Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is experiencing the most gentrification?
St. Louis, Missouri 8 4.60%
Baltimore, Maryland 9 5.17%
Boston, Massachusetts 9 5.17%
New York, New York 44 25.29%
Cincinnati, Ohio 8 4.60%
San Francisco, California 11 6.32%
Chicago, Illinois 24 13.79%
Washington, D.C. 39 22.41%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 12 6.90%
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 9 5.17%
Atlanta, Georgia 24 13.79%
San Diego, California 6 3.45%
Los Angeles, California 18 10.34%
Buffalo, New York 2 1.15%
Other 14 8.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
So I cited a location where gentrification is occurring, I mentioned the economics of it (housing costs) and I also threw in another motive, schools. Talk to any urban planner about this and he will say the same two characteristics about gentrification.

Though admittedly, I don't know anything about the public schools in those areas. Sorry
But you said " People aren't just becoming displaced because they can't afford that place..", which is untrue b/c that is the main reason people leave SF, especially if they are going to a place with just as much crime and just as bad schools, which many from that area of SF do. I have a degree in Urban Studies and Planning if that means anything as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
It's kind of amusing to see how the term "gentrification" is now seen in a positive light, when it wasn't too long ago that it was associated as a more depressing matter.

It's still the same now as it was then: "kicking out poor people".
That's true. I have mixed feelings on it. I watched the Fourth Ward here in Houston disappear and morph into Midtown/Montrose over a decade or so and the difference is remarkable. An area that was historically an African-American neighborhood full of shotgun shacks as late as the 1990's is now all shiny, new townhouses and condos with restaurants and services catering to its new yuppie residents. The positives of gentrification are that once blighted downtown areas are being revitalized. Bringing people back to a city's heart is a good thing. It makes the city more fun, interesting, and vibrant, but of course that in turn drives up prices. The displacing of people without the means to afford to live there anymore once the yuppies start moving in is problematic. Here in Houston there are initiatives providing for affordable housing (not projects) options so that low-income and working-class families can stay in or move to these areas, so I guess that's something, at least.

Last edited by houstoner; 08-05-2008 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
You left out Houston and Dallas!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Sometimes gentrification is a good thing. Yes, it displaces those already living there, but if it pumps some money back into the city and makes the city grow, it may be a good thing for the city overall.

I don't agree with demolishing neighborhoods and putting up new buildings, but if you can rehab the buildings already there and put in some tasteful infill, I'm all for it.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Atlanta is definitely experiencing gentrification which I agree is "more or less a fancy term for rehabbing downtrodden, working-class neighborhoods." I consider projects like Atlantic yards and the Pearl District to be urban redevelopment.

It is indeed a complex issue which is neither wholly good or bad. In almost all cases someone gets hurt or displaced, but when it happens slowly enough it can be good for getting better services for the original residents. Sad but true but the squeaky wheels (yuppies) get the grease. An important factor is whether taxes are increased for the long time homeowners. Also, the fate of displaced renters. In an area with a lot of vacant buildings I think it can be a very good thing. Detroit could use some gentrification.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 AM

936 posts, read 3,191,409 times
San Diego's East Village in downtown has experienced tremendous gentrification and through 2020 it will be continuously improving. I am probably one of a few people who may truly believe that over the next century, downtown San Diego will be the city to compete against for gentrification. By 2020, downtown San Diego is going to look AMAZING! By 2040, it will be absolutely glorious and mystifying! It may have a 500 foot limit, but that doesn't matter, it just means more 500 footers will have to be built to make up for the height limit

By 2050, San Diego will be the most modern city in America!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:14 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
I'd say Los Angeles.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 PM

83 posts, read 123,693 times
san francisco more quickley than any other city is becoming all rich! bayview, the poorest sf neighborhood is being wripped down for nice condos! soon it will literaly be all wealthy!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuislavie View Post
san francisco more quickley than any other city is becoming all rich! bayview, the poorest sf neighborhood is being wripped down for nice condos! soon it will literaly be all wealthy!
Just warning you, somebody's gonna come on here and tear you a new one for reopening an old thread. For some reason it's a pet peeve of some folks on here, even though it's really easy to accidentally do.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 AM

423 posts, read 646,858 times
Washington, D.C.
The poor is being driven out in droves and the demographics are changing, D.C. will cease to be a black majority city this decade.

There was a time when most of D.C. was ghetto and dangerous, especially in the 80's and 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.