Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Between the Northeast and Midwest to the South for the past year: (from the census)

Midwest to South: 386,000
South to Midwest: 300,000
Net Movement: 86,000
% of Midwest population: 0.13%

Northeast to South: 376,000
South to Northeast: 256,000
Net Movement: 120,000
% of Northeast population: 0.22%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
You can break it down more by race:

White:

South to Midwest: 222,000
Midwest to South: 214,000
Midwest Net Gain: +8,000

South to Northeast: 141,000
Northeast to South: 218,000
South Net Gain: +77,000

Black:

South to Midwest: 21,000
Midwest to South: 77,000
South Net Gain: +56,000

South to Northeast: 47,000
Northeast to South: 70,000
South Net Gain: +23,000

Hispanic:

South to Midwest: 30,000
Midwest to South: 36,000
South Net Gain: +6,000

South to Northeast: 58,000
Northeast to South: 60,000
Northeast Net Gain: +2,000

I never would have guessed the Midwest is net gaining whites from down south, but I'm not surprised there's a huge movement of the black population from the Midwest to the South.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Sure, some regions of the South have a low cost of living, but so are the salaries. I live in an area where the median household income is just in the mid $30k range.

If you're looking at wages/cost of living ratio, the Midwest is going to win in most cases. I'm from Tennessee, worked in a rural of Virginia, and moved to Iowa in 2012. The same job and job title, with two Fortune 500 companies, paid 50% more in Des Moines, Iowa with better benefits. When I moved back in 2013, I made half of what I did in Iowa at yet another Fortune 500 IT support job. I moved to Indianapolis in 2014 and more than doubled my income, and tripled my last TN income within two years of living in Indiana. I moved back to TN in 2016, keeping my IN salary.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
We're not. And some of us never intend to.

~Happily living in the Midwest.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
The south is not one monolithic region. Some parts of each state are poverty-stricken, while others enjoy excellent fishing, recreation, education, universities, health care, and culture. For childless retirees, the quality of public schools may not be a consideration.

Mountain Home (full of retired Chicagoans) and Fayetteville Arkansas, are vastly more attractive than the poverty-stricken cotton Delta region of south and east Arkansas.

Asheville, Raleigh, Brevard, and Cary, North Carolina have vastly higher standards and sophistication than Rocky Mount or Tarboro.

Clemson - Seneca South Carolina, much better metrics than Sumter or Orangeburg.

Williamsburg and Charlottesville Virginia, much better standards and economy than Martinsville, Wise, or Emporia.

Huntsville or Fairhope Alabama, much better than Selma.

Oxford Mississippi, much better than Tunica or the Delta cottonfields region.

Rhode Island has the highest electricity rates per killowatt hour in the nation. Tennessee one of the lowest, due to its hydroelectric dams.

Property taxes throughout New York State, New Jersey, and New England are outrageously high, while in Alabama they are extremely low.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You get what you pay for most of the time in terms of better employment opportunities, infrastructure, schools, etc with higher property taxes. You couldn't pay me to live in most places with VERY LOW property taxes. Those places just don't function at the same level of areas I grew up in and am more accustomed to. I think there is a map out there that shows all of the counties where the average property taxes are less than $1,000 a year. All generally have median household incomes and educational attainment well below the national average, most being in the rural South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed, but there is a middle ground between paying next to nothing and being gauged for no good reason to a very real breaking point of feeling forced to leave whether we wanted to or not.
Personally, I'm getting to the point where I don't care one way or the other though. We're looking into ways to work more remotely and just spending a lot more time travelling, perhaps never calling one place home, which seems overrated anyway.
Granite, while I get you what you are saying to a degree, but there comes a point where the tax and cost living situation becomes insane. And the money you are paying is just being wasted.

Like for example, small school districts where the school superintendents making more money than the Governor or even the President of the United States. Why is this even allowed? Who just wastes the taxpayers money like that?

Or the feeling that you are being ripped off for the pleasure of overpaying for a ride on a publicly run railroad where some workers retire as early as age 50. Retirement at only fifty! Most of us have to hit the lottery or work 24/7 for 30 years to afford that. But they get it simply because they work for the government. And guess who has to pay for it?

And then this being New York, you come to the welfare fraud.

So more and more people are wondering, is it truly worth it?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
This ^^^

It's a misconception that all of the South has cheap housing and that all of the North has expensive housing. While overall the South has less expensive housing there are exceptions.

The area of Nashville that we lived around had an average home price of $225K if you wanted anything decent. In my current area (definitely 'up North') you can get a decent house for under $100K.

Kentucky was pretty good for housing; $850 a month for 3200 sq feet condo.
But you're comparing Erie to Nashville. Now, compare Boston to Nashville.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The south is not one monolithic region. Some parts of each state are poverty-stricken, while others enjoy excellent fishing, recreation, education, universities, health care, and culture. For childless retirees, the quality of public schools may not be a consideration.

Mountain Home (full of retired Chicagoans) and Fayetteville Arkansas, are vastly more attractive than the poverty-stricken cotton Delta region of south and east Arkansas.

Asheville, Raleigh, Brevard, and Cary, North Carolina have vastly higher standards and sophistication than Rocky Mount or Tarboro.

Williamsburg and Charlottesville Virginia, much better standards and economy than Martinsville, Wise, or Emporia.

Rhode Island has the highest electricity rates per killowatt hour in the nation. Tennessee one of the lowest, due to its hydroelectric dams.

Property taxes throughout New York State, New Jersey, and New England are outrageously high, while in Alabama they are extremely low.
Property tax rates will be higher in the Northeast, but the median housing prices in the Interior Northeast can be lower than even Southern areas and substantially so, to where housing may actually be lower in those Northeastern areas. So, in terms of housing, the Northeast isn’t monolithic.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

But this really applies to all regions though. The former coal towns and mill towns of Pennsylvania are not growing. The depressed upstate New York cities have been declining for decades. A lot of the of the growth in PA is happening in the desirable Philadelphia suburbs and in the Poconos where rich New Yorkers are moving. Of course the more desirable areas are growing.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Mountain Brook/Vestavia Hills area?
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.