Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Un-educated and mindless assumptions about city(ies) the poster has not visited, let alone experienced. It's great to share opinions, but qualify your opinions if there are no facts to back them up. Example:_____ is a pit. Wow, really profound. That contributes a lot to the discussion. INstead try________ is a city I don't like. Then list legitimate, factual reasons.Temper your critiscisms and opinions if you have not visited and explored the city you are discussing.
For example. I have not been to San Diego or Charleston SC. I have seen images on TV, read a little about both and can gain info from books/internet. How valid would it be if I start recommending neighborhodds in these towns? OK, how valid would it be if I started criticisizing these towns. It would be as valid as a politicians campaign promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
negative posts about their city? It's not like you actually built it? OR, when someone says that people from so and so place are ugly or rude, you take offense as if you are related to every one of them?
Just so strange to me!
Because it's a reflection of their taste. It says, "You don't know how to pick a nice place to live."

Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 PM

21 posts, read 74,404 times
Default No issues with these comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
NYC - Generally dirty. People are kind of unfriendly and sometimes snobbish. Grotesquely expensive.
Chicago - Run by a corrupt political machine that exists for its own benefit. Bad winters. Creaky and inefficient public transit.
SF - Big homelessness problem. Nearly as expensive as NY. Too touristy in many areas.

There! I said it. You know, you can like a place, even love a place, and still see that it has flaws. Now, reasonable people may disagree with all or some of my observations about my three favorite cities, but no city is perfect, or all things to all people. I think we'd do well to remember that.
This doesn't offend me at all. In fact I agree...well for NYC and SF. I'm not really familiar with Chicago. Either way, this is not offensive at all...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 PM

21 posts, read 74,404 times
Default Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I think it's very offensive that people don't realize Omaha is the center of the universe.
China thinks their the center of the world. That's what China (in chinese) means.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
People take pride in where they live and come from... that's like asking why people get mad when people insult Americans.
Its a group thing. People are saying you live in a rat hole, the place you take pride in. Of course some people always go against their cities, but those are generally pessimistic people.
I think you should defend your city but also be honest and make it seem like the best place on earth. To evaluate and judge honestly as if you have never been to the city. I think I do a good job of that, but if you have two opposite opinions you will always have conflict.

^
Zhong does mean center, but it is an ancient terms. YOu do think your the center if all the experience you have is being the Strongest Nation or race in the freaking area.
I mean you didn't see any Khmers (no offense to those out there) building walls, palaces, and beating the crap out of every tribe that wasn't Han. They do have the Ankor Wat in all fairness. But in ancient society everyone thought they were the center. Chinese is one of the few languages that generally goes unchanged over the years.
Zhong however also means middle, so the translation could be Middle Country... Zhong Guo.
The US means Beautiful country, litterally... Mei guo, but its not cause they think its a nice place...its just how you phonetically say America.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Un-educated and mindless assumptions about city(ies) the poster has not visited, let alone experienced. It's great to share opinions, but qualify your opinions if there are no facts to back them up. Example:_____ is a pit. Wow, really profound. That contributes a lot to the discussion. INstead try________ is a city I don't like. Then list legitimate, factual reasons.Temper your critiscisms and opinions if you have not visited and explored the city you are discussing.
For example. I have not been to San Diego or Charleston SC. I have seen images on TV, read a little about both and can gain info from books/internet. How valid would it be if I start recommending neighborhodds in these towns? OK, how valid would it be if I started criticisizing these towns. It would be as valid as a politicians campaign promise.
Well said.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Probably the same reason people get angry when someone in another Country says America is a crap hole or all Americans are fat, rude, dumb etc.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
^^ amrerica does need a facelift!

LA, Chi, NY, Miami as cities are great, but metro areas are the same everywhere...bad har, bad clothes, obesity....its in jersey, ny, pa, fla, ill, ca.., north dakota

Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
negative posts about their city? It's not like you actually built it? OR, when someone says that people from so and so place are ugly or rude, you take offense as if you are related to every one of them?
Just so strange to me!
Because it's not your or anyone else's place to trash a city. If you don't like someone's city, no one's forcing you to move, let alone live there. Posting negatively, even if constructive reflects poorly on you because it's not like you're going to change any minds so.....yeah. On the Jacksonville forum, a lot of people are good for trashing that place but I simply tell them "If you don't like Jacksonville, leave or don't move here. Problem solved."

Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
There are several issues regarding this.

1.Common courtesy. You can type up your dislike of a city all you want, but there is no need to say putrid remarks. Most people that use the most fowl words are hoping for some kind of feed back, and guess what? They're gonna get it.

2. Usually on forums, you see the same person or group of people taking a bash on a certain city or area. I see this happen everywhere. It's not that the people would care so much, it's just that they are probably tired of getting the same mess thrown in their faces.

3.Move on. This can go with the first and second problem I mentioned here. No one ever moves on from it. I agree that when someone makes a comment about a city that you should just ignore it or ask politely why they feel this way, but this also goes the other way around. There are numerous times when the person who makes the comment never lets it go. They get upset when the people of that city are angry. Well guess what? They're never going to get it! Both the commenter and the defenders are basically doing the exact same thing, not moving on from it and accepting that some people love it and some people hate it.

4.Generalizing. This just gets annoying when people who have never even been to a place makes a comment just based on what they heard from TV, a magazine, or some terrible movie.

5.Some people just are very defensive. Try not to get into it, even though I know it is hard.

6.This is a forum. For one, you never really know what people mean(ie, jokes, sarcasm) and secondly people are going to state their opinions. And opinions are exactly what they are.

And I also want to add that no one is going to be perfect about this, sometimes a derogatory comment about the town you grew up in or just absolutely loved hits close to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.