Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:20 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times

Advertisements

"Ant" for me. And yeah, I also sense that this is an ethnic thing: black people usually say "ahnt" (rhyming with "font") in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Ever heard anyone refer to those drinks collectively as "pop"?
I'm from Chicago and I and everyone I grew up with says "pop".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just curious, how do the people on the board pronounce the title of your mother or father's sister. And where do you hail from.

As a New Englander we always pronounced it as "aunt" which rhymes with taunt. My Michigan born wife pronounces it "ant".
Born and raised in New England. I pronounce it the same as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Here in New York, it seems like white people say "ant" and black people say "ahnt". I believe most nonwhites in general around here pronounce it the latter way.
I'm now in NYC for over 20 years and I've noticed the same. Non-whites in general say it as "ahnt". It's refreshing to hear it pronounced correctly among a sea of "ants".

Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,635,195 times
My pop's sister was an ant and she loved Pepsi. She called it soda and so did everyone else. The ants outside loved soda too because they would be crawling all over a can if we left one out with a little bit still in it.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
From NY. I say aunt like taunt. Sister says ant. Not sure why we say it differently lol.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just curious, how do the people on the board pronounce the title of your mother or father's sister. And where do you hail from.

As a New Englander we always pronounced it as "aunt" which rhymes with taunt. My Michigan born wife pronounces it "ant".
Rhymes with "ant". Rhyming with "ont" sounds pretentious.

North Alabama.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Born and raised in New England. I pronounce it the same as you.

I'm now in NYC for over 20 years and I've noticed the same. Non-whites in general say it as "ahnt". It's refreshing to hear it pronounced correctly among a sea of "ants".
It's interesting because even for example, Hispanics who otherwise sound white/non-black will say "ahnt" rather than "ant". I wonder what the reason for this is.

I don't know that many Asians personally, so I wonder what they say.

I do agree that ahnt seems like the more correct pronunciation, however I'm so used to saying ant.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Born and raised in the SF Bay Area to blue collar folk, and we say ant.

We also say MAY-nayze for mayonnaise.

My dad grew up in Oakland, CA. My mom grew up in Maine and didn't move to CA until she was around 10 years old. She used to say "I-dear" for idea, until we teased her out of it. But, both my folk said "ant" and "may-nayze."

Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default soda / pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's what they say basically everywhere in the north from the crest of the Appalachians all the way to the Pacific Northwest, barring eastern Wisconsin and St. Louis.
Those maps... OMG. I had no idea this subject had been studied so closely!
Who knows, there may have been dissertations written about it.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:17 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Those maps... OMG. I had no idea this subject had been studied so closely!
Who knows, there may have been dissertations written about it.
Yeah, it's hard to believe that anyone's taken the time (or had the time) to study the idiosyncrasies of speech patterns in various regions of the US, but I'm glad that they did.

I'm pretty sure that most of the studies concluded that Southerners were the only ones who consistently said every word perfectly.

Regional speech patterns in the US will soon be a thing of the past, however. Television plays a large part in that transition.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I grew up in a place a lot of white people pronounced it “ain’t” and black people pronounced it “unt”

My aunts were from Philly so I called then ants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.