Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S lowering the age limit back to 18 for drinking alcohol?
Yes, lower it to 18! 198 60.92%
No, keep it 21 as it is now 112 34.46%
I don't know/care 15 4.62%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Because at 18, the body is still in the final stages of development, and alcohol causes massive damage to that development.

mmhhmm and tobacco and cheeseburgers are deadly for people with heart disease but does the government tell them what they can and cannot do?

18-20 yr olds are not children so it should be up to them and it is actually since many of them so drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Speaking as someone who turned 21 just a few years ago, I absolutely think the drinking age should be 18. Aside from the principled stand of "if you can die for your country, you can have a beer," it makes sense on a practical level. Essentially it goes like this:

Underage drinking = binge drinking.
Of age drinking = drinking in moderation.

Now, I'm not saying that people over 21 don't get drunk, or people under 21 can't just have a beer while watching the game. I'm also not saying that if we lower the drinking age to 18, college students will put down the Jaagerbombs and start sipping fine wine. However, the psychological impact of "Wow! We got into the bar! Let's get tanked!" is real, and I've seen it. If drinking is legal for 18-year-olds, it will be more of a normal thing and, as such, there will be less of an impulse to do it to the extreme. Bans on vices many times encourage abusing those vices, rather than dabbling in them. Clearly, the latter is preferable.

I recall reading an op-ed some time ago by a college president who favored lowering the drinking age. I wish I could find the link.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Speaking as someone who turned 21 just a few years ago, I absolutely think the drinking age should be 18. Aside from the principled stand of "if you can die for your country, you can have a beer," it makes sense on a practical level. Essentially it goes like this:

Underage drinking = binge drinking.
Of age drinking = drinking in moderation.

Now, I'm not saying that people over 21 don't get drunk, or people under 21 can't just have a beer while watching the game. I'm also not saying that if we lower the drinking age to 18, college students will put down the Jaagerbombs and start sipping fine wine. However, the psychological impact of "Wow! We got into the bar! Let's get tanked!" is real, and I've seen it. If drinking is legal for 18-year-olds, it will be more of a normal thing and, as such, there will be less of an impulse to do it to the extreme. Bans on vices many times encourage abusing those vices, rather than dabbling in them. Clearly, the latter is preferable.

I recall reading an op-ed some time ago by a college president who favored lowering the drinking age. I wish I could find the link.
Is this the article? College presidents seek drinking age debate - Life - MSNBC.com

It is quite a few presidents it turns out.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Is this the article? College presidents seek drinking age debate - Life - MSNBC.com

It is quite a few presidents it turns out.
No, it was at least a year ago - but that link is just as good .

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
There needs to be one age where you are an adult in the eyes of the law, for voting, military service, entering into contracts, and drinking. I do not understand how someone can be an adult for one thing and not for another. If we want to make 21 the age for everything, then let's amend the Constitution and pass the other laws.

The argument about drunk driving is a silly one. The answer isn't to raise the drinking age, but rather to increase the penalties and enforcement for DUI. If we take a zero tolerance policy for first offense DUI, revoke licenses of second offenders, and take a 3 strikes and you go to jail policy, then it will start to make a difference. There are many other steps that can be take to stop DUI at the source. When I was 18, the age was 18 in my state. I didn't do anything any different than when I was 21.

I hate to invoke the Europeans, but they allow kids to drink as young as 16 and have very stiff penalties for DUI. They do not have the same issues as we had/have with DUI.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

338 posts, read 613,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Where did you hear that? Most European countries have a much lower drinking age and a lower alcoholism level.

Kids are taught how to drink responsibly by their parents and alcohol isn't taboo to teens and young adults.

