Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times

Advertisements

If your job gave you the opportunity to live in Phoenix or Tucson, which city would you choose to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
At one time I was considering both and leaning towards Tucson. At this point with the cost of gas and Arizona being so car dependent with miles and miles of driving each day it has lost its appeal. I really do feel many people will have to reconsider living in the car dependent areas mentioned, or others as the gas problems become even more severe in this country and world.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Lets see... do you take the Hellspawn, never-ending, blast furnace heat in PHX, coupled with a few decent burbs and a bunch of crappy ones, with more amenties than Tucson? Or do you take shady old Tucson, which is a bit cooler and less white-collar, that has less to do and isnt very appealing in most areas.

Hmmm. Tough call.

My answer? Shoot me in the face with a bazooka. lol

I could handle a place like North Scottsdale or Carefree, maybe even a little Fountain Hills or Cave Creek thrown in, thats about it. I also wouldnt mind Jerome or Winslow, but definitely NOT Phoenix OR Tucson... gag me with a spoon.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Tucson all the way! I like college people!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
then move to tempe where ASU has one of the highest enrollments in the nation

tucson is definitley not my cup of tea

Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I would rather go with Tucson,you could post any city against Phoenix and I will pick the other city any day,I hate Phoenix.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Agreed, Tucson has alot less sprawl and traffic, much better mountains and a better university. Tucson hands down!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
it depends on what you are looking for - to me tucson is basically albuquerque light and there is no way I could ever live in abq

has a run-down industrial feel - less activities, less entertainment options as far as sports, music, theater, etc

some like the slower pace - it drives me nuts

they are completely different feels - it's really to each their own - what are you looking for in a metro?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:26 PM

5 posts, read 31,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
If your job gave you the opportunity to live in Phoenix or Tucson, which city would you choose to live in?

I first visited Tucson with my grandparents, many, many years ago. We had been staying at the Biltmore in Scottsdale and came through here to go to the border. I remarked that I thought it was beautiful. My grandmother said, "Maybe someday you'll live here." I never really considered that until 2000. My partner and I came down to stay at the Westward Look for a long weekend. We returned every winter just after Xmas for 4 years, at Ventana, until we moved here. Previously we had gone to Scottsdale and although some of the resorts there are nice, the area itself didn't compare to Tucson for beauty or air quality. Tucson is rated in the top 5 best in the USA. Phoenix is near the bottom.

We settled in Oro Valley and have great views all around us. I've lived in Beverly Hills, La Jolla, Seattle, NYC, Mexico City and Sydney. I have never loved an area more than this one. We have great privacy here and the area is quite safe, in the sense of lack of crime.

Yes, it's hot in the summer, but we are totally air conditioned and swim at least twice a day in the pool which cools us also. The evenings are warm and tranquil for outdoor dining.

It's no wonder that two of the top 10 spas in the world, Miraval (about 5 miles from us) and Canyon Ranch are both in Tucson. No other American City can boast that... plus a host of world class resorts, like Ventana, where we used to stay, La Paloma and the Ritz which is being built about 5 miles from us also.

We are very involved in the Arts and Tucson has, for its size, a very vibrant art community. We go to the Symphony and Opera, which are both acceptable. They are of course not of the caliber of NYC or SF, but we can travel to either when we wish and LIVE our lives here.

Because of the University, the social climate is quite diverse and interesting, almost the equal of Berkeley.

It isn't for everyone,but if you can take the time to enjoy the beauty and tranquility here, it's wonderful.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Tucson, hands down:
  • Superior climate, especially during the monsoon season. If you have never experienced a monsoon rain in Tucson you are truly missing out on life!
  • Superior mountain views all around, much more dramatic sense of place within the southwest.
  • You can actually see the stars at night. Hey... if that's not important to you, then why bother living in the southwest at all?
  • Absolutely gorgeous Sonoran desert landscaping incorporated everywhere in the city. Tucson is, IMO, the #1 city the southwest for incorporating xeriscaping.
  • A lot of unique hole in the wall independent businesses and restaurants around town-- you just have to explore the nitty gritty to find them.
  • Nicer, more laid back people.
  • Less people, less crowding (although traffic in Tucson can be surprisingly bad) than in larger cities. Sometimes Tucson is defined as much by what isn't there as what is there.

IMO, Tucson is what living in the southwest is all about. Phoenix takes all the fun away from living in the southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.