Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 01:26 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times

Advertisements

-- why is having a zoo in town a requirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 05:56 PM

563 posts, read 515,297 times
Omaha really ticks all the boxes and has, by far, the best zoo. Before people point to snow, I’ll say last year, Omaha had only 9 inches of snowfall all winter. So far this year- 5 inches.

Omaha is the answer.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:08 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
We lived in Williamsburg, VA. I'd second Newport News as a good location, but I don't remember there being a zoo in the area?
The Virginia Zoo is in Norfolk.

https://virginiazoo.org/

Old 02-14-2023, 10:06 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,109,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The Virginia Zoo is in Norfolk.

https://virginiazoo.org/
Good. Unfortunately OP said they wanted the zoo in the town they live in, not a suburb or town nearby. Don't know OP's need for a zoo to be that close, but Newport News would be close enough for a regular visit to Norfolk, but maybe they want to live within walking distance? What say you OP??

Old 02-22-2023, 11:59 AM

167 posts, read 590,919 times
Quote:
As with most larger metro areas there are nicer neighborhoods, and not so nice ones. If you are a regularly smart person who pays attention to their surroundings, then crime is not a big issue in OKC.
Good point. I lived in Las Vegas for many years, and in NY, so I know how to be vigilant. My husband is 11 years older than me, so statistically he'll be gone before me and I'll want to be safe in my older years. He just turned 70, so it is a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Actually, Waco TX. has a nice zoo. I don't know if you would want to live there. Baylor University is there. The place Dr. Pepper came from.
Interesting. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
-- why is having a zoo in town a requirement?
and

Quote:
Don't know OP's need for a zoo to be that close, but Newport News would be close enough for a regular visit to Norfolk, but maybe they want to live within walking distance? What say you OP??
Because I would love to volunteer at a zoo. I also love sitting down and drawing the animals or photographing them. If I volunteer, I don't want to have to drive a long distance every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Omaha really ticks all the boxes and has, by far, the best zoo. Before people point to snow, I’ll say last year, Omaha had only 9 inches of snowfall all winter. So far this year- 5 inches. Omaha is the answer.
I had not considered it, so I'm off to do some research about it! Thanks.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:25 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
Good point. I lived in Las Vegas for many years, and in NY, so I know how to be vigilant. My husband is 11 years older than me, so statistically he'll be gone before me and I'll want to be safe in my older years. He just turned 70, so it is a concern.

Interesting. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

Because I would love to volunteer at a zoo. I also love sitting down and drawing the animals or photographing them. If I volunteer, I don't want to have to drive a long distance every time.

I had not considered it, so I'm off to do some research about it! Thanks.
That's your work? It's beautiful!

Old 02-24-2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's your work? It's beautiful!
Thank you so much.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:52 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Maybe Victoria, Texas could work. It might be weak in access to nature and food scene but should tick the other boxes.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Maybe Victoria, Texas could work. It might be weak in access to nature and food scene but should tick the other boxes.
Thanks! I'll give it a look!

Old 02-25-2023, 11:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
wow, lovely bears!

Last edited by Guineas; 02-25-2023 at 11:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.