Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 11:03 AM

514 posts, read 255,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Indeed, Scottsdale is wealthy, with a median household income of a bit over $100k. While somewhat lower than some of the better known wealthy enclaves on the coasts (e.g. Beverly Hills at $116k), the cost of housing in Scottsdale is also a lot more affordable, though not cheap with a median price of around $900k (vs. Beverly Hills at $3.5M). High income + moderate cost of living = wealth. You don't get wealthy by spending all your income on housing

It's not my cup of tea (I prefer cold winters), but one could do a lot worse than Scottsdale.
Not sure how one can live in BH for 116k. 900k doesn't get you too much in SoCal these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 01:29 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
OP, you might consider a place like Hillsborough NC.

It's the county seat of Orange County, home of Chapel Hill and the University of North Carolina and borders Durham, home of Duke University and a comprehensive city of 285K.
The climate is moderate with four equal seasons and surrounded by beautiful topography. The area is rich for quality medical care with nearby Duke and UNC, excellent cultural amenities, quality shopping options and a nationally respected food scene (great restaurants and year-round farmers markets). Traffic and congestion are non-existent in and around Hillsborough and the town itself has a thriving historic downtown area anchored by a beautiful riverwalk along the Eno River.

https://youtu.be/Zytpbh9nRxo

Old 12-28-2023, 06:06 PM

578 posts, read 565,813 times
Mississippi - Bay St Louis, Pass Christian, or Ocean Springs for idyllic coastal. Madison for clean, lovely suburban atmosphere
Arkansas - Fayetteville
South Carolina - Greenville is nice, as is Charleston
North Carolina - Greensboro and Winston-Salem are about the size of Huntsville more or less; also Wilmington for coastal

Arizona - I agree about Scottsdale...gorgeous. If that's too big, Tucson has the stunning Catalina Foothills and Oro Valley
Colorado - Colorado Springs or Fort Collins
Texas - Boerne in hill country just outside San Antonio is beautiful
Florida - Downtown St Pete is booming and vibrant and adorable; also Ponte Vedra Beach

Idaho - Boise is great and booming.
Iowa - Iowa City is beautiful and vibrant, idyllic
Missouri - Columbia is also an idyllic college town
Nebraska - Omaha is a great city, well organized and vibrant

Kentucky - Louisville's Bardstown Rd area is adorable and sophisticated
Montana - Bozeman is the hot area these days for good reason. Missoula is also idyllic,
Utah - Salt Lake City...my god the location is amazing. Actually Park City is right in the mountains and just 20 minutes away... paradise.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:19 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
I live near Brentwood and have been in the area a decent amount, and I've always been disappointed in it. Not that it's bad or anything, but rather because it feels like a lesser version of things elsewhere (Franklin, I like more, but it feels unnecessarily expensive to shop around).

The first comparison I have would be the Mountain Brook/Homewood/Vestavia Hills area of Birmingham (surprisingly, the three combined have the same physical footprint as Brentwood). Essentially, take the shopping in Franklin, but add more and varied price points, and the schools of both, smash them together, and make it quicker to reach anywhere else in the metro. The eastern shore of the Mobile Bay area (Fairhope/Magnolia Springs/Daphne/etc) would be another Alabama option if you're more of a beach person than a mountain one.

I don't know about the schools in the area, and it's a lot denser, but I also would prefer the Carytown area of Richmond over Brentwood (especially for shopping). If you want a more away from thing feel in Virginia, then Crozet. (For a comparative, I feel about the DC suburb Reston the same I feel about Brentwood.)

Fishkill/Beacon, NY would also be a pretty nice area to retire (again, don't know about schools). That said, take a look at the areas and don't go just by the city name on the address.
I would add nearby places like Wappingers Falls, Spackenkill or Cold Spring in Putnam County as well. I think Cold Spring would be a good fit if they like or don't mind a more quaint, smaller community: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...v2cb?entry=ttu
https://hvmag.com/things-to-do/cold-...hour-day-trip/

Plus, you have Metro-North access into NYC.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:35 AM

1,954 posts, read 2,303,781 times
yeah Denver Colorado I heard they need people

Old 01-06-2024, 01:56 AM

563 posts, read 516,134 times
Your answer is Omaha…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.