Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times

Advertisements

It appears that New York is one of the most segregated cities based on residential segregation. Here are links to a couple of rankings that shows the most segregated cities for Blacks and the most segregated for Latinos based on residential patterns.

Blacks
Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern

Latinos
Most Segregated Cities For Latinos in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
Orange County Cali (where I live now) is not integrated lol...actually very segregated, almost by town. Southern California is pretty much the same way, lot's of racial tension. But there are some areas that are very integrated, Mission Viejo for example.

Winner is : San Francisco and the Bay Area. This is the most sophisticated and accepting of integration out of all the places I have been to.
Not according to Census Data. Orange County is the most integrated region of the U.S.

Funny how you think SF is well integrated. Rich white people and the homeless. That's integration?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPlayz View Post
Where are you getting that???
Milwaukee is the most segregated city. Detroit is second.

Here are the rankings according to the 2000 US CENSUS.

Top 10 Most Segregated Cities (in order from one to ten):
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
St. Louis
Newark
Cincinnati
Buffalo-Niagara Falls
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
(tie) New Orleans and Kansas City

The 10 Least Segregated Cities (in order from one to ten):
Orange County California
San Jose
Norfolk-Virginia Beach
Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater
San Diego
Providence, Fall River, Warwick
Seattle, Bellevue, Everett
San Antonio
Oakland, CA
San Francisco

googlize it!

I can speak for Chicago and say that the city itself is very diverse, but it certainly isn't integrated. It may seem that way when you're downtown by the Sears Tower, or shoping on N. Michigan Ave. But it certainly doesn't seem integrated in Bronzeville (this country's largest ghetto), or Little India (E. Devon), or Humbolt Park. You can almost drawn ethnic lines on a map. Every little neighborhood has different ethnicities that predominate. My neighborhood is dominated by new African immigrants, Eastern Europens immigrants, and a bunch of young college students.

just fyi
How come "Orange County" is included in a list of *cities*? Aren't they throwing in an apple with a bunch of bananas? What if they compared Milwaukee County instead of Milwaukee, Wayne County instead of Detroit, etc.? I'm guessing the numbers would come out somewhat different. For example, I know most Milwaukee County suburbs are virtually all white. Perhaps the same with Wayne and the other counties in which these cities are located?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
I lived in NYC, only Manhattan is really integrated, the surrounding boroughs are very segregated for the most part.
I would have to disagree. In Manhattan you have Chinatown, which is pretty much all Asian. Then there is a pocket of housing projects on the East River in the LES, overwhelmingly Puerto Rican.

Next you have the rest of manhattan up to E 96th/W 110th. South of those streets is overwhelmingly White. North of E 96th on the East side the area is overwhelmingly Latino. Mostly Puerto Rican and Mexican. PR's control the housing projects then Mexican or PR tenement blocks. Mexicans on the major streets, PR's on the cross streets.

In Central Harlem, area is overwhelmingly Black. Next West Harlem above W 110th, was overwhelmingly Black, now is Dominican (small pocket of Whites south of the housing projects on 125th Street). Then Washington Heights, heavily Dominican.

Take a look for yourself:

Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Yeah,the Houston area seemed to be VERY integrated. Dallas, on the other hand, not so much in my (limited) experience.
I'm shocked Houston was mentioned this late in the thread. Compared to many cities it's size, it's a success story. You can very well live next door to Vietnamese, Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Chinese, etc. etc. all on the same block. It is very diverse and very integrated. You do have a couple hoods that are majority whatever like 3rd ward for Blacks. But those are historical hoods that are being integrated now themselves.

About Chicago. The city is integrated on the Northside. You have all types of people living amonst each other in a very densely populated area. BUT, you have 2 other sides well 1 if you want to get technical lol. And that was already mentioned. And this is why Chicago is said to be segregated. From what I heard though, it was worse a long time ago and is getting better.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
where are ya'll getting your information? I can't seem to find it.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
New York is the more integrated, but LA is more diverse. (but tons of racism in LA)
LA's Hispanic population is approaching 50% of the city. It's diverse, but NYC is untouchable.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:55 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
It appears that New York is one of the most segregated cities based on residential segregation. Here are links to a couple of rankings that shows the most segregated cities for Blacks and the most segregated for Latinos based on residential patterns.

Blacks
Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern

Latinos
Most Segregated Cities For Latinos in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern
New York has changed since 2000.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Houston and San Antonio. Almost all of Texas. Hands down. Unarguably. Black, white, Latino...it doesn't matter. Everybody shares in culture, racial turmoil is unheard of, everybody's friends. Can't remember the last time I experienced such an environment outside of these two cities. And I have been many places.

Now, New York City. In Brooklyn, back in the '60s when they were "busing" in different races to schools, my mother came into contact with all colors of children. Sometimes they were friends, sometimes they weren't. But family that lives there now tells me that it has changed so much.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Houston and San Antonio. Almost all of Texas. Hands down. Unarguably. Black, white, Latino...it doesn't matter. Everybody shares in culture, racial turmoil is unheard of, everybody's friends. Can't remember the last time I experienced such an environment outside of these two cities. And I have been many places.
Houston did have an incredible mix. I would not mind settling there. The mix is really good here, too, but now that I come to think of it, Houston also had the large Vietnamese population, where there are not many Asians here except some Asian Indian and Caribbean Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.