Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 12:44 AM

252 posts, read 207,481 times

Advertisements

Chinese demand for US property grew late last year and is predicted to climb further in 2022 as coronavirus travel restrictions are eased, industry insiders have said.

About US$700 million worth of Chinese money entered the US commercial property market over the year ending in September, up from US$600 million the previous year, the Washington-based National Association of Realtors said in a February outlook.

“The US home market is very appealing to Chinese buyers,” he said. “In particular, the prospect for continued rapid price growth attracts buyers who are eager for capital gains.”

Chinese investors are also focusing on less expensive markets such as Florida and Texas, places with “higher yields and lower taxes”, Ansari said.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...chinese-buyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 10:53 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Depends whether their own property bubble bursts which is looking far more likely to happen sooner rather than later.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:35 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Prices might be too high, particularly as interest rates rise, but "burst"? Jobs are plentiful, we're not over-borrowing, we're not overbuilding...

The Chinese dynamic will be interesting as borders reopen. I'm in Seattle, which was getting a large chunk of this investment pre-Covid...

Old 02-20-2022, 08:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Prices might be too high, particularly as interest rates rise, but "burst"? Jobs are plentiful, we're not over-borrowing, we're not overbuilding...

The Chinese dynamic will be interesting as borders reopen. I'm in Seattle, which was getting a large chunk of this investment pre-Covid...
Oh I was talking about the Chinese property market. Totally different. That market is in big trouble.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Oh I don't think that means a collapse can't happen.
Most young people can't afford to buy and wages are historically stagnant.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:40 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Should be illegal for people or institutions to buy property in this country if they aren't based here. In the case of institutional investors it should be required that they meet certain employment and revenue requirements in the U.S.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Oh I don't think that means a collapse can't happen.
Most young people can't afford to buy and wages are historically stagnant.

That's already factored in. A collapse would require something else changing, and probably something big.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Should be illegal for people or institutions to buy property in this country if they aren't based here. In the case of institutional investors it should be required that they meet certain employment and revenue requirements in the U.S.
By extension, Americans shouldn't be able to buy second homes in other countries.

I'm not saying I agree, but it would be consistent.

Actually this might mean more second homes bought by Americans in the US...this might cause a big surge in vacation areas and towns in cities' orbits, though it might equal out vs. foreign buyers on average.

PS, if you want to bring countries closer together, with no chance of ever going to war, let their citizens buy properties in each others' borders. Same if you want to even out the flow of cash we're sending over for manufactured goods.

Simple isn't simple.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:33 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I think the Chinese will still favor California. The negatives of California , the income tax, is meaningless to them. And the fiscal positive, property tax don’t escalate as your home increases in value, are great for investors.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:51 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Where does that 600 million figure come from? In California that might only represent 600 to 800 houses. So 600M seems low unless foreigners are getting low down payment mortgages, which is unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.