Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM

422 posts, read 758,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Maybe other parts of the Sun Belt might be slowing down, but Texas keeps on going. We won't slow down, and we'll welcome all of you from other parts of the country. A big HOWDY to all of you!
Might have something to do with the tens of thousands of illegals crossing over each day, which I think would be the case for any state with the misfortune of sharing such a large border with Mexico. But keep patting yourself on the back for the "growth" your state has supposedly achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM

42 posts, read 42,745 times
Just might! Growth is growth eh? Maybe some of those Canadians will start moving South! ;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Might have something to do with the tens of thousands of illegals crossing over each day, which I think would be the case for any state with the misfortune of sharing such a large border with Mexico. But keep patting yourself on the back for the "growth" your state has supposedly achieved.
Yes, that's true, too, but that isn't why I posted. Nothing in my post suggested anything about illegals, so let's not go there. Go back and read my post again. What I've implied is that we have people moving to Texas from other parts of the country, and by that, I meant America. We've welcomed them with new job opportunities, and more will come.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Florida's not going to keep growing forever. Growth in South Florida has really slowed down, and the same will probably happen elsewhere in the state over the next few decades.
These numbers represent net loss/net gain. So Broward is not just slowing down, it has lost big time.

Meanwhile, look at Miami-Dade (just South or Broward). A huge net gain.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That does sound rather annoying, but that's because the fact of the matter is that a lot people move to the Sun Belt from the Rust Belt not because they necessarily dislike where their original homes were, but because of what you've described -- a better job climate. So, while it may come off as contradictory, I imagine it has much to do with the bittersweet feeling of reluctantly having to leave where your roots are as the only means to find job opportunities.
Excellent point, duderino. Their complaints really do express a sense of loss, not a sense of superiority. And it's doubly hard when you must leave because of lack of economic opportunities in the place where you think they "do things so much better"..

Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Do I see 3 or 4 counties in Florida that are "red"? Kind of shocked about that.
I mean it's Florida after all.
The red county on the west coast of Florida is actually Pinellas County, FL. Pinellas is a peninsula on the gulf and it is almost completely developed with no more vacant land except in the extreme northeastern part of the county. It is the most densely populated county for this reason with almost a million residents. There is no where to develop except for up at this point and that is exactly what you are starting to see in downtown St. Petersburg and Clearwater and along the beaches. I highly doubt that when the real census happens in 2010 that there will actually be a decline in population even though the projections are showing pretty steady in the future.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Also surprised by the county where Cape Cod is. Looks like they had a big loss.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
The red county on the west coast of Florida is actually Pinellas County, FL. Pinellas is a peninsula on the gulf and it is almost completely developed with no more vacant land except in the extreme northeastern part of the county. It is the most densely populated county for this reason with almost a million residents. There is no where to develop except for up at this point and that is exactly what you are starting to see in downtown St. Petersburg and Clearwater and along the beaches. I highly doubt that when the real census happens in 2010 that there will actually be a decline in population even though the projections are showing pretty steady in the future.
What about Monroe County (the Keys plus some swampland along the Gulf Coast not included in Everglades NP)? That one surprised me.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
A lot of this is also driven by the fact we're using percentages. <Random City> can grow by 1,000,000 from 2,000,000 to 3,000,000 and we're seeing a 50% growth rate. If that same city then grows by another 1,000,000 people in the next decade, they're only seeing a 33% growth rate.

So yeah, the % is slowing down, but the sheer numbers of people aren't. I think it's quite healthy if some of these high rates are coming down to earth a little. Do we really want Dallas to go from 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 in just a decade or two? Once you're seeing large cities with very high % growth rates, you're going to see infrastructure being extremely stressed, lots of traffic, random growth patterns, etc.

I think it's good if these cities catch up with themselves a little as far as their vitality and livability, roads, water supplies - as opposed to just overflowing with a constant influx of hundreds of thousands of new residents. We're all obsessed with "the higher the growth the better" and being NUMBER ONE in growth, but ask anyone who goes through it for a prolonged amount of time, and most of them will be ready for a little break.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
And to the people who are suprised about Florida.....

South Florida has grown exponentially for decades now. It has become very expensive to live there, the schools are very poor, the crime is very high AND you almost need to know fluent spanish just to get around many areas. Not suprising if the population has declined a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.