Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC, SF, Seattle, somewhere else?
NYC 11 29.73%
SF 2 5.41%
Seattle 12 32.43%
Somewhere else 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 09:37 AM

153 posts, read 132,699 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for my first Nurse Practitioner position, and my wife is a surgical tech. She would like to continue doing "local travel" positions, as the pay is much higher, she bounces between hospitals using a travel contract agency/agencies. I will be looking for only full-time positions. We have 1 car right now, which we have found helpful living just outside Seattle. However, if we moved to NYC or SF we'd get rid of it. I feel like if we stay in Seattle, the car is needed for her, as hospitals aren't that close together, but I feel like SF and NYC would have things close by enough to no longer need the car? We decided against Boston because it's just too cold for us, and against Chicago due to crime. Other than work, we like food, riding bikes/jogging (biking kinda sucks in all these cities for 1 reason or another, hills, rain, snow, too much traffic, etc). There are a ton more jobs in NYC of course, but it doesn't look like pay is much different, SF pays a little more I think, we aren't sure what to do. What are your opinions? Thank you much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 06:32 AM

27,234 posts, read 44,195,822 times
The Washington DC metro area is a great option for you. It's economically booming and has an extensive top-ranked transit system that reaches far into the burbs and connects to Baltimore as well. The biking/running trail options are mind-boggling in scope and distance as well as geographic variety especially considering places like Rock Creek Park, the C&O Canal and Mt Vernon Trail along the Potomac River. Salaries are typically on par with NYC and SF but less expensive in terms of COL.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 2 minutes ago)

6,834 posts, read 6,101,901 times
If Boston's too cold, then I would recommend you avoid NYC too.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:11 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,925,354 times
Yeah, it seems like you’ve hit on the popular “big city” destinations: NYC, Chicago, SF, Boston, and Seattle. The only usual one that seems to be missing is LA (and maybe Philly).

As you already know, Chicago’s crime is mostly relegated to bad neighborhoods, rather than where you’d likely be living. Although it has been worse the last 2 years, along with other major cities. But interestingly that was your stated reason for eliminating it, rather than cold weather (which is worse than Boston’s- the reason you eliminated it).

So from this bunch, I’d probably choose Seattle, based on your apparent interests. Also, thinking about outdoors, hiking, and lots of things to do, greater LA is probably worth exploring.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:31 PM

3,611 posts, read 2,385,419 times
I'll second what Kyle19125 said.

Washington DC - Baltimore area is a nurse practitioner mecca in terms of employment oppurtunites with the added bennefit of abundent outdoor activity options

Old 03-06-2022, 02:52 PM

21,801 posts, read 12,968,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If Boston's too cold, then I would recommend you avoid NYC too.
Why? It’s not as cold and gets half as much snow.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:57 PM

658 posts, read 360,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree. NYC hardly has snow on the ground in winter. Don’t get me wrong it’s chilly. But Boston is quite a bit more snowy with consistent snowfall.

Seems like SF fits the bill though for what OP wants.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,433,025 times
Quote:
They dump the snow in the hudson anyway

Old 03-08-2022, 05:56 PM

12,228 posts, read 8,141,493 times
Quote:
It may not snow as much here, but the winter is nearly just as bad.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:51 AM

5,530 posts, read 8,808,230 times
FYI, there are plenty of biking opportunities in and around NYC--many more than an outsider might realize. In addition to the bike lanes on many major avenues (best for work commutes), there are great longer and more relaxing rides in the city's big parks, along its rivers, across its bridges, and immediately north and west of Manhattan. Of course there are also many riding clubs.

Obviously rents are high here, but you get a lot: unrivaled cultural and entertainment options, the ability to get around almost anyplace, anytime w/o a car (far more robust mass transit than Boston, SF, or DC I'd say), access to Amtrak and three major airports for travel, loads of medical job opportunities, and good weather nine months a year. (Only San Fran would have "better" weather, but that's a matter of personal choice. I've found the city way to cool and dry for my liking. And Seattle winters are too gloomy.) There are also several nice options for DINKs in Westchester and New Jersey -- easily commutable to NYC--that could fit the bill, though in some of these you would probably still need a car.

After NYC, I'd say the DC/Baltimore area would be the best choice.

Last edited by citylove101; 03-09-2022 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.