Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 06:08 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I was just out in LA the race relations were really really bad out there among a lot of races, everyone kinda stick to their own race even thou it is a super liberal city, it could do more to the superficial nature of the place. In the rich areas like West LA the wealthy blacks, asians and Latinos tend to be more accepted because they are wealthy but they have a just a small percentage of the population compared to the rest of LA. Just my take on it. I think the race relations in the South are pretty good overall and not any worse than any other region in the USA that is my point.

In Southern California race relationships are only bad with low status low socioeconomic Caucasian , African-American , Latinos and Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Yes, most Southern cities vote solidly blue, with rural areas going solidly red.

I understand the appeal of year-round mild weather in California, but it only exists along the coasts. And maybe it's just me, but in spite of the gorgeous landscapes in parts of California, I find a lot of it quite ugly and unappealing. Liberal politics is one thing, but California takes too many things to an extreme for my taste, or they focus on the wrong things.

I live in the South without the heat. I've lived in the Western North Carolina mountains, currently live in the North Georgia mountains, and intend to move back to the WNC mountains.

I'm only at about 1,800 feet altitude now. My average summer temperature is a high of 85 degrees, which is still pretty mild. The area I intend to move to is at the sweet spot between 3,500 and 4,000 feet altitude and that will give me summer temperatures in the 70s. It will also be colder, but not significantly colder.

Suburbs here are situated in forests and most houses have spectacular views. Many waterfalls! Lakes! You can also live on acreage. California wouldn't be more beautiful than what I have right here.

North Carolina is a purple state, rather than a red or blue state, and I like that too. Though NC has had a couple of trials lately, it's usually not extreme in either direction.

Also . . . we have four seasons, incredible cloud formations, and dramatic thunderstorms . . . I'd miss that in California.

Well to each their own , it's your prerogative to find " a lot " and you did say " a lot " of California looking ugly... What part of the south looked better than California? Jiminy Cricket inquiring minds sure would like to know?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
From my observations, yeah they do. And are willing to put up with bad treatment or bad behavior from whites to get acceptance from them.
Cool. From my observations they don't.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hope you don't blame that on white folks. I assure you that most white folks I know would be bemused by this at the least, and possibly shocked. They aren't studying Asian or Hispanic folks Jonesin' for lighter skin. It hasn't even crossed their minds.
Not at all. To Asians at least, if you're dark, it means you work a lot out doors. If you're light, it means you're likely wealthy. Socioeconomic, not racial thing.

Of course, I'm Asian and I do my best to tan. And ironically enough, whites love to tan.

I don't blame anything on any ethnicity. This is a great country and you make your own breaks.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That's because they are oblivious to the negative impact colonization and institutionalized racism has had on people of color.
Do people of color sit around and think about how the white people they see today didn't do any colonizing and didn't ask to be born into their circumstances anymore than anyone else did? Do they sit around and think of the struggles of poor white people, racism against other ethnic groups, how poverty affects poor white folks, why or when different white peoples' ancestors came here, etc?

I didn't think so. Most people are just going around in their own world doing their own thing, pretty oblivious to the needs or motivations of people they don't know or care about.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Was just proposing the most probable reason for Pearl's racial makeup. It all becomes a lot less interesting from there.
You're not kidding. I wouldn't want to live anywhere around there, regardless of demographics. Even if Bruno Mars DOES like it there.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not at all. To Asians at least, if you're dark, it means you work a lot out doors. If you're light, it means you're likely wealthy. Socioeconomic, not racial thing.

Of course, I'm Asian and I do my best to tan. And ironically enough, whites love to tan.

I don't blame anything on any ethnicity. This is a great country and you make your own breaks.
Well, right on.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
In Southern California race relationships are only bad with low status low socioeconomic Caucasian , African-American , Latinos and Asian.
Agree

Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Most people are just going around in their own world doing their own thing, pretty oblivious to the needs or motivations of people they don't know or care about.
Yep. Such a Christian nation we are.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Do people of color sit around and think about how the white people they see today didn't do any colonizing and didn't ask to be born into their circumstances anymore than anyone else did? Do they sit around and think of the struggles of poor white people, racism against other ethnic groups, how poverty affects poor white folks, why or when different white peoples' ancestors came here, etc?
The difference is that these problems have not been caused by people of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.