Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. region has the Best cities overall?
New England 31 11.65%
Mid-Atlantic 73 27.44%
Midwestern 46 17.29%
Southern 48 18.05%
Southwestern 10 3.76%
Mountain 5 1.88%
Pacific Coast (including Alaska and Hawaii) 53 19.92%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times

Advertisements

It's a tie between Midwest and Mid-Atlantic, BUT I'll be bias to solve my vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
Cool Pacific Coast!!

Pacific Coast is amazing,Something for everyone.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 AM

416 posts, read 712,855 times

Since "common usage" is variable, how about we just stick to this handy authority, which never changes?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
The Mid-Atlantic has the best cities overall...

The Nation's capital is there, New York City America's largest, and most diverse city is there, the nation's richest state is there, Arlington, VA (with 5 skylines) one of the nation's most urban counties is there, New Jersey the most dense state in the nation is there, Atlantic City is the 2nd largest gambling legalized area in the nation, do I have to keep going!!! lol

Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I can accept if people call VA Mid-Atlantic. Because especially the Northern part is more in the Middle of the East Coast.

However, I could never accept the "Northeast", because even NOVA is not the Northeast culturally . Its more Southern-Lite than anything else. And I feel that Virginia, like Kentucky, is the Northern most Southern state.
Thats why I would be offended if people insist the Mid Atlantic is ultimately a sub region of the North .
Maryland is tricky because some of it resembles down south, then some part's are suburban America (lot's of sprawl), then some part's are Northern!!!

Baltimore-Northern
D.C.-IDK
NOVA-Suburban America

Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

Since "common usage" is variable, how about we just stick to this handy authority, which never changes?

Because it is historical and does not make any sense today.
Lumping NM with CA or FL with MS?

If you realloy want to follow that map let's stick to it's big regions like:
Northwest, Midwest, West and South. That's sound fairer however how do you explain DC as a southern location?

The entire DC-Boston belt is very similar culturaly as opposed to other parts of the country for instance Boston is much more similar to DC or Philly than to LA.

Anyways, the best cities are in the Northeast.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
I don't understand the choices here. The ENTIRE Pacific coast is (plus Alaska and Hawaii) is one option while New England is separated from the Mid-Atlantic? That doesn't seem fair.
Agreed. And it also probably not fair to separate Southwest and Mountain.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM

48 posts, read 103,375 times
I think that it is the mountain cities. Lots of outdoor activities. Plus the cities are good size but they are not to big. Plus crime in the mountain cities is lower than most places in the U.S. Plus the people are much more laid back than people on the east coast and the west coast.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM

416 posts, read 712,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Because it is historical and does not make any sense today.
Lumping NM with CA or FL with MS?

If you realloy want to follow that map let's stick to it's big regions like:
Northwest, Midwest, West and South. That's sound fairer however how do you explain DC as a southern location?

The entire DC-Boston belt is very similar culturaly as opposed to other parts of the country for instance Boston is much more similar to DC or Philly than to LA.

Anyways, the best cities are in the Northeast.
This is your opinion. I'm trying to get away from opinions here.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I've always thought that the Midwest had a more diverse and varied collection of cities: Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.