Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: Nashville, buy a house, traffic, sell our home, children, safe area.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 25,133 times

Advertisements

I have four children ages 10-6 months. I would like newer type atmosphere and surroundings. My family likes the nice new strip malls, activities for families etc. We like planned communities with pools and areas with growth. I need very good schools and low crime. I understand that Franklin is probably the best option but commute would probably be more than I desire. I don't want to commute longer than 30 minutes. What would people who live there suggest?

Thanks for the honest feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgreg View Post
I have four children ages 10-6 months. I would like newer type atmosphere and surroundings. My family likes the nice new strip malls, activities for families etc. We like planned communities with pools and areas with growth. I need very good schools and low crime. I understand that Franklin is probably the best option but commute would probably be more than I desire. I don't want to commute longer than 30 minutes. What would people who live there suggest?

It really depends on what your budget is. Murfreesboro costs so much less to live than Brentwood. In some instances you can buy the same home in Murfreesboro for half of what you would spend in Brentwood. Both have the same shopping, planned communities. Murfreesboro is a college town and home to the Largest ungraduate school in the state, MTSU., 23,000 students. My daughter is a freshman there but I live in the Nashville/Brentwood area so she dorms it there.
You probably would need to check which part of Murfreesboro has the better schools.
Another option you have is Nolensville, which is next to Brentwood, Williamson County Schools, and is close to I-24 .

Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM

225 posts, read 1,143,958 times
Quote:

I've lived in both M'boro and Brentwood - currently live in M'boro but moved here from Brentwood. Your price range is probably going to answer that question for you without a lot of debate. The price of homes in M'boro is significantly less than Brentwood. Unless you are in the $450K and up range, you will be very limited on home choices in Brentwood. Even if you are in the upper range, you will get a lot more home in M'boro compared to Brentwood. On the flip side, if you are in the higher ranges, then you will be limited on home choices in M'boro compared to Brentwood. There are many homes on the market in Brentwood in the 1million up range and very few in M'boro.

Murfreesboro is a great city with a lot of amenities and some excellent schools. I have four kids, the two youngest attend Erma Siegel, which we love. The growth here has been amazing and we now have unlimited dining and shopping venues. The Avenue is partially open and the remainder should be open by the end of the year. Hopefully, before the big Christmas shopping rush. It will contain over 200 new stores...and The Macaroni Grill is coming along nicely. M'boro has one of the best soccer complexes anywhere that opened last year. Sports, Dance, Acting, Fencing, cheerleading, gymanstics, karate, just about anything your children would like to be involved in will be available here. We even have The Children's Discovery Center which is an excellent hands-on children's museum. About the only thing we travel into Nashville for is to go to the Zoo which is an easy 30 minute drive for us. The commute from M'boro to LaVergne would be a breeze.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Smile Thanks for responses

Thanks for the responses. Our price range is $450-$650. I know it is a big range but it all depends on our ability to sell our home. I forgot to mention that my 10 year old daughter plays select soccer and the new complex in M'boro sounds great. I have also noticed that M'boro housing is much less expensive than Brentwood and can get more for the money. Our big concern is schools and community. Thanks again you both have been a big help.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:20 PM

Smile How does Nolensville compare to the other two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It really depends on what your budget is. Murfreesboro costs so much less to live than Brentwood. In some instances you can buy the same home in Murfreesboro for half of what you would spend in Brentwood. Both have the same shopping, planned communities. Murfreesboro is a college town and home to the Largest ungraduate school in the state, MTSU., 23,000 students. My daughter is a freshman there but I live in the Nashville/Brentwood area so she dorms it there.
You probably would need to check which part of Murfreesboro has the better schools.
Another option you have is Nolensville, which is next to Brentwood, Williamson County Schools, and is close to I-24 .

