Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:49 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
Denver is more expensive than much of the South because it has high paying jobs and not many high crime areas.
Every large metro has high crime areas.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that the south doesn't have high paying jobs. Why are so many people moving to the south if the jobs don't pay well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You get what you pay for most of the time in terms of better employment opportunities, infrastructure, schools, etc with higher property taxes. You couldn't pay me to live in most places with VERY LOW property taxes. Those places just don't function at the same level of areas I grew up in and am more accustomed to. I think there is a map out there that shows all of the counties where the average property taxes are less than $1,000 a year. All generally have median household incomes and educational attainment well below the national average, most being in the rural South.
Yep.

If somewhere is cheap, it's cheap for a reason. Having said that, that's not to say all cheap areas are the same, there are some nice communities around the country that are on the cheaper side but I agree completely with your assessment.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:00 PM

122 posts, read 91,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Every large metro has high crime areas.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that the south doesn't have high paying jobs. Why are so many people moving to the south if the jobs don't pay well.
Of course there are high paying jobs in the South, just much more of them in the EC and WC. You can check a median salary ranking for comparisons.

And not all large metros are high crime areas. San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Denver etc I'd classify as low crime metros.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:08 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You get what you pay for most of the time in terms of better employment opportunities, infrastructure, schools, etc with higher property taxes. You couldn't pay me to live in most places with VERY LOW property taxes. Those places just don't function at the same level of areas I grew up in and am more accustomed to. I think there is a map out there that shows all of the counties where the average property taxes are less than $1,000 a year. All generally have median household incomes and educational attainment well below the national average, most being in the rural South.
Agreed, but there is a middle ground between paying next to nothing and being gauged for no good reason to a very real breaking point of feeling forced to leave whether we wanted to or not.
Personally, I'm getting to the point where I don't care one way or the other though. We're looking into ways to work more remotely and just spending a lot more time travelling, perhaps never calling one place home, which seems overrated anyway.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
Of course there are high paying jobs in the South, just much more of them in the EC and WC. You can check a median salary ranking for comparisons.

And not all large metros are high crime areas. San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Denver etc I'd classify as low crime metros.
You have to adjust for cost of living.

All of those large cities have more crimes than less populated cities in the southeast.

The reason Denver is more expensive is related to demand vs supply of housing and perhaps various government regulations like environmental stuff.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed, but there is a middle ground between paying next to nothing and being gauged for no good reason to a very real breaking point of feeling forced to leave whether we wanted to or not.
Personally, I'm getting to the point where I don't care one way or the other though. We're looking into ways to work more remotely and just spending a lot more time travelling, perhaps never calling one place home, which seems overrated anyway.
I hate heat and humidity with a passion, so living in the Ohio Valley is much too far south for what I prefer. Overall, the Upper Midwest has a much better quality of life across the board even though taxes are higher.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:32 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Why do you think Denver is expensive? Seems like there is plenty of land...it is basically a prairie.
Because the people who are moving here don’t want the suburban lifestyle on the eastern plains. They want to be close to the mountains and close to the city. Inventory has not kept up.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
A lot of people are also moving West to Portland, Denver, and Seattle where the weather isn't that fantastic, and housing isn't especially cheap.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
I think it has to do with jobs and cost of living than anything else. If your talking about African Americans, then goes even deeper since Blacks have family ties in the South. They want safety for their children when comming from a northern inner city, it's easier to find a less crime-ridden neighborhood in the South than in the North. Blacks been heading back South since the 70s so it's not new at all for African Americans it's just now they have move reasons to move South beyond just safety and family roots.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I think it has to do with jobs and cost of living than anything else. If your talking about African Americans, then goes even deeper since Blacks have family ties in the South. They want safety for their children when comming from a northern inner city, it's easier to find a less crime-ridden neighborhood in the South than in the North. Blacks been heading back South since the 70s so it's not new at all for African Americans it's just now they have move reasons to move South beyond just safety and family roots.
Even with this, it isn’t necessarily occurring to the degree it is made out to be in the media, as many Black people in the Northeast and Midwest just move to the suburbs or even from major cities to smaller cities/areas in their state or region.

Also, the narrative of Black people in Northern areas just living in inner city neighborhoods isn’t true, as there are many Black folks that live in solid/nice city neighborhoods and suburbs, with some doing so for a long time. This is the case in even in “Rust Belt” areas. So, it is kind of annoying to make it seem like all Northeastern or Midwestern Black residents just live in the inner city.

Not all parts of the Northeast have a high cost of living either.

Then, you also have reports of Southern areas having similar issues in terms of mobility and concentrated poverty, even in growing areas. MEDIA RELEASE: Growth in concentrated poverty shows increasing economic, racial segregation, report shows | NC Justice Center

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/2...anted=all&_r=0

Ironically, some of these issues may also come from publications showing how “good” things are going in said areas and people feel like it would be easier to find work in said areas, like this slightly older segment: https://www.wral.com/poverty-rate-so...tros/13890778/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.