Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Natural Disaster
Hurricanes 49 31.82%
Tornadoes 32 20.78%
Wildfires 9 5.84%
Blizzards 9 5.84%
Earthquakes 37 24.03%
Flooding 16 10.39%
Volcanoes 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,746,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
Obviously all cities can have natural disasters. However some natural disasters are different than others. What type of natural disaster would make you not want to move to a new city? I.E you really don't want to deal with hurricanes so you don't movie to New Orleans. Or you really don't want to deal with wildfires so you don't move to L.A. ETC.
I'm surprised hurricanes was number 1, I'd have thought tornadoes. I feel like hurricanes are not a problem if you live in a well built home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 PM

3,579 posts, read 3,081,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I'm surprised hurricanes was number 1, I'd have thought tornadoes. I feel like hurricanes are not a problem if you live in a well built home.
The most well-built home can still get flood water, wind-driven rain and debris, loss of electricity for weeks at a time, trees and/or tree limbs landing on roof, landscaping and fencing destroyed, or crazy things like a shift in foundation can happen. Your vehicles can still get flooded or damaged. Your workplace can, or your storage units can also get severely damaged or destroyed. Your friends, family, and co-workers may not be as lucky as you. Schools may be damaged and closed for extended periods of time. If you are old, ill, or disabled, you must be evacuated and are at a risk to your life whether you stay or not, either due to the stress of the evacuation, impacts of the storm, or impacts after the storm such as greater disease, insufficient medical help, or loss of electricity. Your city's infrastructure, utilities, water, drainage, and sewage can be severely damaged. Your roads may be impassable. Your insurance rates will skyrocket if your area was hit. And once hit, even if your home is unaffected, your area will take years to fully recover, hopefully before the next storm hits.

If you do flood, you will never recover all of your repair costs with insurance alone. It will take years to fully recover, and it will be difficult to find good help. Mold and mildew will flourish, and your health will suffer. Your children will have nightmares for years afterwards.

Unlike tornadoes, in the worst affected areas hurricanes are predictable and will happen again some time in the future. When considering a new city, hurricane-prone areas are avoidable.

Last edited by RocketSci; 06-13-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 02:49 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Coming back to this, the whole evacuation part of hurricanes makes it pretty crazy. Seeing those videos and pictures of clogged up freeways before hurricane Irma of people trying to escape north out of southern Florida was pretty insane to me. You see this with wildfires and volcanoes too, but I feel like the alarm factor is the biggest with hurricanes. Volcanic eruptions normally have good warning and don't happen often (at least in the mainland U.S.)

Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I don't live very close to areas severely impacted by hurricanes (though we do often get days and days of rain associated with them), but I think that it's often the specter of days and days with no electricity that is part of the problem.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
volcanos for me, can't stand the smell of sulfur

Old 06-20-2019, 10:42 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Tornadoes because they seem so frequent, random, and highly destructive where they strike. The death tolls for such a relatively small area of damage seems really high.

Wildfires because they have become so much more intense and fast moving over the years. You really don't have much warning now and a lot are spreading in the middle of the night when people are asleep. I definitely would avoid an area with higher wildfire danger when buying a home now. The smoke from them is really getting to be a drag in Northern Ca too with weeks being spent indoors because the air is so bad.

As far as earthquakes, they are just so rare, infrequent, and random it's really hard to worry about them.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
They are still a problem. FL builds very strong homes to withstand winds of certain intensities yet they always seem to get wrecked after major hurricane events.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
They are still a problem. FL builds very strong homes to withstand winds of certain intensities yet they always seem to get wrecked after major hurricane events.
But you still have time to prepare and evacuate usually. Not with tornadoes.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But you still have time to prepare and evacuate usually. Not with tornadoes.

OK can you be logical?

The actual odds of being hurt or having any significant property damage in a tornado, even in Tornado Alley, are so slim it's negligible.

I've lived in tornado prone areas nearly my whole life, and in Tornado Alley for twenty five years, and though I do occasionally seek shelter in a "small, windowless, interior room" (aka the powder room) I have never had any property damage, nor been injured - nor has anyone I've known personally. But the storms are often exciting!

The only time I've actually had real property damage was from Hurricane Ike, yes, five hours inland. I had to replace my roof, and not only that but we were also without power for about a week. Oh, and the flooding trapped us in so to speak - we couldn't get off our property due to flooding on the road for at least three days. Weird and expensive and definitely no bueno.

I remember sitting in my living room looking out the window helplessly as pieces of my roof flew off. Oh well.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:38 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The fragile electric grid is the biggest problem from hurricanes and even tropical and ice storms where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.