Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 AM

23,441 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post
Phoenix is the 5th largest metropolitan city in the nation. It boasts all five major sports teams. It tends to not have a big history as it was not seriously a map mark until the 70s. What I would like to know is what do you, the person who has not lived here, think when you think Phoenix. What type of sterio type is my city bassed on? Did you know Phoenix had 4.8 million people? What is the signature food you think about when you think of Phoenix? When you think of big cities where does Phoenix place with you? Do you think we all wear cowboy hats? Go ahead and just be honest and describe my town the way you see it. I want to get the national perspective and reattach the thread in my city forum so others can really see what Phoenix appears to be to the rest of the country.
It is the 5th largest city in the US, and the 13th largest MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area). It's also a nice city IMO...beautiful desert surroundings, modern, clean (at least the areas that I have frequented) and increasingly cosmopolitan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
Wow. That's brutal JD. It has to have some good points, doesn't it??

Personally I've been there once and didn't like it.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I am afraid the outside world does not have a very favorable opinion of Phoenix. This article is from another forum.

This the real Phoenix
Phoenix is well compared as a larger version of Fresno or maybe even a little tinge of El Paso you know a big dry dusty flavorless giant suburb of tile rooftops with rocks and dirt. A stucco and concrete jungle. A large portion of it run down and riddled with illegals. A cultureless expanse of transplants with no sense of community. A sprawling generic cookie cutter village of endless redundance. All you see is the same shopping center and master planned community over and over again. Its a colorless empty ghost town with very little to do at all. It's a work and go home type of place that is monotonous and grinding. It's a lifeless pointless meaningless nowhere land. This place was better off being left as a cotton field. They had no business breaking the ground in order to put up their featureless architectually void dull drab developements sprawling for ridiculous distances in all directions. Phoenix is Bedroom Community dependant and freeway lacking. It reeks of John F. Longs slums.It is landlocked by Indian reservations. It is one big giant FOR SALE SIGN! wich is really an SOS flag for all the homes sinking into foreclosure and cluttering the landscape with abandoned houses over ran with weeds and broken windows. Can't you see that to most people Phoenix is just a stepping stone for transplants who hold their real loyalty to their hometown. Why do you think that theres no sense of community here.
Clueless - Utter and complete BS - Listen, people vote with their feet, and I do not believe there would be 4.1 million + people here if that was the case.

Houses abandoned (weeds, broken windows) - think Rustbelt (Cleveland).

Freeway Lacking? Hardly. Light-rail begins the end of this year as well.

Just rocks and dirt? Well, it's a desert, but no grass in Phoenix? Why do you think outsiders are always *****ing about the water use?

A large portion of it run down? How is that possible with all of the new building?

If it is such a stepping stone, why did another poster state that Phoenix has very few high-income jobs or smart people? In fact, Phoenix is actually one of the top cities for the number of younger workers now earning over $250,000. Stepping stone perhaps, but when their roots (family) are moving to the Valley as well, where is there to go home to?

Some people who like to comment have never actually spent any significant time in Phoenix. To all the clueless, Phoenix developed at a much later time than many other cities, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. I don't understand why other people get so bent out of shape because Phoenix doesn't look like their city. Why make it an issue and why is it so important? Phoenix is still a young enough city where it is not locked into the mindset of the way it will grow, which is reversing and moving more inward now - it's already starting with new condo projects and mixed-use developments in downtown Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, Biltmore District...

Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
The word you're looking for is "Under-rated."

Quote:
Phoenix is the 5th largest metropolitan city in the nation.
13th largest metro area. 5th largest municipality.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM

178 posts, read 480,652 times
Never claimed to be a good speller or have good gramar. Perhaps that will add to the Phoenix people are dumb steriotype. LOL

Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Actually the 2007 Census population estimate for the Phoenix MSA is 4,179,427. That's a big difference from 4.8 million.

I've found Phoenix to be rather dull. For a city that size, it's uninspiring and drab, and it's summer heat is oppressive, dry or not.
I was talking about the difference between PHX's population and MSA population.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Never claimed to be a good speller or have good gramar. Perhaps that will add to the Phoenix people are dumb steriotype. LOL
Well, they do have the worst schools in the nation.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
View Scottsdale as the epicenter of Phx, much like BevHills is epicenter of LA region...

Phx is simply a much younger, smaller, more desert-like, cheaper version of LA, w/o the media and entertainment industry....or a more populated version of LV w/o the gaming and entertainment industry...

Scottsdale has many good restaurants, hotels (esp Phoenician)...many talented young women from ASU...popular winter wkend home for those w/bucks from Chic....

Phx region economy is much like that of Dall/Hou/Atl....a lower-cost place for back-office operations of companies...so lots of low-wage, low-skill jobs; very few high-income jobs or smart people....Phx becomes esp gruesome once one leaves Scottsdale area (sort of like how LA quickly degenerates outside Westside)....the foreclosure ethos is similar to that of LV, LA's inland valleys, FL, CA's CentralValley, etc....
So let me see if I've got this straight:
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix is it under raited? If you have never been here what do you think?-hsw-1.jpg  

Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
my opinion of Phoenix:

1. Very hot
2. Cleaner than most cities
3. Never rains

When I rank it with other cities I would place it rather low. I just don't hear much about what the city has to offer for tourist. It seems like a great place to live but not so much to visit unless your going to rehab. But i'm sure if I lived there I would know more about it and realize that it has just as much to offer as most cities in the world.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So let me see if I've got this straight:
If I could rep I would, god damn that was funny b/c it was so spot on!!
You're lucky you don't have to read his gibberish in the SF Forum, he even dismisses other nice, wealthy parts of the Bay Area as "podunk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.