Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S lowering the age limit back to 18 for drinking alcohol?
Yes, lower it to 18! 198 60.92%
No, keep it 21 as it is now 112 34.46%
I don't know/care 15 4.62%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Connecticut's legal drinking age was 18 years old when I graduated from high school. We did alright and I don't think I can recall more than one alcohol related fatality in our town during my fours years in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Unsurprisingly, out of the 15 people who so far have voted to lower it to the age of 18, only TWO HAVE POSTED!

I think it would be tremendously irresponsible and negligent to lower it to the age of 18 for a thousand reasons. I will name one big reason.

By this standard, 18 year old highschool kids can get alcohol anytime. For those who voted to lower it, think long and hard about this one.
I'm sorry to be blunt, but that statement took a special amount of naivete. Kids can already get alcohol; be it from theft, the grapevine or their totally awesome sibling. These slippery slope arguments grow real old real fast.
If drunk driving increases, do something about drunk driving. Withholding alcohol from the equation is just as good as withholding gasoline from the equation. If 16 year olds start getting hold of liquor, penalize the guy buying it for said 16 year old. Don't feed us all a crap story about how liquor quells adolescent development. Not drinking milk does too, but people have to let kids learn to grow up and make their own decisions. An 18 year old is given legal right to smoke, drive, open a bank account, gamble, fight a war, get married, buy a house and become a stripper. All of these activites have the same power to hurt a person as much as drinking does. People always lament about how juvenile this generation is. The reason for that being that nobody as ever asked them to make a decision. People must stop expecting kids to grow up when they take away the self-determination that differentiates a child from an adult.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Another thing. When somebody is 18 they are usually still living at home where they would be supervised by a parent. At 21, they are flying solo and trying to juggle their recently-established independence with their belated right to drink. What would you want as a parent?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I just did. I realized that most 18 year old high school kids can get alcohol anytime anyway. We aren't talking about legalizing burglary here.
Well turn that into all of them, at any time. There is a big difference between "easy" access to alcohol, to absolute access.
For the most part, 18 year old highschool kids have to be selective in buying alcohol. Its a trial and error process. You and your buddies either know who can buy you alcohol at a given time, or you maybe call around, or you wait until your buyer can do it for you. The younger you are, say 16, the harder it may be to get a hold of alcohol.
Now imagine if you're a 16 year old wanting to buy alochol. Your connection is as easy as asking any 18 year old senior willing to make an extra $5 on the side.
And if you think college/fraternity parties are something. Just wait until the 18 year old high school kids have their own alcohol. Id suggest sistting back and seeing just how many of these kids each carry 24 packs of Busch Light underneath each arm. Also observe the number of 15-16 year old girls go into the party house at 10pm, and dont leave until 6am wearing the same clothes as the night before.

Im glad the rational thinking American citizens will never allow such a stupid and irresponsible law to be passed based upon idiots who'd like nothing more than to see 18 year old girls at the bars they could hit on after a round of drinks.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
I don't think the drinking age should be lowered to 18. That is too young for kids to be hanging out in night clubs\ bars. I do believe, however, that marijuana should be legalized for everyone 18 & older. People do not get into tragic auto accidents smoking marijuana. Have you ever heard of people fighting because of smoking marijuana?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I'm sorry to be blunt, but that statement took a special amount of naivete. Kids can already get alcohol; be it from theft, the grapevine or their totally awesome sibling. These slippery slope arguments grow real old real fast.
If drunk driving increases, do something about drunk driving. Withholding alcohol from the equation is just as good as withholding gasoline from the equation. If 16 year olds start getting hold of liquor, penalize the guy buying it for said 16 year old. Don't feed us all a crap story about how liquor quells adolescent development. Not drinking milk does too, but people have to let kids learn to grow up and make their own decisions. An 18 year old is given legal right to smoke, drive, open a bank account, gamble, fight a war, get married, buy a house and become a stripper. All of these activites have the same power to hurt a person as much as drinking does. People always lament about how juvenile this generation is. The reason for that being that nobody as ever asked them to make a decision. People must stop expecting kids to grow up when they take away the self-determination that differentiates a child from an adult.
Most of my argument is based on the fact that many 18 year olds are still in high school. That fact alone makes giving 18 year olds a dangerous weapon. The accessibility of alcohol by younger kids would be insurmountable based on the single fact that they go to high school.
18 year olds in highschool are still very immature. Much of this has to do with being surrounded by the immature highschool environment. Alcohol is not something that should be taken by immature people.

More importantly, I dont think its presence should be made stronger to younger kids. The younger kids already have to listen, and be "razzle dazzled" by hearing who went to what party that had a ton of alcohol. The last thing these kids need is to be influenced by every 18 year old talking about going to the bars.

