Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:34 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I live in northeast TN. Southwest Virginia basically west and south of Wytheville depends on us for "big city" things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:38 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
About 75% of Illinois' population lives in the Chicago metro area. That's why they can forget about the rest of the state.
Yep. And IMHO, we sort of relate more to Wisconsin than we do to downstate Illinois. Of course we were actually suppose to be part of Wisconsin, but the state line was moved 50 or so miles so Illinois could have access to the Great Lakes.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
The African-American community of Washington DC.....with Eastern North Carolina. Hundreds of thousands of transplants and their descendants from Rocky Mount, Tarboro, Goldsboro, Wilson, Fayetteville, which were historically connected with D.C. on the railroad line.

The White community of Washington DC and Baltimore MD, with Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh. In Maryland you see Penn State Univ, and Steelers logos and decals everywhere on cars, and Penn State Univ and Steelers flags everywhere on doorsteps.

The D.C. - N.Y.C. connection is more prevalent in the Montgomery County, MD suburbs, with their large Jewish population.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Yep. And IMHO, we sort of relate more to Wisconsin than we do to downstate Illinois. Of course we were actually suppose to be part of Wisconsin, but the state line was moved 50 or so miles so Illinois could have access to the Great Lakes.
In my experience, as someone who has lived in downstate Illinois, Wisconsin, and Chicago, with family in all three, people in downstate IL are more like the vast majority of Wisconsin, and Iowa or Indiana for that matter (rural, farms, affinity towards hunting, more blue collar, etc) than Chicago is at all like Wisconsin. Chicago and Milwaukee share similarities, but with the majority of Wisconsin? No way.

The population of Illinois is pretty much defined by Chicagoland.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:51 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
They don't call Jacksonville, FL the Capital of South Georgia for nothing.
Although we are equidistant to Jacksonville and Savannah, it's Jacksonville's amenities we are more likely to use. Their airport is on the Georgia side of the city as well. The Jacksonville newspaper (Florida Times-Union) even publishes a Georgia Edition.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/ge...gia-happenings

Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
In my experience, as someone who has lived in downstate Illinois, Wisconsin, and Chicago, with family in all three, people in downstate IL are more like the vast majority of Wisconsin, and Iowa or Indiana for that matter (rural, farms, affinity towards hunting, more blue collar, etc) than Chicago is at all like Wisconsin. Chicago and Milwaukee share similarities, but with the majority of Wisconsin? No way.

The population of Illinois is pretty much defined by Chicagoland.
I've lived in both states as well, and I believe Chicago and Milwaukee definitely have similarities, but the rest of IL, is much sleepier and rural, than most of Wisconsin. Partly because, I guess, IL covers a lot more territory than Wisconsin does. Also, Wisconsin's north is unlike anything that IL has. WI has many, many lakes, that influence a lifestyle, as well. You don't get that in IL. Overall, I love Chicago and Milwaukee, but would take Wisconsin any day of the week, over the rest of IL.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:16 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I've lived in both states as well, and I believe Chicago and Milwaukee definitely have similarities, but the rest of IL, is much sleepier and rural, than most of Wisconsin. Partly because, I guess, IL covers a lot more territory than Wisconsin does. Also, Wisconsin's north is unlike anything that IL has. WI has many, many lakes, that influence a lifestyle, as well. You don't get that in IL. Overall, I love Chicago and Milwaukee, but would take Wisconsin any day of the week, over the rest of IL.
I’m not sure preference has much to do with the question. There are way more similarities between rural people living in WI and IL than either to Chicago. Chicago is the anomaly amongst the Midwest not downstate Illinois.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:55 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
DC-NYC has a strong relationship. Almost every train going back and forth bw the two are sold out daily during weekdays. I used to go bw the two at least 5x a month.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:35 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I have Denver and California because of all the California transplants that have flooded into Colorado in recent years and completely transformed Colorado's culture and politics. Not saying its a good relationship but its a close one. I see Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington as being colonized by California transplants.
What no one ever mentions is the “California transplants” are often from other states originally, many times from the state they’re moving too.

The overwhelming majority of people I know that have moved out of state came here as an adult from somewhere else. Those that are from here, if it wasn’t for their career, got dragged off by a spouse that moved here and wanted to go home. But yet California will get the blame because it’s an big, easy target, and the last stop.

It’s easier to blame someone else than your own, as was the case for my friend when he moved to Texas. It didn’t matter that his wife who was from there wanted to return, it was the Californian. Ironically after a few years she wanted to leave and go back to California, my buddy had the bags waiting.

Full disclosure, I do know a handful of my friend’s parents and a few of my mom’s friends that are natives, or long time Californians, that have retired to Arizona for the cost of living and close proximity to their kids/grandkids here.

As for the question of the thread Lexington, KY and Wellington, FL for those in the equine world.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:53 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Not likely to happen,
United States is a very homogenous (not much cultural diversity) with a very capitalist culture (more emphasis on making money than preserving culture)

That's the reason you only see "strong relationship" with cities from other countries, because those people kept their culture/language.
But there's almost no difference between people from any 2 cities in this country, compared to the differences you see in other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.