Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC, SF, Seattle, somewhere else?
NYC 11 29.73%
SF 2 5.41%
Seattle 12 32.43%
Somewhere else 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times

Advertisements

Not sure why Seattle is getting a lot of votes here. You already live there and you've indicated that you would prefer to not have a car. Seattle isn't super walkable nor is it all that fun to live in without a car.

NYC would be the best choice. It's the most bike friendly of these options, has by far the best public transportation, and isn't really that much more expensive than Seattle (this obviously is neighborhood specific). The only downside might be the winters are colder than what you want.

DC could also be a good option. Milder weather than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 10:02 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If Boston's too cold, then I would recommend you avoid NYC too.
NYC's winters are not that bad--especially now during the climate change era we are seeing. This past winter in 2021/22, we had, I think, 3 or 4 measurable snowfalls? With one being about 8 inches, and the rest under 3 or 4 total. With "cold spells" of days not going above 32, if I had to guess, I'd say there were maybe 6 or 8 all winter long?

NYC's winters have historically been sensationalized--with movies and television presenting NYC winters to be much worse than they really are.

We get a ton of sunshine in the winter here too--it's rarely gloomy beyond a day or 2, back to back. Which is a good benefit to living in a 4 season climate area.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:22 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
NYC's winters are not that bad--especially now during the climate change era we are seeing. This past winter in 2021/22, we had, I think, 3 or 4 measurable snowfalls? With one being about 8 inches, and the rest under 3 or 4 total. With "cold spells" of days not going above 32, if I had to guess, I'd say there were maybe 6 or 8 all winter long?

NYC's winters have historically been sensationalized--with movies and television presenting NYC winters to be much worse than they really are.

We get a ton of sunshine in the winter here too--it's rarely gloomy beyond a day or 2, back to back. Which is a good benefit to living in a 4 season climate area.
Most of the worst winter weather is typically north & west of the city anyhow.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:33 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:

Yea I agree there.

NYC winters have been over hyped by mainstream media. Especially during Christmas (you most likely won’t see snow on the ground or even in the air). The reality is much different with not much snow on the ground on a consistent basis.

NYC is pretty much a borderline subtropical climate due to its fairly muggy/warm to Hot summers.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:57 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Not sure why Seattle is getting a lot of votes here. You already live there and you've indicated that you would prefer to not have a car. Seattle isn't super walkable nor is it all that fun to live in without a car.

NYC would be the best choice. It's the most bike friendly of these options, has by far the best public transportation, and isn't really that much more expensive than Seattle (this obviously is neighborhood specific). The only downside might be the winters are colder than what you want.

DC could also be a good option. Milder weather than NYC.

Seattle has a much larger bike-commute percentage than NY as a metro.

It's not that hard to live here without a car, though the area is much smaller where you can do it easily. I don't have one.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:41 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:

New york winters are about the dame as boston.
It might be warmer and have less snow, but New York has that god awful wind tunnel affect in Manhattan.

I think if you live in Brooklyn or Staten Island or out here in Jersey… its mitigated a lot though.

But neither are particularly bad. We got what 3 days of snow out here in the metro area? Lol.

Yall want bad winters.. go to Oswego NY. Not New York City

Old 03-17-2022, 08:48 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
If you're eliminating Chicago because of crime, you might want to reconsider New York.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/crime-...ct-stats-show/

Old 03-20-2022, 03:43 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If you're eliminating Chicago because of crime, you might want to reconsider New York.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/crime-...ct-stats-show/
That spike is from a far lower per capita base, so it's still far lower per capita. NYC with these spikes still has among the lowest violent crime rates among large US cities. Unfortunately, that's still not very good as the US is quite violent compared to other developed countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.