Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
It surely does not. But nor is today fifty years ago. Northern Virginia (and by that I am referring only to the parts of the state that are part of the DC metro area) clearly has a history with the South, and retain Southern influences to this day, and probably always will. But there's really no denying that demographically, culturally, and socioeconomically, in the year 2008, Northern Virginia is most similar to the Northeast. That's not to say that it's exactly like, say, New Jersey - like the South, the Northeast has differences within it. But, today, is it more similar to New Jersey than it is to South Carolina? I think so.

I don't really see how any of this negates its entire history. Places and identities change and develop. Take, say, Texas. Texas was once a part of Mexico. Today it is a part of the United States, as it has been for over 150 years. So, clearly, Texas is very much "American," however, it has always retained strong Mexican influences, as opposed to Iowa or Pennsylvania, which have historically had little or nothing to do with Mexico.

Clearly, that analogy isn't perfect - the US and Mexico are much more clearly defined entities than the Northeast and the South - but my point is that to say that Northern Virginia is more a part of the Northeast today does not "negate the entire history" of the area.

And, finally, reasonable people can disagree about this, which is why we're discussing it .
I think we are referring to the same area.

I just pointed out that 61 percent of U.S. born Northern Virginians are from the South. I don't see how that demographically indicates Northern Virginia is part of any cultural/demographic region but the South. I think you are holding on to stereotypical criteria of what makes people from the South southern. Southern accents are the only attribute of Southern people. Some Southern people lose their accents for various reasons.

What criteria are you using to compare Northern Virginia to New Jersey? With the criteria I assume you're using (heavily congested, expensive, fast-paced, large immigrant population, unpersonable people), what's to stop us from comparing Northern Virginia to many major metro areas in various part of the country? As you said, this is 2008. I used 50 years ago as a historic reference point. You're still holding on to 50 year old stereotypes of "Southerness" which, for better or worse, are quickly dissapating.

The identity of places may change, but the actual place doesn't. If a bunch of Americans move to Cuba, is Cuba suddenly part of the United States? If an owner puts a duck suit on their dog, is the dog now a duck? No. The South will always be the South. These idea of what have culturally/historically been traits of different regions of the country are fading quickly. We still can't forget the Southern-based history that played a huge role in making Virginia what it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I think we are referring to the same area.

I just pointed out that 61 percent of U.S. born Northern Virginians are from the South. I don't see how that demographically indicates Northern Virginia is part of any cultural/demographic region but the South. I think you are holding on to stereotypical criteria of what makes people from the South southern. Southern accents are the only attribute of Southern people. Some Southern people lose their accents for various reasons.

What criteria are you using to compare Northern Virginia to New Jersey? With the criteria I assume you're using (heavily congested, expensive, fast-paced, large immigrant population, unpersonable people), what's to stop us from comparing Northern Virginia to many major metro areas in various part of the country? As you said, this is 2008. I used 50 years ago as a historic reference point. You're still holding on to 50 year old stereotypes of "Southerness" which, for better or worse, are quickly dissapating.

The identity of places may change, but the actual place doesn't. If a bunch of Americans move to Cuba, is Cuba suddenly part of the United States? If an owner puts a duck suit on their dog, is the dog now a duck? No. The South will always be the South. These idea of what have culturally/historically been traits of different regions of the country are fading quickly. We still can't forget the Southern-based history that played a huge role in making Virginia what it is today.
OK - perhaps I was off a bit on my demographics. We can argue about this ad nauseam - I really just wanted to point out that saying it's the Northeast doesn't negate it's entire history. That's all.

I would like to point out, however, that at no point did make any reference to stereotypes of "Southerness" or whether those notions were current, or outdated, or anything. I was basing my assessment on the immigrant population, politics, the fact that many peoople in NoVA commute to DC....it didn't have anything to do with old notions of Southernness, which I may or may not be holding on to.

Anyway, before this gets out of hand, let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 AM

395 posts, read 523,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
It surely does not. But nor is today fifty years ago. Northern Virginia (and by that I am referring only to the parts of the state that are part of the DC metro area) clearly has a history with the South, and retain Southern influences to this day, and probably always will. But there's really no denying that demographically, culturally, and socioeconomically, in the year 2008, Northern Virginia is most similar to the Northeast. That's not to say that it's exactly like, say, New Jersey - like the South, the Northeast has differences within it. But, today, is it more similar to New Jersey than it is to South Carolina? I think so.

