Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has been offered a job onshore drilling with a starting salary of $80k and im trying to get into the medical field now. The aviation industry is not what it once was.

He would be working in Grand Junction, CO. Though i've heard the cost of living there would be high. I think we may live in Wyoming. Not sure yet though i hope i can adjust to life there. Who knows will I prefer it to here?

If I get into nursing or something like that im hoping i can transfer my skills over to the states too.

I wonder if $80k is good for one person to have a good quality of life. It was a friend of mine that gave him the offer though his wife is a nurse and she earns $55,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Hi,
Two things: 1) there is a Colorado forum on this site where you can post questions on relocation and most people there are extremely helpful with constructive information and 2) $80K is pretty good for living on in Grand Junction altho it is a little more pricey than most places in Colorado.Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed You may also want to look into your nursing certification and see if you'll need to take additional classes or tests when you get to the US to ensure you can work here. Do you both have work visas already?

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:38 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Hi,
Two things: 1) there is a Colorado forum on this site where you can post questions on relocation and most people there are extremely helpful with constructive information and 2) $80K is pretty good for living on in Grand Junction altho it is a little more pricey than most places in Colorado. Check out Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed for more details. You may also want to look into your nursing certification and see if you'll need to take additional classes or tests when you get to the US to ensure you can work here. Do you both have work visas already?
My boyfriend is a US citizen but he's going over there first to establish himself and we're going to get married. (no other option) I want to study nursing. I have posted in the CO forum but i just wanted to let people here know aswell as I know some.

I know he will be working 7 on 7 off im sure we could live in WY or somewhere cheaper?

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:38 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
My boyfriend is a US citizen but he's going over there first to establish himself and we're going to get married. (no other option) I want to study nursing. I have posted in the CO forum but i just wanted to let people here know aswell as I know some.

I know he will be working 7 on 7 off im sure we could live in WY or somewhere cheaper?
He wants to live in WY and work in Colorado? I'm guessing Grand Junction is near the Wyoming border?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:09 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

Look at getting a fiance visa and start the process now. It can take a lot longer then getting a visa to go to the UK.

$55k is not a bad wage for sure. Even in CO. I can not stress this enough... GO THERE FIRST. You really need to spend time in a place. I would rather make less money and live somewhere that fits then a lot of money somewhere I fell trapped. Trust me, moving abroad is a major major life changing event. You will love it, you will hate it. I will be home. I will never be home. You will go through so many emotions over and over.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Raggy, he would have to drive 4 hours once a week and stay on site but it doesn't bother him

Butterfly: I will go over there and see but since he's had no luck here this is for sure an opportunity of a lifetime. I am going to university to study nursing because i want to have a proper career and hopefully use it when i go to live in the US.

So we'd be earning a combined income of $130,000 approx. Could we have a good life? I would NOT be earning that here

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
He wants to live in WY and work in Colorado? I'm guessing Grand Junction is near the Wyoming border?
Gods no! Grand Junction is about 200 miles/3 hours from the Wyoming border! It's closer to Utah which is about 45 miles away due West. GJ is surrounded by quite a few small mountain towns where property might be cheaper. But, as another poster said, the best thing is to go out there, rent a place and live there for a few months before deciding on anything permanent.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Gods no! Grand Junction is about 200 miles/3 hours from the Wyoming border! It's closer to Utah which is about 45 miles away due West. GJ is surrounded by quite a few small mountain towns where property might be cheaper. But, as another poster said, the best thing is to go out there, rent a place and live there for a few months before deciding on anything permanent.
Thanks for the heads up. Isn't WY cheaper to live than CO? It looks kinda the same to me.

Is $130,000 a good combined income?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 PM

It might be cheaper but the real question is should you live in Wyoming? Whilst I don't know anything about your preferred lifestyle there are quite a few differences between the two states, other than cost of living. For one thing, Wyoming is very much a republican state whilst Colorado is a mixture of all political viewpoints - I think GJ is mostly republican. Colorado has mountains and forests pretty much covering the Western slope (where GJ is), Wyoming has mountains but really only in the northwest corner. The rest of the state is very bleak and the wind blows a lot all year round. The temperatures in Wyoming can also seem much more extreme than CO. Cheyenne gets more than double GJ's average snowfall.

If you lived in a city like Cheyenne, you might be in a pretty good place. It's larger than GJ and close to other cities like Fort Collins and I think it has a fairly cosmopolitan reputation. But its unemployment rate is almost double that of GJ and its job growth rate almost half as much. Property is cheaper in Cheyenne but property appreciation has dropped considerably. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Also have a look at each city's chamber of commerce website as they may give you a good idea of what the area has to offer.

And yes, $130,000 is a good combined income.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:37 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 12:36 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
200 miles isn't so bad if you have to do it twice every other week. I did the same thing for 5 months driving between Austin and Dallas/FW a few times a month.

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 10-21-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.