Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the weather experience has been in Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas for the past six or seven months. In Albuquerque we had a bit more snow and slightly colder temperatures than in recent years. The cool and wet pattern is continuing halfway through spring. Heavy snow melt has the Rio Grande running higher than any time since 2008. We were in a drought a couple years ago. El Nino seems to be in full flow this year and continuing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 PM

158 posts, read 174,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm wondering what the weather experience has been in Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas for the past six or seven months. In Albuquerque we had a bit more snow and slightly colder temperatures than in recent years. The cool and wet pattern is continuing halfway through spring. Heavy snow melt has the Rio Grande running higher than any time since 2008. We were in a drought a couple years ago. El Nino seems to be in full flow this year and continuing.
Much cooler than usual here is Las Vegas. I live in the highest section of Las Vegas at 3500’ and we have had multiple days with measurable snow. On February 20-21 I had 15’ fall from one storm! A couple of days ago we didn’t even make it out of the 40s.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:17 AM

158 posts, read 174,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
Much cooler than usual here is Las Vegas. I live in the highest section of Las Vegas at 3500’ and we have had multiple days with measurable snow. On February 20-21 I had 15’ fall from one storm! A couple of days ago we didn’t even make it out of the 40s.
15” that is... We have also already surpassed our yearly precipitation total.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
A couple of days ago we didn’t even make it out of the 40s.
A couple of days ago... in the highest point of Summerlin, didn't make it out of the 40s. Hmm. How odd that Red Rock, higher in elevation, surpassed 50 degrees. Yet you claim your area didn't.....
Definitely an exaggeration. Not buying the 15 inches of snow either.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
February was over 5° below average here in Phoenix, and this May is currently over 6° below average. April was over 2° above average, and January and March were fairly close to normal

Old 05-25-2019, 05:59 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
The day before I left Albuquerque back in late February for Vermont it snowed about 3-4 inches. In the seven years I lived out there I could only count a handful of times we had measurable snow on the ground. I figured it was a metaphor for journey up here. I still work for the same employer in ABQ, I've been hearing the "what is this, Seattle?, I want my desert climate back" weather complaint from my colleagues this spring. I've never seen the Rio Grande fill up to its banks before. I always liked it when the grasses came up and the desert-scape had a cover of green hues. I had the good fortune of seeing the desert around Tucson covered in wildflowers after some heavy spring rains one year. The only time I was ever annoyed with the weather in the Southwest is when the spring winds would kick up and bring in the dust, everywhere!

Old 05-25-2019, 12:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
The day before I left Albuquerque back in late February for Vermont it snowed about 3-4 inches. In the seven years I lived out there I could only count a handful of times we had measurable snow on the ground. I figured it was a metaphor for journey up here. I still work for the same employer in ABQ, I've been hearing the "what is this, Seattle?, I want my desert climate back" weather complaint from my colleagues this spring. I've never seen the Rio Grande fill up to its banks before. I always liked it when the grasses came up and the desert-scape had a cover of green hues. I had the good fortune of seeing the desert around Tucson covered in wildflowers after some heavy spring rains one year. The only time I was ever annoyed with the weather in the Southwest is when the spring winds would kick up and bring in the dust, everywhere!
Why did you leave New Mexico to go to Vermont of all places?

Old 05-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why did you leave New Mexico to go to Vermont of all places?
It was time to start a new chapter and New England is home.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
It was time to start a new chapter and New England is home.
I am from New England as well — Rhode Island, to be specific. In my perspective, nothing about Rhode Island is similar to Vermont, aside from the New England town form of local government. Remember, you live in and originate from a city or a town, not a state or geographic region.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I am from New England as well — Rhode Island, to be specific. In my perspective, nothing about Rhode Island is similar to Vermont, aside from the New England town form of local government. Remember, you live in and originate from a city or a town, not a state or geographic region.
Uh, OK, I don't want to derail the thread as the Desert Southwest is finally getting much needed drought relief which is great. I never saw the Rio Grande in ABQ really fill up to its banks in the seven years I lived out there. But anyway, I like it here in Vermont. I'm near a big beautiful lake and close to Montreal and I've always liked skiing up here in the winter. I grew up on the North Shore of Mass so it's nice to be closer to family again and a big part of me coming back to New England, but I'd rather live up here as it feels more like home to me. I agree Vermont is very different from southern New England.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-26-2019 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.