I don't really see how any of this negates its entire history. Places and identities change and develop. Take, say, Texas. Texas was once a part of Mexico. Today it is a part of the United States, as it has been for over 150 years. So, clearly, Texas is very much "American," however, it has always retained strong Mexican influences, as opposed to Iowa or Pennsylvania, which have historically had little or nothing to do with Mexico.

Clearly, that analogy isn't perfect - the US and Mexico are much more clearly defined entities than the Northeast and the South - but my point is that to say that Northern Virginia is more a part of the Northeast today does not "negate the entire history" of the area.

And, finally, reasonable people can disagree about this, which is why we're discussing it .
Woah! Nova is NOthing like NJ. It may have more Northern elements in it, but its nothing like there. I have been to the Northeast- NJ, PA, Upstate New York. NOVA and DC were actually part of the Sunbelt.

Granted the traffic is horrid, but thats aboot it. NOVA is more akin to Metro Atlanta or Charlotte.

Does NJ have fox hunting like NOVA does on old plantations?

I do agree that NOVA is not the same as it was 50 years ago.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,723 times
I'm from VA and it's always been considered the South, unless you consider it Mid-Atlantic. I moved to Atlanta and nobody down there considered VA the South. I think these days, it's becoming more and more Mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I'm from VA and it's always been considered the South, unless you consider it Mid-Atlantic. I moved to Atlanta and nobody down there considered VA the South. I think these days, it's becoming more and more Mid-Atlantic.
Do they think its North? I went on a tour of the Margaret Mitchell home in Atlanta- the tour guide from Savannah, GA commented on my "southern" accent said she liked it. So I said I was from Richmond, VA- expecting her to think that was up North- she said it was nice to meet a fellow Southerner. I guess Atlanta has so many Yankees, lol

Old 09-20-2008, 03:19 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times
Quote:
Ok man, who did you talk to? People in Atlanta are smarter than that.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Ok man, who did you talk to? People in Atlanta are smarter than that.
I've heard similar stories

There was a guy I knew from Hampden-Sydney College- a VERY Southern Mens college here in Virginia. He moved to Atlanta after his Sr. year and these 2 Georgia girls in Atlanta were calling him "Yankee" and he told me they were saying "lets show this yankee boy how we do it down South". Hes siad he couldn't help be a little offended by that, but he went along with it

Like his family was native Virginan, so I guess they really do consider us Yankes up here, lol

Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Do they think its North? I went on a tour of the Margaret Mitchell home in Atlanta- the tour guide from Savannah, GA commented on my "southern" accent said she liked it. So I said I was from Richmond, VA- expecting her to think that was up North- she said it was nice to meet a fellow Southerner. I guess Atlanta has so many Yankees, lol
Yeah, I worked at a coffee shop at CNN (years ago) and I'd tell people I was from Virginia and they'd say "Oh, I went to college in New York!", like they were close. I guess it's a lot closer to NY than Atlanta, but still...

Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I worked at a coffee shop at CNN (years ago) and I'd tell people I was from Virginia and they'd say "Oh, I went to college in New York!", like they were close. I guess it's a lot closer to NY than Atlanta, but still...
Actually its halfway. Richmond is 7.5 hours from Atlanta 7 hours from NY- well anyways I felt Richmond was closer to Atlanta. Dont forget Atlanta is Southwest of Richmond, not just directly South...

I just feel Richmond connects everything South. North of Richmond its hard to say- it could go either way.
And ironically, Richmond is um, simply mo' Southern than Atlanta, lol.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Actually its halfway. Richmond is 7.5 hours from Atlanta 7 hours from NY- well anyways I felt Richmond was closer to Atlanta. Dont forget Atlanta is Southwest of Richmond, not just directly South...

I just feel Richmond connects everything South. North of Richmond its hard to say- it could go either way.
And ironically, Richmond is um, simply mo' Southern than Atlanta, lol.
By my driving, it's more like 9 hours to Atlanta, 6 to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.