Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2023, 03:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
I don't disagree with that. I personally don't consider Texas a part of the South (many disagree with this point, hah). I've heard western NY is more akin to the Midwest. I tried to subdivide a lot of my groups. I would divide these even further, but just generally.
Texas is huge. I live in NE Texas and consider NE Texas to be very southern, but it varies a lot from other regions of the state, which also vary from each other too. It's a border state, and so is Virginia. Of course there are going to be differences the closer to the border that one lives especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 11:48 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I’m guessing the New England settlement was centered in the northern part of the state?
There was very little New England settlement in northern Iowa. There was a little bit shortly after state hood (1846), and then things were stagnant until the late 1880's when tons of German and Norwegian immigrants showed up and started farming. My hometown for example was incorporated in 1894. I have plat maps of the county from the 1870's that show the vast majority of surveyed, but unoccupied and unfarmed prairie.

I've researched my lineage, and there's 0 connection to New England. I have a very slight amount of British ancestry, but it was likely gained in Europe. I didn't have an ancestor in North America prior to 1850. Half of my great grandparents were born in Europe, and the other have were children of immigrants. This is a common story for many people in the community I'm from.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
Historically, VA was southern, yes. But not anymore.
The only part of Virginia that isn't very clearly Southern is the DC suburbs.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:51 AM

399 posts, read 820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
German ancestry is incredibly overstated by people who live in Iowa and other states in the Midwest. Usually, if Americans have one or two grandparents with German ancestry, then they classify themselves as German-American and completely ignore or disregard their English ancestry, which might be greater than their German ancestry. The same phenomenon occurs with Americans who have Irish or Italian ancestry. Usually, one of the above prevails over English ancestry, especially in the Northeast.

English ancestry is clearly underreported but I don't think that necessarily means German ancestry is overstated. German ancestry is really dominant in the Midwest, especially the Upper part.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The only part of Virginia that isn't very clearly Southern is the DC suburbs.
Exactly. No matter how many ways they try to explain it away, Virginia is still in the South. DC and MD are technically Southern too, though culturally, they are a mixed bag.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:44 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
VA is certainly still a Southern state.
Yup. No doubt about it.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:00 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,047 times
As I was saying in another thread, the Northeast and the Midwest combined make up a region called the North, although it seems that a lot of people only consider the Northeast to make up the North.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
As I was saying in another thread, the Northeast and the Midwest combined make up a region called the North, although it seems that a lot of people only consider the Northeast to make up the North.
It goes back to the Civil War, I suspect. The identies of what we view today as "north" and "south" derive from that conflict. When there was the battle of North vs. South, some of the core Midwest states were in their infancy and very minor contributors in terms of total men and supplies. Places like Minnesota, Iowa, and Kansas were very young states that fought for the Union, but were still mostly unsettled by Europeans and had no industry to speak of. Nebraska and the Dakotas were still territories.

In the actual battle of North vs. South, they weren't major contributors.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:27 AM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I mostly hear this from people who aren't from the northeast or midwest. I've never met a midwesterner or someone from the northeast who didn't consider most of the midwest to be part of the north.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 05-09-2023 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-09-2023, 08:22 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I mostly hear this from people who aren't from the northeast or midwest. I've never met a midwesterner or someone from the northeast who didn't consider most of the midwest to be part of the north.
Yes, the state that obviously doesn't fit in very well is Missouri, as it isn't very northern, yet is mostly classified as the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.