Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:09 PM

21,634 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, again you are equating median income with middle-class. I don’t think median-income is middle class. When I think middle-class, I would think a household that is college educated and considers themselves part of a certain class. Wouldn’t you? They have been referred to as Black professionals too.
Not college-educated. Plenty of middle-class bus drivers and mechanics, of which Baltimore seems to be chock full of lowkey.

Only 17.4% of Baltimore Black people have a college degree or higher. Compared to 30.8% in Charlotte. Or 23.4% in Boston Or 24.9% in NYC.. But Boston and NYC still have higher incomes at every level than Charlotte and Seattle, with lower poverty than Seattle. - this is why I don't think education tells the whole story, but it certainly not a selling point for Baltimore who only beats out place ike Milwaukee and Detroit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You know how you can go to an event or venue and tell whether the attendees are middle-class/Black professionals?
By speaking with them.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:14 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not college-educated. Plenty of middle-class bus drivers and mechanics, of which Baltimore seems to be chock full of lowkey.

Only 17.4% of Baltimore Black people have a college degree or higher. Compared to 30.8% in Charlotte. Or 23.4% in Boston Or 24.9% in NYC.. But Boston and NYC still have higher incomes at every level than Charlotte and Seattle, with lower poverty than Seattle. - this is why I don't think education tells the whole story, but it certainly not a selling point for Baltimore who only beats out place ike Milwaukee and Detroit there.
That’s probably why income can only be one part of the equation. To your point about Baltimore, there aren’t many venues or events where I would consider the crowd Black professionals even if they do make good money. Charlotte, on the other hand, has a strong Black professional class in comparison from what people say. I guess we need to define Black middle-class which hasn’t been done yet.

What do you consider Black middle-class?

Old 07-07-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
By speaking with them.
Maybe, but Black professionals also have a look without speaking to them. You can look at a crowd and tell whether it’s a professional crowd or a ghetto crowd.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but Black professionals also have a look without speaking to them. You can look at a crowd and tell whether it’s a professional crowd or a ghetto crowd.
Sure but that seems really crude and inaccurate. You have to actually talk to people.

In Baltimore you will find some black middle class at like Teavolve, Topside, the Civil, NOIR, and a small # of other places but if you talk to them 90% of them live near DC, in Owings Mills, Reisterstown or in HoCo. I have a coworker who moved from DC to Owings Mills and we recently had virtual lunch just to connect and she was saying how Baltimore lack a lot of what DC has and “doesn’t feel like home” and is “strange”.

.There are a few young black 20-somethings such as myself in Southeast Baltimore like Patterson Park, Highland town and Canton and then a few downtown but if it such a large and black city it’s very paltry. The overwhelming vibe is dysfunction and sad, tormented ghetto madness if I’m keeping like really really real? …

Places in NW and NE Baltimore that used to be more solidly black middle class from 2000-2015 are sliding. I can really see the abandonment and trash getting worse. Makes sense as the city population continues to decline and areas along the harbor continue to be built up. But I see homes that were fine in 2018 becoming abandoned over the past 4 years I’ve been here.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-07-2022 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Sure but that seems really crude and innaccurate. You have to actually talk to people.

In baltimore you will find some balck middle class at like Teavolve, Topside, the Civil, NOIR, and a small # of other places but if you talk form them 90% of them live near DC, in Owings Mills, Reistserstown or in HoCo. I have a coworker who moved from DC to Owings Mills and we recently had virtual lunch just to connect and she was saying how Baltimore lack a lot of what DC has and “doesn’t feel like home” and is “strange”.

.There are a few young black 20 somethings such as myself in Southeast Baltimroe like Patterson Park, Highland town and Canton and then a few downtown but if it such a large and black city it’s very paltry. The overwhelming vibe is dysfunction and sad, tormented ghetto madness if I’m keeping like really really real? …

Places in NW and NE Baltimore that used to be more solidly black middle class from 2000-2015 are sliding. I can really see the abandonment and trash getting worse. Makes sense as the city population continues to decline and areas along the harbor continue to be built up. But I see homes that were fine in 2018 becoming abandoned over the past 4 years I’ve been here.

I think most Black people on this forum can admit when you walk into a venue, you know exactly what kind of crowd is there. If we are being honest, professional crowds just have a certain look. How do you think people say the crowd is ghetto? What do you think they are talking about? Sure, there are professionals in the crowd, but the overwhelming vibe is ghetto.

I think Chicago suffers from the same reputation as Baltimore. Less polished if you will.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I think most Black people on this forum can admit when you walk into a venue, you know exactly what kind of crowd is there. If we are being honest, professional crowds just have a certain look. How do you think people say the crowd is ghetto? What do you think they are talking about? Sure, there are professionals in the crowd, but the overwhelming vibe is ghetto.
I just wouldn't answer that way. Because sometimes the crowd is neither ghetto nor professional. It can be a younger crowd with a lot of creatives/entrepreneurs, or a crystals/spirits/weed type crowd you might find at a puff and paint. Or the type of crowd you find at Baltimore Comedy Factor (I've been a few times) or a Martin Lawrence comedy event at Royal Farms Arena (did that too). A more working/class/lower middle class mixed crowd. Professional doesn't equate to middle class. And there's distinctions between the upper middle and lower middle class.

Regardless to my dismay most every middle class black person I bump into lives of like exit 81 on 95 (Harford County) or Laurel or Columbia or Parkville or Resiterstown up off 795. The only middle-class black people I know in my area in SE Baltimore are two who went to school with me and moved down here from Boston when I did. And unlike me, most of their friends are white. But like me, they have black friends in DC ( I no longer due, the ones I knew: from Albany move back to Hartford CT from Georgia Ave where we went to college, from Boston she moved back to Jamaica where she was born and lived until age 6 from the Gale at Eckington in NoMa, one from Lynn MA lives in Suitland)

Old 07-07-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I just wouldn't answer that way. Because sometimes the crowd is neither ghetto nor professional. It can be a younger crowd with a lot of creatives/entrepreneurs, or a crystals/spirits/weed type crowd you might find at a puff and paint. Or the type of crowd you find at Baltimore Comedy Factor (I've been a few times) or a Martin Lawrence comedy event at Royal Farms Arena (did that too). A more working/class/lower middle class mixed crowd. Professional doesn't equate to middle class. And there's distinctions between the upper middle and lower middle class.

Regardless to my dismay most every middle class black person I bump into lives of like exit 81 on 95 (Harford County) or Laurel or Columbia or Parkville or Resiterstown up off 795. The only middle-class black people I know in my area in SE Baltimore are two who went to school with me and moved down here from Boston when I did. And unlike me, most of their friends are white. But like me, they have black friends in DC ( I no longer due, the ones I knew: from Albany move back to Hartford CT from Georgia Ave where we went to college, from Boston she moved back to Jamaica where she was born and lived until age 6 from the Gale at Eckington in NoMa, one from Lynn MA lives in Suitland)
You went to Howard?

Old 07-07-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You went to Howard?
No sorry, we went to school in Hartford. My friend was living in Georgia Ave before he moved back to Hartford.

I got into the B school at Howard but they never sent my finals package. I was in all the HU16 groups ready to go lol

Old 07-08-2022, 12:13 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Just curious, but do we have percentages of black households in city propers that make at least $75,000 besides the handful of Northeastern cities I posted earlier? That could give some idea of at least how many of these households are in cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.