Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,751 times

Advertisements

When I introduced my wife to some people in a restaurant, a lady asked, "Where are you from?" (recognizing my wife's foreign accent) My wife responded, "Scotland." The lady then said, "Oh, how nice. Where is that-out east somewhere?" The worst part of the story is that the women then said her mother was from Great Britain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
The only thing worse than geographical ignorance are people who insist on being ignorant. Several of the responders on this thread still don't want to learn. Yes, Wyoming is a real state. Capitol is Cheyenne. Other noteworthy towns include Jackson, Laramie, Casper, Rock Springs, and Sheridan. Home of Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park. I don't have any friends from Wyoming, but I've met many, many people from there. And New Mexico, not only is it a state of the USA, it's one of the greatest states out there! It used to be part of Mexico (hence the name), but it's been owned by the US since 1848 and it's been a state since 1912. It's called the Land of Enchantment. Capital is Santa Fe. Largest city is Albuquerque. Other towns and cities of note include Taos, Las Cruces, Roswell, Gallup, Silver City, Las Vegas (the original Las Vegas, not the one in Nevada). To the people who insist on being ignorant, why don't you look at map and learn about some of these places on Wikipedia. Or the city-data.com forums. Or better yet, go there and dispell the ignorance. Sheesh!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: for most of my life I had no idea that we actually have a state called Wyoming.

Who knew? I mean... Wyoming? Does anyone know anyone from Wyoming? I sure as hell don't. Where is Wyoming? What's going on there? Why does it sound so much like a street or possibly some vague city in the breadbasket?
I agree with vegaspilgrim. Some people insist on remaining ignorant. I know people from Wyoming. I work with a woman from WYO, and have met several others from there. What's going on there? Go to wiki and learn.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I tend to get annoyed with so many people thinking there are 51 or 52 states. What's up with that? I nearly got into an argument with someone at work claiming that Puerto Rico became a state. Also, some think when you "add" Alaska & Hawaii it makes us have 52 states. Oh Lord people, it's 50!
Even "I" know that!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I knew a guy in high school that thought Chattanooga was a state. No kidding.
I met a woman at a national conference who told me sh'd always wanted to visit the "state of Minneapolis"

Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
You know that big park called Yellowstone?? Well, it's in WY.
As well as in MT!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 AM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
As well as in MT!
Yes, and a tiny bit in ID, if I'm not mistaken The overwhelming majority is in WY though .

Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM

89 posts, read 380,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with vegaspilgrim. Some people insist on remaining ignorant. I know people from Wyoming. I work with a woman from WYO, and have met several others from there. What's going on there? Go to wiki and learn.
Haha yeah that's absolutely true. Just because you know noone from a state, doesn't mean that you should not know about it, or if they exist or not. I was born in the US but grew up in Asia, Just got back here about 2 years ago. So I don't really have lots of friends all over the place. (So if i was to follow that rule, for me there should only be 4-5 states in the US ). The same thing with other stuff too. Just because it's a tiny state, small population, nothing really happening there, it sounds funy, or it sounds like something else, it's not an excuse for us to be ignorant about all that.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Even "I" know that!
I'm so proud.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I'm so proud.
But then again back when I was in school there were only 9 planets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.