Whereas I would have less objections to highschool graduates being able to drink beer, if its in the public schools with younger kids, its a idiotic idea.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
All I'll say they should stay consistent...
to say "you can blow somebodies brains out (IE: Join the Military), Drive, Vote for president granted most people don't know anything worth anything (both Liberals and Conservatives) at 18... but you can't have a beer...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
First off McGowdog congrats on 5 years sobriety WTG! Says I have to spread the love around before I can rep ya again~~sorry.

Second whomever said the government doesn't tell a person they can't smoke or over eat is wrong. There are already smoking bans all across this country with many more trying, NY passed a law where restaurants have to list calories on their menu items, some of CA is banning any new fast food joints from moving in or building in areas. Insurance companies are now starting to put less coverage on overweight & smoking people now, they are wanting companies to offer incentives to health clubs as a benefit to reduce rates. So government is already into our daily life choices it will just get bigger very soon wait and see.

Third, to the poster wanting marijuana legal where is the line drawn that a "responsible smoker" will cut it off & chill at home and where a non-responsible smoker will keep on toking driving to the next party? Because a driver under the influence of pot, meth, coke etc. hits and kills one of your family members it makes it OK in your book because they weren't drunk from alcohol? Or are you just saying less pot heads don't fight like drunks do? DUI is still driving under the influence it is just the drivers choice what they want to do it by then break the law by driving.

I think *most* 18yo are too immature not having full brain maturity at that age to understand consquences of their actions or life choices. I freak at some things I thought at 18 if I had carried them through! With the consumption of alcohol and it is a disaster waiting to happen if they can legally buy it. DUI's are in our daily paper of repeat offenders it doesn't stop them from bonding out and driving again! Stiffer consequences starting with the first arrest needs to be enforced to bring down the DUI arrests.

Besides look at the real issue why this is being brought up and many college's staffs are supporting it.................................. the all mighty dollar. If 18 is the legal drinking age then college's are off the hook of being responsible for liability if their students get arrested or damage things. It isn't to stop binge drinking and if you think that then you aren't fully aware of the whole issue behind lowering it.

I do think if you are of legal age to fight for our country you should be of legal age to drink & vote, but those need to be raised to 21 as well in my opinion.

Last edited by Jaxson; 08-20-2008 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: why I can't rep

Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Thanks, the Karma has been good to me. Hopefully you as well.

For most people, it ain't no big deal. But it's life and death to me. It's taken me 14 to get 5, if you know what I mean. For me the solution is simple; drink and die, get locked up, or go insane- or stay sober and try to be like everybody else. I deserve no special credit for finally living by the rules, but I can be uniquely helpful to a select few who understand.

If you look at our history, you can see the futile attempts to take alcohol away from adults; temperance movements, reformers, and prohibition totally back-fired. It gave rise to shine and organized crime. I see meth the same way.

Nowadays, they have a pill for many ills. Beta blockers, sleeping pills, weight pills, blood pressure pills, mood pills, vicodin, etc.

As someone in recovery, I understand that it's life and death for me. I wish I truly focussed on this while I was at an earlier age. Getting slammed into a brick wall slowed me a bit, but my crazy life seemed normal to me at the time.

The most important thing to realize here is that if a kid wants to get high, they're gonna get high. Getting sober has to come from within as well. I must realize that I am responsible. 100% responsibility for myself is the only formula that works. I can't blame my woes on my family, stress, her, him, them, my circumstances, the gov't, my finances, romances, etc.

I can't even trust a doctor. They will lie to me. I am responsible for me. I'm not willling to risk my life on it.

I do know this; men and women drink essentially because they like the effects produced by alcohol. It's fun. For some, it's no big deal. To them, it's like a supplement to food; a mere side dish. It makes me like myself. It makes me 10 foot tall and bullet proof. But only in my mind. It takes a toll on my body, further creating a craving once I start. For me, it's drink to the bitter end or accept help- spiritual help.

Hey, if nothing else... it keeps me from getting a DUI or being at a much higher risk for killing myself and/or others in an automobile.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
For most people, it ain't no big deal. But it's life and death to me. It's taken me 14 to get 5, if you know what I mean. I deserve no special credit for finally living by the rules, but I can be uniquely helpful to a select few who understand.
100% responsibility for myself is the only formula that works. I can't blame my woes on my family, stress, her, him, them, my circumstances, the gov't, my finances, romances, etc.
Yes you do deserve credit because you faced the demon and you are winning today! Each addict no matter what they are addicted to; food, smokes, drink, drugs, sex, gambling, shopping etc has to hit bottom for themselves before any recovery can begin. The only demon I was not able to put down from starting in my youth is smokes and I wish to high heaven I would have never started. Even hearing & seeing from older folks the damages I was told at 18 wouldn't stop me. That is why I feel the drinking age, voting and serving our country should not even be an option for 18yo. We are still growing and learning and thinking nothing will harm us~~~~~nothing.

Just never lose what it took for you get what you got now McGowdog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.