has a median household income of $108,438 according to 2016 census information. I believe that out of all NY State cities, villages and census designated places(CDP), it has the highest percentage in the state.

This is the school district that community is in: Malverne Union Free School District

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...=1&CS=9E2D9E07
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=361821001640

Old 04-01-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Lakeview on Long Island is 74.5%(80.7% including in combination) and has a median household income of $108,438 according to 2016 census information. I believe that out of all NY State cities, villages and census designated places(CDP), it has the highest percentage in the state.

This is the school district that community is in: Malverne Union Free School District
Ahhhhhh another W for NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.