If you can die for your country you can have a beer. Would anybody disagree with that statement?
I 100% agree with you! Thank you, don't need to comment anything

Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
If you can die for your country at 18 years of age you most certainly should be able to imbibe in alcoholic beverages at that same age.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Back in my day, we had this rediculous 3.2 bar law. So you could go to a 3.2 bar and drink this garbage, then when you leave, finish off the night with the good stuff. When I was 16, I had a fake ID that said I was 18 and it worked. When I went to NY City, I was going to [edit] regular bars with my cousin.

There's a couple of issues I'd like to address here as well.

First of all, there are 3 types of drinkers.

A) Social or moderate drinker. He's having a drink; social I. Or the moderate drinker, "I'm feeling a buzz. I don't like this out of control feeling. I think I'll stop." They are weird people. They can drink 1 and a half beers.

B) Hard drinker. They like to get drunk. They can drink with the alky drink for drink. They might binge and die drinking out of a beer bong. They might develop a bad drinking habit while in the services. But given a sufficient reason to stop or moderate their drinking, they do.

C) The real alcoholic. They can't control the amount they drink once they start. They can't stay stopped on their own for any length of time, regardless of the consequences.

Alky's make up about 10% of the population. Some cultures have a very high rate of alcoholism compared to others, but given a long enough length of time the alky's die off and it gets down to 10%. For example, the Jewish and Italian cultures have crushed grapes for 7500 years. They have a very low amount of alcoholism. Many European cultures have been drinking for about 2500 years and they are easing towards that 10%. The Europeans came over to the New World and brought the distilled spirits with them-the hard stuff (Irish and Scottish) and when the Native Americans and Eskimos got a hold of this, they were off and running. They've only been exposed to it for 300 years! They will have a very high rate of alcoholism for some time to come. But in the end, 10% will remain? Why? I don't know. God likes alkys for some reason. (Solomon made references to the alky. I think Noah and Socrates were possibly alkys)

You can't make yourself an alky. You can't make yourself a non-alky. It's like trying to turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

Non alkies can get DUIs. Alkies don't always get DUIs. Some do. Culture may play a part. I don't know.

Now here's another issue. Drugs. Can't get booze, how about weed, speed, Vitamin A, Pharmaceuticals, Meth, etc? What's the worse of two evils?

My parents had a bit of a drinking problem themselves, so they kind of hid it from us. I got smashed at 10. And I was proud of it. I'm sober now for going on 5 years, so I'm the guy who can't "handle" his booze. I wasn't much into drugs compared to alcohol. I took drugs to try to control my alcohol. As bad as alcohol is and the dangers of it, it's a lot more dangerous to be into drugs from a legal standpoint. You've got to buy it. You have to deal with a dealer vs. a bartender or a liquor store clerk. But that doesn't stop these kids, does it?

I don't know what the stats are on fatal car crashes. This might be something to consider. Let 18+ kids drink, but if they do maybe a mandatory breathalyzer thing to start the car until they turn 21 could be in order.

I don't know what's best. I've got me to take care of. Many will become statistics or a big part of the Industry that is Alcoholism. It's the American Way.

Wesside: I didn't vote on the poll yet, so ... I did notice that one of the selections is I don't know/care. I may fit into that category. I was 17 when I graduated high school; 3rd in my class, National Honor Society member for 3 of the 4 years, Gold Cord, yada yada yada... and I almost drank myself to death at least 5 maybe 7 times in my high school years. Who was gonna stop me?

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-19-2008 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: flashforward to wesside: Thousands of years ago, into the future...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Unsurprisingly, out of the 15 people who so far have voted to lower it to the age of 18, only TWO HAVE POSTED!

I think it would be tremendously irresponsible and negligent to lower it to the age of 18 for a thousand reasons. I will name one big reason.

By this standard, 18 year old highschool kids can get alcohol anytime. For those who voted to lower it, think long and hard about this one.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post

By this standard, 18 year old highschool kids can get alcohol anytime. For those who voted to lower it, think long and hard about this one.
I just did. I realized that most 18 year old high school kids can get alcohol anytime anyway. We aren't talking about legalizing burglary here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.