Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:49 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,659 times

Advertisements

I used to live in downtown Kansas City, and while some may not think of it as a great place to walk everywhere, I could pretty much get everything except some groceries living there. My work was just a couple blocks away, I had a choice of several bars that I could see just out my window, it was great.

Now I don't mind paying more to live in a place where I can walk to most places and use my car only occasionally, that would be fine, but I don't want it to be outrageous.

From my view, the places that seem to be the least expensive are in the midwest, but not sure if anyone can suggest any good midwest cities that are walkable?

The catch is, I am looking for a townhouse or even a small house that has some what of a yard. That is the reason I don't live downtown now is because I have 2 dogs, and while I wouldn't mind just taking them out for a walk a couple times a day, my girlfriend insist they need at least some what of a yard to run around a bit (a 15 ft by 15 ft area would be enough probably)

So, anyone have any suggestions? Walkable city where it's possible to get a house/yard and not have to use the car to much. I'd prefer an area with light rail or some good form of transportation. Unfortunately it seems places like Boston that may have this just seem very expensive, but of course i'm used to low cost of living in the midwest.

We are a young couple in our 20s so definitely would want to have a lot of places to go, and we still are completing school, our combined income is $65k a year, which isn't to bad in the midwest, we could get a house around here for probably 200k and it'd be no big deal, we currently have zero debt too besides our utilities, we own our cars, etc. No major amounts on any credit cards, no student loans (we have been directly paying for school but that will change once we find a place). When looking i'm trying to take into consideration if the area pays more for our line of work then what we do now, so while it could be a bit more expensive, as long as the pay somewhat keeps up it'd be cool.

I appreciate any suggestions, links, whatever. Thank you.

EDIT: Just to add, KC isn't an option, there are no houses downtown/midtown/plaza (well not that we could afford mostly in those areas), tons of sprawl, light rail is 5-8 years away from being implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,291 times
Portland, Oregon is a good city for walking and biking.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM

96 posts, read 616,506 times
I think Boston is considered to be America's most walkable city.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Sprawl was able to take off in the U.S. because the mile is a large unit, unsuitable for walking but suitable for driving. If it was in kilometers, people would be aware of the true cost of their commutes. I can't believe some people are trying to live in exburbs now. That 60 mile one-way trip to work is close by? How about 100 km and climbing?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Cincinnati's northern Kentucky suburbs of Newport and Covington probably has what you are looking for. They are right across the river from downtown.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Sprawl was able to take off in the U.S. because the mile is a large unit, unsuitable for walking but suitable for driving. If it was in kilometers, people would be aware of the true cost of their commutes. I can't believe some people are trying to live in exburbs now. That 60 mile one-way trip to work is close by? How about 100 km and climbing?
I'm currently driving 45 miles to work 1 way. 5 days a week, for a job that I could do from home. Hope I find something else soon. Unfortunately sprawl has hit KC so bad many of the companies in the IT industry are in the burbs, in the middle no of where.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
so A good walkable city, where you can have a yard, a sort of spacious house, and public transportation?

Cities that come to Mind are Boston, Chicago, and multiple eastern cities

Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Boston: America's Walking City

Old 05-31-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Cincinnati's northern Kentucky suburbs of Newport and Covington probably has what you are looking for. They are right across the river from downtown.

I would have never thought of those cities. Definitely put them down for consideration.

Also, while I'd like good public transportation, if an area is very walkable and a nice community with lots of things to do, I would still consider it even if lacked rail or anything else like that.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:45 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
Minneapolis sprawls, but the City proper is perfectly walkable. 1/5 people in Mpls. do not own a car. There are some of the nation's highest rates of bike commuting here. The bus system is extensive and is augmented by a light rail line (soon to be two). For $200,000 your house would be small or in an area that is sketchy (for Mpls.). You could def. find a small yard within a couple miles of downtown and that is close to a good busline. We are more expensive the Kansas City, but the City is nowhere near the price of Boston or San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.