Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times

Advertisements

I think Scranton/ WB is too far away from NYC to ever become a bedoom community, unless of course, there was high speed commuter rail that extended that far...

As to when it will stop growing-not any time soon. BosWash's population will continue to grow as it receives more and more international immigrants which in turn lead to more and more of the middle class moving further out. The region is doing well economically so many will actually move there from elsewhere in the US as the sunbelt becomes congested and expensive. I think central, southern, and Northwestern NJ will see alot of growth in the next decade but I can't see it extending into NePa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
This isn't a situation unique to your part of the country, this is happening all over the world. And I think the sprawling will be greater before city centers in various states are somehow forced to centralize even more so than they are now. Los Angeles is learning that just now, that upkeep is more and more difficult the furthur out you go. Natural disasters that used to take the focus of an entire nation, might not actually be feasable anymore with respect to the rebuilding of a large, spread out megapolitan. The more and more we accumulate, the more difficult the day to day maintenance is. Then an act of God takes place, and the country finds it just can't afford it. So I think when it gets too bad, then there will be an edict passed down. The kind that you would see in China. To come back to the center and, maybe, quit f-ing so much. It's inevitable. It's science.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
I think Plaidmom is right.

The physical growth of the megalopolis will stop as soon as fuel cost become a real motivating factor.

For the last 100 years or so, fuel has been so cheap that it was practically free. Anyone remember $8 a barrel oil? Because it was so cheap cities and there suburbs could grow without regard to energy cost. The only factor limiting sprawl was time. i.e. Is a two hour commute one way too long?

That will soon change, and may have changed already. Oil is a finite resource and once we have used up all the easy sources then the rest will come at dramatically increasing prices. Now this is not an "we are running out of oil" post. We are NOT running out of oil, but we are running out of CHEAP oil.

In the last several years oil prices have increased significantly and are currently around $75 a barrel. Even at these "high" prices, people only spend a couple of thousand dollars a year on gasoline.

As fuel prices increase, I think we will see a reversal of the current trend. Upper and middle class people will start moving back to city centers while the working class and poor are forced further out into the suburbs. This is when the physical growth of cities will stop, but the population of cities will increase as people leave the suburbs.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Eventually alot of the West and East coast people will start begging to live back in the Midwest.It will stop growing when everything on the west and east coast is so exspensive that only the very rich will be able to live there.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM

52 posts, read 149,912 times
Dont worry...soon enough noone will be able to afford a home due to such high taxes.....what will the goverment do then make us live in the street? When does it stop?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza216 View Post
Dont worry...soon enough noone will be able to afford a home due to such high taxes.....what will the goverment do then make us live in the street? When does it stop?
Just wait until we have to start paying back the trillions of dollars of debt we've raked up during the current administration with spiking taxes. What ever happened to Republicans being fiscally-Conservative, anyways?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Obviously, there are still places to fill in around the BosWash corridor. California has more problems than the east coast with regards to land space.

I don't think Scranton will integrate into the corridor. You're going to be stuck in space with your nightmares. In the end, that is the cruelest fate of all !

Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Just wait until we have to start paying back the trillions of dollars of debt we've raked up during the current administration with spiking taxes. What ever happened to Republicans being fiscally-Conservative, anyways?
That ended January 20, 2001 when YOU KNOW WHO was inaugurated into office!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM

397 posts, read 264,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I'll tell you when it'll stop growing...when either Yellowstone erupts or that long awaited tsunami hits the East Coast after that volcano on the west coast of Northwest Africa or Southwestern Europe slides into the ocean.

dont joke, a natural disaster like that could happen, could you imagine what it would be like if there was a major flood in NYC, that is part of the reason I moved away from Long Island

Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
dont joke, a natural disaster like that could happen, could you imagine what it would be like if there was a major flood in NYC, that is part of the reason I moved away from Long Island
If the megatsunami is anywhere near the size some experts are predicting it will be, it definitely wouldn't be funny at all. I just hope that it doesn't really happen, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like if cities like Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C were all to get smacked by an enormous tsunami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.