Diane,
What is the population of Nolensville? Is there shopping and restuarants like M'boro and Brentwood? What about newer developments etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Diane,
What is the population of Nolensville? Is there shopping and restuarants like M'boro and Brentwood? What about newer developments etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There are lots of New Developments. There is even one that said it was Brentwood, but it was really Nolenville. Nolensville is a small town, but is ajacent to Brentwood on one side and Suburban Nashville on the other side.
It is in Williamson County so you can use all the Rec, Centers that williamson county has to offer. Parts of it are not far from Concord Road in Brentwood.
If you need a good realtor I could recommend the one that sold me this house over a year ago. The HS for Nolensville is Ravenwood HS in Brentwood.
Diane

Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Quote:
Our price range is $450-$650.
Enjoy your new enormous home in middle TN!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:59 AM

225 posts, read 1,143,958 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Our price range is $450-$650. I know it is a big range but it all depends on our ability to sell our home. I forgot to mention that my 10 year old daughter plays select soccer and the new complex in M'boro sounds great. I have also noticed that M'boro housing is much less expensive than Brentwood and can get more for the money. Our big concern is schools and community. Thanks again you both have been a big help.
Our 10 year old daughter played Select Soccer too! She just gave it up because she has gone into competition dance which is HER passion. We really, really enjoyed the soccer! She still has lots of friends that play Select Soccer so if you need information on coaches, other moms who you can chat with, who to call etc. just let me know.

Your price range will definitely allow you to buy in Brentwood or Murfreesboro. I would advise you to just spend a little time in both communities. When I work with relocation clients we generally dedicate a few days to both areas and by the end of their first visit they usually know which community fits their lifestyle best. There is a completely different feel to both areas. Try to pick an area first and then it will be much easier to select a home. As broad as your price range is, you will be overwhelemed if you try to look at all the homes in M'boro and Brentwood that are available. Once you have decided on an area, it is much easier to go back and zero in on the perfect home for your family. Nolensville has some nice homes but it isn't a city but a suburub of Brentwood. It really isn't super convenient for quick trips for things like movies, eating-out, etc. Not a terribly long commute but it is definitely not a "city" like Brentwood or Murfreesboro. Again, spending a little time in each area will usually determine which area you like best.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Brentwood vs. Murfreesboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellkids View Post
Our 10 year old daughter played Select Soccer too! She just gave it up because she has gone into competition dance which is HER passion. We really, really enjoyed the soccer! She still has lots of friends that play Select Soccer so if you need information on coaches, other moms who you can chat with, who to call etc. just let me know.

Your price range will definitely allow you to buy in Brentwood or Murfreesboro. I would advise you to just spend a little time in both communities. When I work with relocation clients we generally dedicate a few days to both areas and by the end of their first visit they usually know which community fits their lifestyle best. There is a completely different feel to both areas. Try to pick an area first and then it will be much easier to select a home. As broad as your price range is, you will be overwhelemed if you try to look at all the homes in M'boro and Brentwood that are available. Once you have decided on an area, it is much easier to go back and zero in on the perfect home for your family. Nolensville has some nice homes but it isn't a city but a suburub of Brentwood. It really isn't super convenient for quick trips for things like movies, eating-out, etc. Not a terribly long commute but it is definitely not a "city" like Brentwood or Murfreesboro. Again, spending a little time in each area will usually determine which area you like best.

Thanks to all the responses. In reviewing data on the internet it seems as though Brentwood is a much safer community than Murfreesboro. Am I correct in this assumption based on the data I found on the internet? The serious crimes per 100,000 is well over 6,000 in M'boro but under 1,000 in Brentwood. is this based on the college? Also, the median income is much higher in Brentwood which might also have something to do with the college. For those that live in M'boro, do you worry about the crime rate? Also, are you concerned for the safety of your children in any way? What about the schools? Are the kids rougher due to the lower incomes? I don't mean to be a snob but usually lower incomes mean tougher schools and more dangerous schools.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Murfreesboro has a lot more crime than Brentwood, but it's mostly isolated, just like anywhere else. There aren't really any large areas of the city that are "bad"; they're mostly neighborhoods. Even then, they're quite obvious. You would know you were in a rougher area just by looking out of your window.

I supposedly live in a rougher area, but nothing has happend to my or my family. A guy that lives in the end unit of my fourplex was shot a few months ago in a drug deal gone bad, but that's about it. That's what happens when you live somewhere where rent is $550/mo. though.

Last edited by Mike in TN; 09-06-2007 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville