Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM

142 posts, read 212,311 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow, Daylight saving time ends in Europe and nov 2 in the U.S. & Canada. What does it really mean with changing the time back 1 hour?

Does the daylight extend an hour or an hour less? Does it makes the afternoon longer or what? Plz explain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
It's fallback time, so we lose an hour of daylight. The reason for daylight savings time originally, was to have it stay lighter longer in the warmer months to save on electricity. The problem with that reasoning for us out west and southwest, it's super hot in the summer, so we spend more on electricity, running our air conditioning 24/7.
I wish they'd just do away with it and go back to normal, whatever that is.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I think at the end of February, we ought to skip March and go right to April 1. Then in the fall, after September 30, repeat September again. If it works to do it with an hour, why not do it with a whole month.

We could also shorten the winter months to 20 days, and make summer months with 40 days. That would help a lot too.

If you think those are laughable ideas, try to convince me that DST really gives an additional hour of daylight. These days with long commuting times, all that happens is that people in the summer have to get up in the dark and leave for work in the dark---what's the good of "daylight wasting time" to do that in the dark every morning? If employers want to give their workers an extra hour in the evening, why don't they just tell them to come in an hour earlier in the morning, instead of messing with the clocks?

The origin of DST was during WWII, when the Japanese flew bombers over here intending to bomb us in the dark, and arrived to discover that we had reset our clocks, and it was still light here because of DST and they couldn't sneak up on us, so they just said "Rats, foiled again" and turned around and flew back to Japan.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's fallback time, so we lose an hour of daylight. The reason for daylight savings time originally, was to have it stay lighter longer in the warmer months to save on electricity. The problem with that reasoning for us out west and southwest, it's super hot in the summer, so we spend more on electricity, running our air conditioning 24/7.
I wish they'd just do away with it and go back to normal, whatever that is.
Well.......no one actually gains or loses any light. We just shift the clock forward an hour in the summer. It was thought way back when that if you shifted the time forward, the daylight would end later in the evening and you would save money on candles since you'd have to use them an hour less concidering you were functioning on the same schedule as before. It was enacted all over the world for one reason or another since then. Many times have been because of war, and most of the world was on Daylight Savings by the time WWI was finished in 1918.

You go to bed at 11pm. In one scenario it gets dark at 8pm, the other it gets dark at 9pm. You save an hour of using artificial light.

Daylight savings certainly doesn't ADD or SUBTRACT hours or daylight from our lives. How would that possibly happen!?!? We're just shifting the time so in summer months the sun goes down an hour later and rises and hour earlier.

One of the main reasons we don't just use Daylight Savings all year-round and push back sunset is because many groups don't want children going to school in the dark if Daylight was still being used in winter when we naturally have the least amount of light. I know in Chicago the latest it gets light is around 7:20am. That would be 8:20am if Daylight were used all year.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-26-2008 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
[quote=jtur88
The origin of DST was during WWII, when the Japanese flew bombers over here intending to bomb us in the dark, and arrived to discover that we had reset our clocks, and it was still light here because of DST and they couldn't sneak up on us, so they just said "Rats, foiled again" and turned around and flew back to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Haha....the thing is you know there's people out there who believe stuff like that!!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:

... you would save money on candles ...
Well, not candles, but electricity.

DST began in Europe in 1916, parts of Canada and Australia, and eventually in 1918 in the U.S., during World War I, to conserve fuel used to produce electricity by contriving to have an hour more of daylight at the "end" of the day during spring and summer.

This is an interesting article, with more facts than I thought there were to know about daylight saving time!
History & info - Daylight Saving Time, early adoption, U.S. law

Last edited by allforcats; 10-26-2008 at 12:31 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Some people actually gain an hour of daylight from daylight savings. Those who work in certain fields, instead of going to their car in the dark , the extra hour helps them drive home while it's still light. It's especially helpful, since the car in question is parked in a not so great area all day long into the evening.

As for going to bed at 11p.m., yes, i did that as a kid, but now I go to bed at 3am most nights. Blame city-data and pogo.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
I wish New Mexico was like Arizona, because they dont **** with their clocks in Arizona!
Honestly, i think its retarted.. keep it the same.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha....the thing is you know there's people out there who believe stuff like that!!
As I recall (I'm not sure), during WWII, the west coast went on double DST, setting their clocks ahead two hours. So spotters could see the *** Zeroes incoming.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Tomorrow, Daylight saving time ends in Europe and nov 2 in the U.S. & Canada. What does it really mean with changing the time back 1 hour?

Does the daylight extend an hour or an hour less? Does it makes the afternoon longer or what? Plz explain
That means sunset will come earlier in the day. So if the sun sets at 5:45 on Saturday, November 1st, it will set at 4:45 on Sunday, November 2nd.

However, on a positive note, that means the sun will rise an hour earlier. Right now, I hate waking everybody up 45 minutes before dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.