Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kentucky or Tennessee?
Kentucky 32 21.92%
Tennessee 71 48.63%
I love/like them equally 25 17.12%
I hate/dislike them equally 3 2.05%
Who cares? 15 10.27%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

Bordering states. Similar cultures (west TN v. west KY, east TN v. east KY, although northern KY not really like the South.) Similar accents. SEC rival universities. Large river cities: Memphis and Nashville v. Louisville. Kentucky's original bluegrass music v. Tennessee's produced country music. These states have many similarities and some differences.

Which state do you prefer and why? Which one is friendlier in your opinion?

I chose Tennessee...and I live in Kentucky! Why the choice?
  • Tennessee's economics are faring very, very well while Kentucky can't seem to get its tax structure and economic development incentives together.
  • Tennessee still has reasonably priced public higher education while Kentucky has just this year surpassed the national average for tuition. (I saw it in this Wednesday's Lexington Herald-Leader.) i.e.: UT's in-state tuition is cheaper than UK's, and UT is a much stronger and more respected institution.
  • As pretty and picturesque as Kentucky is, Tennessee is even prettier.
  • The farther South one goes in Tennessee (especially below I-40), the friendlier the people get; I've never found Kentucky's friendliness level to be quite up to par with some of the Southern tier states.
Kentucky does have one advantage over Tennessee, though: Ale-8-1. Ha!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-11-2008 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I've never been but they both seem pretty nice and looks like they have some nice scenery.

And they are the #2 and #3 Top Marijuana producing states in the nation after CA , which gets points in my book , so I voted them equally. Not sure what the quality is like there though......

Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
I like them both but my dad lives in TN so I gotta go with the Volunteers!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
They both are known for there friendliness and and great country side. I love both states. Kentucky has so many great cities as well as Tennessee. I think Kentucky has been ranked safer than Tennessee. I think Tennessee was ranked bad because Memphis statistics throw off the whole state. I don't know what state I would rather live in? I chose both.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,753 times
Default Kentucky

Horses!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,860 times
I'm just curious, and I don't want to come across as judgemental, my opinions are purely as an outsider to both places. Both states seem like beautiful places, and I've even thought about getting some land one day in one of them, the thing that bothers me is that I am under the impression that there is a lot of racism in both states, not neccesarily in the cities, but more when you get out into the countryside. This would be a big problem for me and my fiancee, is it still a reality?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 PM

87 posts, read 358,117 times
Gotta go with my homestate...especially since my in-laws live in Tennessee.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Tennessee is really a beautiful stae. The great smoky's is the most visited nation park for a reason.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Kentucky is just as beautiful as Tennessee in my eyes. I think Kentucky gets over looked when people are looking for mountain views.

Both are equally attractive

Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Kentucky is just as beautiful as Tennessee in my eyes. I think Kentucky gets over looked when people are looking for mountain views.

Both are equally attractive
Very true. Kentucky and Tennessee are much more alike than different.

One big difference is that the mountains of Kentucky are much more remote and are in much poorer areas that are losing population. Tennessee's mountains are closer to urban areas, airports and interstate highways and so are more easily accessible. Hence the Great Smoky Mountains being the most popular national park in the country.

Here are some pictures of some beautiful areas shared by Kentucky and Tennessee. The pics were found at Google Images.

First up, Cumberland Gap National Historic Park. This pic is looking south into Tennessee (the town of Cumberland Gap):

http://kspg.org/MiddlesboroKSPG03/re...834Resized.jpg

Turning around at the same spot, now we're looking north into Kentucky (Middlesboro):

http://kspg.org/MiddlesboroKSPG03/re...833Resized.jpg

Dale Hollow Lake. The dam is in Tennessee but the lake extends into Kentucky:

http://www.dalehollowlake.com/images/ArialoftheLake.JPG

Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area:

http://www.easttennesseewildflowers....erlook0001.jpg
http://www.fentressco.com/morepictures/flight2.jpg

Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area:

http://www.dovertn.com/area_attractions/images/lbl.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erial_view.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 11-08-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.