Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 AM

187 posts, read 524,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You do know some of the cities you've listed are smaller than DFW, eh?
Yes I do realize, and yet they're superior to Dallas in both shopping and dining. Which is why Dallas as #1 is preposterous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
what????? you don't make sense
Have you travelled outside the Sunbelt? anulinale is pointing out the dif between Sunbelt & non-sunbelt cities. Most of the areas within the limits of places like Houston is post-WWII development; most in non-Sunbelt cities have a prepondrance of pre-WWII development. It's pretty hard to plop down a mall on developed land, thus non-Sunbelt malls are mostly located in the burbs.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:00 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Have you travelled outside the Sunbelt? anulinale is pointing out the dif between Sunbelt & non-sunbelt cities. Most of the areas within the limits of places like Houston is post-WWII development; most in non-Sunbelt cities have a prepondrance of pre-WWII development. It's pretty hard to plop down a mall on developed land, thus non-Sunbelt malls are mostly located in the burbs.
Have you ever been to Houston?? There are no malls within the inner loop. There are shopping districts, but no malls.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM

294 posts, read 782,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Yes I do realize, and yet they're superior to Dallas in both shopping and dining. Which is why Dallas as #1 is preposterous.
I am originally from the 'high and mighty' Northeast and visited Dallas several times in the last few month and, for the life of me I cannot figure out why folks bash Texas cities so much??? Dallas, contrary to what a few so-called urbanites profess found mainly on these boards, has good urbanity and excellent shopping and a lot going for it. It's true, shopping in Dallas is very, very good.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Have you ever been to Houston?? There are no malls within the inner loop. There are shopping districts, but no malls.
But the outer loop is also Houston city limits and that's what makes up most of the city of Houston. it just proves the fact that the outer loop is nothing but suburban territory. Both of you are actually stating a fact.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
I am originally from the 'high and mighty' Northeast and visited Dallas several times in the last few month and, for the life of me I cannot figure out why folks bash Texas cities so much??? Dallas, contrary to what a few so-called urbanites profess found mainly on these boards, has good urbanity and excellent shopping and a lot going for it. It's true, shopping in Dallas is very, very good.
Yes, and about 95% of them have never been here. Some people can't bring themselves to give Texas cities a break on anything simply because they're in Texas, which I'm starting to think is one of the most misunderstood states in the country. It's unfair, but I'm getting over it and learning to choose my battles here on C-D.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Have you ever traveled to the Sunbelt?? We have malls and shopping districts within our city limits.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Milwaukee. It may well be the biggest city in the country without a Nordstrom. They were the last city in Wisconsin to get retailers like Borders, Cost Plus, Costco, Whole Foods, even Petsmart. They all had stores in smaller cities like Madison, Appleton and even Eau Claire before finally opening a Milwaukee location. Not all of these stores are in all these cities, but Milwaukee has always been among the last large cities in the country in landing major retailers, particularly those that could be considered a bit higher end.
I've always heard the reason for this is Milwaukee's very close proximity to Chicago. If you live in the southern suburbs, you can be shopping in metro Chicago within half an hour.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Have you ever traveled to the Sunbelt?? We have malls and shopping districts within our city limits.
That's what he's talking about. Personally, most urban enthusiasts hate malls and I do as well. Leave those to the suburbs. But the best shopping districts are street front stores. That's me though

Old 10-05-2008, 08:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But the outer loop is also Houston city limits and that's what makes up most of the city of Houston. it just proves the fact that the outer loop is nothing but suburban territory. Both of you are actually stating a fact.
I don't see how that makes Houston any different from other cities. When i was in New York City I went to a mall in Manhattan. It was across the street from Central Park. So apparently sun-belt cities are not the only ones with malls within the city limits and it doesn't prove that Houston is suburban territory outside the loop. Uptown Houston is outside the loop and it is very urban. Greenspoint, Sharpstown, and Westchase are outside the loop and they are very urban. When I think of the suburbs i think of The Woodlands, Sugarland, Katy, and Pearland. They are definitely not in the city limits but those places are where the malls are at (at least the thriving ones). The Galleria mall in Uptown reminded me alot of the mall I went to in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.