Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:46 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times

Advertisements

I think North Carolina fits the bill. My wife and I are Conservatives and live in the Charlotte area. The city itself is just left of center and the suburbs are just right of center. Everyone really gets along well and politics are rarely an issue. Very live-and-let-live, which I love. We just talk and interact as individuals. With Asheville (a favorite day trip destination of ours) the city itself is very liberal, but its suburban counties are pretty conservative. Yet Asheville city and metro have some of the nicest, kindest people who get along very well of any city/area I've ever been to. We just don't obsess about politics and differences like so many people in other metros seem to. It almost never even comes up. We've found people of all types get along way better in that type of atmosphere. When I lived in the Boston area, though we did enjoyed most of the people a great deal, a person's politics seemed to matter a bit too much. That could create some unnecessarily awkward situations.

I would be VERY leery of any "tolerance" map. "Tolerance" has been so overused and misused over recent years, that it's pretty much lost its literal meaning and can mean 100 different things to 100 different people. Such a list would be extremely subjective and political narrative driven.

Last edited by march2; 01-17-2020 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 06:10 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I get what you're saying, I just think that the state leans blue overall.

As for "Live Free or Die", that is laughable. Nevada is by far the more libertarian state.
Having lived in the Southwest and understanding the libertarian mindset out there, yeah I can get onboard with that. Nevada and also parts of AZ, CO, & NM are definitely a lot more libertarian than NH could be described as. I think Nevada would make a much more interesting first primary state given the demographics of the state.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 AM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
In all honesty, the least political/most friendly states are states that are moderate in their politics and balanced between liberal and conservative ideologies. Which states those are I'm not completely sure.

I have to LOL at all the liberals criticizing conservatives and conservatives criticizing liberals... Hypocritical much?

'You guys are really showing your tolerance for those who think differently from you....'

Old 05-14-2020, 10:44 AM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
In places I've lived:
Phoenix- honestly, nobody really cared that much; I grew up partially out in a suburb of the city. Left in 09 or so. Very few people discussed politics. The ones who did weren't pushy at all. It was a pretty good live and let live kinda place.
NOLA has been pretty good for the most part. It is a liberal city, but nobody seems to mind conservatives or vice versa. However, it is a really insular city as well. They don't care about your politics but they really care about where you went to high school.
Memphis is pretty balanced. A center left city. The burbs are center right. Moved here from Phoenix. People talked about politics and religion a bit more here compared to the PHX area but still not a ton.
London, UK- terrible. Everyone was left to extreme left.
I'm fairly center to left of center, and love discussing politics with folks- however, I don't enjoy pushing my views onto others or vice versa.
I've heard good things about North Carolina. I think a lot of purple states would be good for this stuff but have limited experiences.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
New Orleans is very live or let live but it's not some place where people don't care about your politics. A young Republican isn't going to be as accepted in the culture in my experience. Most people in New Orleans look down on the rest of Louisiana, and vice versa.

How are any of you coming to your decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.