Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Natural Disaster
Hurricanes 49 31.82%
Tornadoes 32 20.78%
Wildfires 9 5.84%
Blizzards 9 5.84%
Earthquakes 37 24.03%
Flooding 16 10.39%
Volcanoes 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
earthquakes are ok if the city is built to keep minimal damage by enforcing codes.
I remember watching videos of the eathquake in Virginia/DC area. I wouldnt say those buildings are earthquake proof. Also lots of small ones in the Kansas/north Texas area. Not sure if they could deal with a bigger one. Not a big 10.0 or like you see in Japan, just a moderate one but buildings are made of brick and will crush you inside.
Texas rarely gets any earthquakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 04:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Texas rarely gets any earthquakes.
Texas gets small earthquakes from time to time.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Heat and humidity.

I don't think any major US city is really in volcano danger.
Well perhaps Hawaii ... but yeah

Old 05-31-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
More people die every year from cold weather storms than hurricanes and tornados combined.

Using NOAA's data, the 15-year period studied would have an average annual death toll of about 38. But that average death toll jumps to about 923 when the study's criteria are adjusted to include car and plane crashes that were indirectly attributed to a winter storm.
https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...ms-more-deaths

Winter storms pretty much happen every year, hurricanes especially in any particular area happen perhaps once in a generation.
The south gets hurricanes every year ...

Old 05-31-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Hurricane Sandy shows how bad a hurricane can be even when the winds are not much above hurricane-force and there isn't much rain for a major urban area.
Sandy was easily the scariest moment of my life to date

Terrifying

Old 05-31-2019, 04:58 PM

Blizzards are actually awesome! I can work @ home in my underwear & drink ...

You ppl in the warm places are missing out!

Old 06-01-2019, 07:23 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Tornadoss and earthquakes scare me the most.I would not be that concerned about volcanoes because they tend to give warnings before they blow their top.
I'm with C24L...about tornados and earthquakes.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM

45 posts, read 32,858 times
From most to least dangerous in terms of risk to property and human life (I weigh risk to human life far more significantly):

1. Earthquakes: Major earthquakes are statistically rare (a given place might experience 1-2 in a century), but I place them at the top of my list because of their sheer unpredictability and destructive potential. If you live in an earthquake zone, you know that the Big One will strike at some point, but you'll never know when until the actual occurrence, which can potentially level a large portion of a city in a matter of seconds. I often wonder how Californians are able to act so nonchalantly toward earthquakes.

2. Volcanoes: To put it extremely mildly, ash clouds and lava flows from a major volcanic eruption can wreak havoc on metropolitan areas, but I rank volcanoes below earthquakes because volcanoes often display visible signs for hours or days before erupting, giving people a reasonable amount of time to evacuate.

3. Hurricanes: Highly destructive due to high winds and flooding, but predictable. People often get several days' advance notice to evacuate.

4. Tornadoes: Highly destructive due to high winds. If you have a basement, you can stay there until the tornado passes.

5. Flooding (from a rainstorm, not a hurricane): Destructive but predictable.

6. Wildfires: Highly destructive to property, but there is usually enough advance notice for people to evacuate.

I don't consider blizzards natural disasters. Blizzards are highly predictable and extremely unlikely to cause severe property damage, and as long as you stay indoors, turn on the heater, and wear some layers, you should be fine.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
For me it's Blizzards or Tornadoes. Blizzards- i'm from a tropical country, when it snowed in Houston which as nothing I liked it for about 5 minutes then I hated the weather couldn't imagine it

Hurricanes don't bother me, lived through several in Louisiana and Texas, just don't live somewhere that can flood or somewhere close enough to the coast (within your metro area) where wind damage is a problem. You can chill out basically the entire time. I also think on a city-wide basis, besides flooding Hurricanes are by far the easiest natural disasters to city-proof. Many Asian cities don't even evacuate when a Typhoon hits nowadays. Although really strong ones of course will limit what humans could do.

Flooding is only really devastating in rural areas that don't have the funds to manage it or cities that don' plan well, like Houston and Harvey. If you spend enough money similar to what Tokyo is doing for the Olympics but on a much smaller scale, flooding n a catastrophic scale is essentially impossible. The main problem with cities flooding today is legacy infrastructure and government incompetence/lack of funds.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agun77 View Post
From most to least dangerous in terms of risk to property and human life (I weigh risk to human life far more significantly):

1. Earthquakes: Major earthquakes are statistically rare (a given place might experience 1-2 in a century), but I place them at the top of my list because of their sheer unpredictability and destructive potential. If you live in an earthquake zone, you know that the Big One will strike at some point, but you'll never know when until the actual occurrence, which can potentially level a large portion of a city in a matter of seconds. I often wonder how Californians are able to act so nonchalantly toward earthquakes.

2. Volcanoes: To put it extremely mildly, ash clouds and lava flows from a major volcanic eruption can wreak havoc on metropolitan areas, but I rank volcanoes below earthquakes because volcanoes often display visible signs for hours or days before erupting, giving people a reasonable amount of time to evacuate.

3. Hurricanes: Highly destructive due to high winds and flooding, but predictable. People often get several days' advance notice to evacuate.

4. Tornadoes: Highly destructive due to high winds. If you have a basement, you can stay there until the tornado passes.

5. Flooding (from a rainstorm, not a hurricane): Destructive but predictable.

6. Wildfires: Highly destructive to property, but there is usually enough advance notice for people to evacuate.

I don't consider blizzards natural disasters. Blizzards are highly predictable and extremely unlikely to cause severe property damage, and as long as you stay indoors, turn on the heater, and wear some layers, you should be fine.
Out of all of those though, Blizzards lead to the most deaths, because of how common they are and how many people think they can drive/do activities in such weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSC-HittRM

This is personally why I voted Blizzards as when human safety is taken into context it can get absolutely horrendous. Hurricanes don't kill as many people as Blizzards due at all it is literally 5-50 people yearly, and 100s for Blizzards and other cold weather phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.