Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 12:05 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

LOL at the idea of NJ having harsh winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 12:05 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobineesh View Post
Which State would you suggest is good if there are only 2 factors?

Weather and Scenery: We would love to be out and about. We were told New Jersey is six months of Indoor during winters so definitely a NO. Have been in california just do not like the weather: too hot and dry hardly any landscape and greenery to go for hikings, road trips, walking through out the year. Hence again a NO.

School District: Have 2 young infants. Are moving for their future. So would love a place that gives them a holistic learning atmosphere. Good, competitive and progressive school system.

Chime in if you have any other factors that we must look at.

Thanks
The Southwest Metro of Atlanta: Fayette County and Coweta County

Specifically, look in:

Peachtree City
Fayetteville
Newnan
Sharpsburg
Tyrone

Old 07-12-2022, 02:07 AM

14 posts, read 19,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
LOL at the idea of NJ having harsh winters.
Could you please elaborate on your response? We are coming from harsh summers. 7 months indoors, kids dont get to step out much. Do not want to be in the same situation. I could be wrong about my reading but this is what someone has told told us who used to live , that 6 months you are indoor ( from the perspective of kids going out in the open to play, freely)

Old 07-12-2022, 06:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Could you please elaborate on your response? We are coming from harsh summers. 7 months indoors, kids dont get to step out much. Do not want to be in the same situation. I could be wrong about my reading but this is what someone has told told us who used to live , that 6 months you are indoor ( from the perspective of kids going out in the open to play, freely)
In NJ, probably not 6 months, but perhaps 4?

Old 07-12-2022, 11:15 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
NJ is mid-November through mid-March for prime winter season. About 4 months give or take. Now granted, lately it's been on the colder side well into April so who the hell knows. Spring is becoming less and less.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:11 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
NJ is mid-November through mid-March for prime winter season. About 4 months give or take. Now granted, lately it's been on the colder side well into April so who the hell knows. Spring is becoming less and less.
Doesn't the heat an humidity also keep you inside somewhat during some of the summer months too? At least not able to enjoy everything outside during the day. Not much fun to golf, garden, jog, etc. when it's 80+ degrees and high humidity in the middle of the afternoon.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:38 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Doesn't the heat an humidity also keep you inside somewhat during some of the summer months too? At least not able to enjoy everything outside during the day. Not much fun to golf, garden, jog, etc. when it's 80+ degrees and high humidity in the middle of the afternoon.
Not true at all. Today is a somewhat rare 90 degree day here in North Jersey right outside NYC and people are still out and about golfing, biking, at pools, etc. Obviously a day like today you should take some precautions.

That said, 90+ degree days aren't that common so there's really no lack of outdoor activities taking place around here.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:15 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
I live in Minnesota, a state with ACTUAL harsh winters. I still spend most my freetime in winter enjoying the snow and being outside. NJ has a subtropical climate. Not harsh at all

Old 07-28-2022, 09:21 PM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
Quote:

I am not in NJ, but in MA which is further north and even I would say that's a bit of an exaggeration (meaning 6 months indoors). Winter starts in November and goes through March, but each year it can be hit or miss really.

I'll speak about the northeast, since I'm from there and can explain the weather.

The Northeast:
-Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island (New England).
-New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland (Mid Atlantic).
All have 4 seasons. Comfortable falls and relaxing springs make up for the cold winters and humid summers that we can get.

Do you prefer an area with 4 seasons or an area with a moderate but stable temperature yearlong?

Old 07-29-2022, 02:07 AM

14 posts, read 19,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
I am not in NJ, but in MA which is further north and even I would say that's a bit of an exaggeration (meaning 6 months indoors). Winter starts in November and goes through March, but each year it can be hit or miss really.

I'll speak about the northeast, since I'm from there and can explain the weather.

The Northeast:
-Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island (New England).
-New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland (Mid Atlantic).
All have 4 seasons. Comfortable falls and relaxing springs make up for the cold winters and humid summers that we can get.

Do you prefer an area with 4 seasons or an area with a moderate but stable temperature yearlong?
Thanks, we also felt 6 months is a bit of an exaggeration for NJ as we nedver expected it to be like that but then we only know US as a visitir so far. Thanks for all your inputs and we would prefer all 4 seasons. WE are coming from a place which is only hot all through the year have been missing rest of the 3 big time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.