U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-31-2018, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
1,325 posts, read 1,119,759 times
Reputation: 1112

Advertisements

Here's a helpful guide in determining what is actually "hip" in your area-

If the local "underground" newspaper is hyping a neighborhood as hip, that means it's not. When you're hip and cool, you simply are, you aren't announcing it to people.

I'm giving this one to Echo Park in Los Angeles. Silver Lake is a close second, but they have too much hype telling me they are hip, so it seems contrived and they lose.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,156,722 times
Reputation: 7508
Don't do hipster, or would even want to. Might be hard to keep from laughing though. Are people still really into that?

Hipster is a desperate and comical need for attention.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,916 posts, read 6,344,351 times
Reputation: 12622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Don't do hipster, or would even want to. Might be hard to keep from laughing though. Are people still really into that?

Hipster is a desperate and comical need for attention.
Do you know how to drown a hipster?

Throw him into the mainstream.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:29 AM
 
1,915 posts, read 558,904 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Here's a helpful guide in determining what is actually "hip" in your area-

If the local "underground" newspaper is hyping a neighborhood as hip, that means it's not. When you're hip and cool, you simply are, you aren't announcing it to people.

I'm giving this one to Echo Park in Los Angeles. Silver Lake is a close second, but they have too much hype telling me they are hip, so it seems contrived and they lose.
Agreed. Or if city data posters with little to no experience in a city think that it's the hipster place, then it's not (think Williamsburg, Brooklyn for instance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Don't do hipster, or would even want to. Might be hard to keep from laughing though. Are people still really into that?

Hipster is a desperate and comical need for attention.
Hipster doesn't have to mean some sort of caricature. Hardly any hipsters dress/act like stereotypical hipsters
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,923 posts, read 3,644,250 times
Reputation: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Agreed. Or if city data posters with little to no experience in a city think that it's the hipster place, then it's not (think Williamsburg, Brooklyn for instance)



Hipster doesn't have to mean some sort of caricature. Hardly any hipsters dress/act like stereotypical hipsters
I’m not sure that I get what you’re saying. Williamsburg is overrun with hipsters. You seem to be saying that a neighborhood has to be up and coming to be a hipster neighborhood. To paraphrase Yogi Berra, Williamsburg is no longer hipster because there’s too many hipsters there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:46 AM
 
1,915 posts, read 558,904 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I’m not sure that I get what you’re saying. Williamsburg is overrun with hipsters. You seem to be saying that a neighborhood has to be up and coming to be a hipster neighborhood. To paraphrase Yogi Berra, Williamsburg is no longer hipster because there’s too many hipsters there.
Hipsters hang out in Williamsburg but they don't really live there anymore, unless they can get a good deal (which still sort of happens in South Williamsburg).

I know a lot of hipsters and they all live in Bushwick, Ridgewood, and Bed Stuy. Especially Bushwick, it is easily the most hipster neighborhood in NYC (in the truest sense)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,923 posts, read 3,644,250 times
Reputation: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Hipsters hang out in Williamsburg but they don't really live there anymore, unless they can get a good deal (which still sort of happens in South Williamsburg).

I know a lot of hipsters and they all live in Bushwick, Ridgewood, and Bed Stuy. Especially Bushwick, it is easily the most hipster neighborhood in NYC (in the truest sense)
I donít think that itís an exact science but Bushwick and Bed Stuy are still mostly poor and minority. Plus farther away. So cheaper. Maybe the hipsters that you know are looking for that bargain. They hang out in Williamsburg because it is full of hipster amenities, but they canít afford to live there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Murica
838 posts, read 658,369 times
Reputation: 576
An objective person could argue it's just conformity after the millionth well groomed beard or thick framed non-prescription glasses.. In the South East there are redneck hipsters with the beards and trucker hats, but they drive lifted diesel trucks..

There are also other aspects not covered here.. They all(even the redneck versions) live in new-developments and track housing where people are forced to see them.. It's mostly from different forms of social entitlements either being inheritance or jobs they can't do that pay at least 40k a year that their relatives or friends have influence in..

I worked at a really good union job once that had them, and they all knew people and if you didn't "help" them you'd end up fired because who they knew..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 12:54 PM
 
1,915 posts, read 558,904 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I donít think that itís an exact science but Bushwick and Bed Stuy are still mostly poor and minority. Plus farther away. So cheaper. Maybe the hipsters that you know are looking for that bargain. They hang out in Williamsburg because it is full of hipster amenities, but they canít afford to live there.
Bushwick has a ton of white people living there now, its white population is almost 20% now (around the same as the black population, for comparison).

Those are mostly hipster whites, while the people moving into Williamsburg are mostly yuppies or just regular rich people.

Bushwick is also filled with hipster businesses, they don't need to go to Williamsburg anymore. There are at least 10 bars within a short distance from the Jefferson Street L stop, and there's even a hipster club there that's so popular that even European tourists go there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
1,325 posts, read 1,119,759 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Agreed. Or if city data posters with little to no experience in a city think that it's the hipster place, then it's not (think Williamsburg, Brooklyn for instance)
I've never been to Austin or Asheville, but I'm now tempted to go just for the laugh of how undoubtedly not-hip they will turn out to be.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top