Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 PM

395 posts, read 523,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Finally, it is worth noting that despite common references to "a Bronx accent," or "a Brooklyn accent," no published study has found any feature that varies internally beyond local names. Impressions that the dialect varies geographically may be a byproduct of class and/or ethnic variation.

New York dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contrary to popular belief NYC accents sound the same throughout.

So yea. Use another example.
Wow, Im from the South and even I can tell that New Yorkers dont all sound alike- yet you a native can't tell?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's an even broader brush than that.

Do people from the Bronx sound like people from Boston? Do people from Philly sound like people from Buffalo?
Nobody ever said there was a "northeast" accent....but everyone is saying that there is a southern accent. In the northeast accents vary by state, in the south there all the same.

Show me two different southern accents. A guy from Texas speaks the same way as a guy from North Carolina in my eyes.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Wow, Im from the South and even I can tell that New Yorkers dont all sound alike- yet you a native can't tell?
There is no difference. What are you talking about?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
There is no difference. What are you talking about?
Oh , lol. Im afraid to tell you this but there is! New York accents are so varied- there are so many. NY has 5 boroughs- and there are so many different ones, lol. They even vary neighbord to neighborhood. There is also the Jewish -Italian NY accents too. Not to mention Yiddish.

Maybe you just dont have an ear for accents. I do.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,026 times
In order to tell a difference in accents from the south or parts of the east coast you almost have to live there or be surrounded by it. I just moved to Tennesse and I can't tell any difference between any southern accent..yet, but I know here are differences. I love accents and my husband make fun of the Canadians. When they say " about" But it sounds like they say "a boot
It is just fun and exiting when you talk to somebody with an accent. I lived in WA state for a long time and they have no accent up there. BORING!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 PM

This is MY "accent". I never thought I had one, lol. Most people from the Midwest think Im British or something- but its a Virginia accent- a Northern Virginia one to be exact

YouTube - Burlington Farmer's Market

Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Nobody ever said there was a "northeast" accent....but everyone is saying that there is a southern accent. In the northeast accents vary by state, in the south there all the same.
Goodness. In the South, everyone is pretty aware of the fact that dialects vary by region. Just because you don't know the difference doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Show me two different southern accents. A guy from Texas speaks the same way as a guy from North Carolina in my eyes.
In your eyes. Or your ears. Or whatever. It's clear that you won't be convinced. That's ok. There is a pretty big difference, though.

As I said before, however, those differences are shrinking as the way we ALL speak gets more and more homogenized.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Oh , lol. Im afraid to tell you this but there is! New York accents are so varied- there are so many. NY has 5 boroughs- and there are so many different ones, lol. They even vary neighbord to neighborhood. There is also the Jewish -Italian NY accents too. Not to mention Yiddish.

Maybe you just dont have an ear for accents. I do.
Did you read the Wikipedia piece I pasted?

NYC accent is the same whether it's in the Boogie, BK, Queens or Staten Island.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 PM

For example, Bugs Bunny is said to have had a Bronx accent...

But what sepearates it from somebody who is from Brooklyn? I would like to know.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:

-sigh-

Will you never tire of showing your ignorance? Or in this case are you simply tone-deaf?

My dad can pick up an accent and tell you what COUNTY you are from in NC. He gets it right 8/10. I can hear one and tell if you are from TN, KY, AL, LA, NC,SC or GA.
If my dad and I are able to do that, then what makes you think there is no difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.