Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:05 PM
kdv kdv started this thread

3 posts, read 7,055 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
This is my first time posting and I hope this is the correct place to be asking my questions because I am completely TOSSED at this point!

As it states in my subject line I am so close to opening a map and throwing a dart...wherever it lands is where I will move! However, with my luck the dart will pierce the map sharply somewhere in the sea.

I truly hope to get many responses to this post because the more info I receive from people in various areas is really going to be beneficial to me. So, even If you feel what you have to say isn't much I encourage you to please engage me, I'm desperate to make a desicion and your smallest insight could be my deciding factor.

I live in New Jersey. I have all my life except for one year in Stroudsburg, PA. I am a female, in my mid 30's, a widow, no children. (a puppy!)
I HAVE to get out of here! I feel I'm at a crossroads and something has to happen. I have been thinking about making this move seriously now for about a year and a half and the only thing stopping me is I DON'T know where I want to move to?

I don't know where is good for me?
Where is a place that is going to have what I like?
...Wherever I move... that is all I'm going to have... so It has to be engaging for me.
This is a very scary reality. I am very willing to face it If I feel I have some direction first. Right now, I'm blank.
I'm not working, which I guess could be a good thing right now?

What am I leaving behind?
My mom, in which I see maybe every few months, she lives in another state.
My neice, who I adore, but there are planes.
My BEST FRIEND. Planes. (She has 4 kids) (can she get away?) LOL...
Those are the three big ones.

What am I looking for?
I do love the change of seasons... but winter is not my fav. I'm a sun person. But always wanting to try "new" things... like snowboarding!
So I'm "iffy" on this.
I love big old victorian homes.
I need to feel safe cause I'm alone.
I want to rent, not buy... a house.
I do love the beach.
No Jersey attitude!
(I feel like I'm on a dating site! LOL..)
I don't like bugs
I HATE, HATE, HATE, rain!

I'm tossed again....
So help me out!
As If you can't tell I'm at a loss.
I'm rambling....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv View Post

What am I looking for?
I do love the change of seasons... but winter is not my fav. I'm a sun person. But always wanting to try "new" things... like snowboarding!
So I'm "iffy" on this.
I love big old victorian homes.-New Jersey
I need to feel safe cause I'm alone.-Most Jersey suburbs
I want to rent, not buy... a house.-Most of the US right now
I do love the beach.Jersey has a shore, but many other states have beaches
No Jersey attitude!South Jersey
(I feel like I'm on a dating site! LOL..)-Single, but probably too young.
I don't like bugs-All places have bugs unless you want to live on an EPA superfund site
I HATE, HATE, HATE, rain! -Phoenix, Arizona

I'm tossed again....
So help me out!
I'm rambling....

Your just too picky .

Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Hey everyone!
This is my first time posting and I hope this is the correct place to be asking my questions because I am completely TOSSED at this point!

As it states in my subject line I am so close to opening a map and throwing a dart...wherever it lands is where I will move! However, with my luck the dart will pierce the map sharply somewhere in the sea.

I truly hope to get many responses to this post because the more info I receive from people in various areas is really going to be beneficial to me. So, even If you feel what you have to say isn't much I encourage you to please engage me, I'm desperate to make a desicion and your smallest insight could be my deciding factor.

I live in New Jersey. I have all my life except for one year in Stroudsburg, PA. I am a female, in my mid 30's, a widow, no children. (a puppy!)
I HAVE to get out of here! I feel I'm at a crossroads and something has to happen. I have been thinking about making this move seriously now for about a year and a half and the only thing stopping me is I DON'T know where I want to move to?

I don't know where is good for me?
Where is a place that is going to have what I like?
...Wherever I move... that is all I'm going to have... so It has to be engaging for me.
This is a very scary reality. I am very willing to face it If I feel I have some direction first. Right now, I'm blank.
I'm not working, which I guess could be a good thing right now?

What am I leaving behind?
My mom, in which I see maybe every few months, she lives in another state.
My neice, who I adore, but there are planes.
My BEST FRIEND. Planes. (She has 4 kids) (can she get away?) LOL...
Those are the three big ones.

What am I looking for?
So I'm "iffy" on this.
I do love the beach.
No Jersey attitude!
I don't like bugs

I'm tossed again....
So help me out!
I'm rambling....

Isn't hating rain and loving season change somewhat of a contradiction?

I would say the southwest, you have most of the things on your list but not season change.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
you wouldn't be near the beach - but denver or boise could be a nice fit

Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
I do love the beach.
No Jersey attitude!
I don't like bugs
If you can do without the victorian homes, then perhaps LA or San Diego? You said you want to rent anyway. If you're that serious about hating rain, if you're also able to forgo the beach (and the victorian homes)... then the desert southwest may be for you. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, and El Paso. Either way, if you're dead set on getting as little rain and as much sun as possible, you're bound for the western/southwestern US.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,672 times
I was thinking San Diego/socal also. No victorian homes but a short drive to the mountains or desert or beach or whatever suits your fancy. Weather is nice year round but not much of a seasonal cycle. Very little rain.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 AM

167 posts, read 492,632 times
You want beach AND snow? The Sacramento area in North CA and Inland Empire in South CA are both about an hour west to the beach and an hour east to snowy mountains in winter. No Victorian homes though. For that, you'd have to go to San Francisco.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,221 times
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Actually, L.A. does have Victorian homes, but they're usually part of a historic society, like this and are consequently out of most people's price range:

https://secure2.convio.net/lac/site/...g4kb3ia3.app2a

If you don't like rain, then the Pacific Northwest is out. How do you feel about heat, especially dry heat?

Also, because the humidity is lower west of the Rocky Mountains, there are less bugs than you'll find in the eastern part of the country. You'll still have to deal with some, no matter where you are (where I am, we get spiders and ants most often), of course.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,691,424 times
Fresno or Sacramento, and maybe Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.