Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,397 times

Advertisements

Not saying it is definitively the West/Southwest either....it is definitely a region unto itself. I will do this by pointing to the several essential elements of what we think of by "Southern" and show that Texas lacks several of these characteristics.

Texas Contributes more to the federal coffers than it receives in federal funds. For all southern states the reverse is true.

• This chart says it all:
Texas does not suffer from poor healthcare like other states and is more in line with northeast/west coast states on key health statistics, notably loss of natural teeth, which is a very serious problem in the South.

• As you see, Texas is in the top 10 best states for health of teeth:
  • Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Texas has more Fortune 500 companies than any other state - it outstrips the other big states like New York and California. Houston is second only to New York City in headquarters. No southern state has this diversified, robust, and large of an economy.

• Pretty self-explanatory. Texas is a destination for CEOs, scientists, and other highly educated workers to a far greater degree than "Southern" states.
Texas Follows the pattern of West Coast states of big, liberal cities and conservative rural/suburb areas. States like Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, do not follow this trend as strongly.

Texas is a middle income state. Southern states, with the notable exception of Georgia, are all very low income states and are below Texas. While Georgia is an outlier, this supports the general trend of Texas not conforming to southern traits. Georgia is explainable by Atlanta, which has a very disproportionate share of the state's population.

Texas differs wildly in demographics from the south, both in terms of religious adherence and in ethnicity. Most of the south is Baptist, while the metro areas of Texas are not, and south and much of west Texas is Catholic. Texas as a whole is Catholic, unlike all the southern states which are Baptist, and this makes Texas more like the Southwestern states. The ethnicity map speaks for itself; while parts have commonality with the south, most of the state is much different.

Again, I am not saying that Texas is midwest, Southwest, or West. Just that it is *not* the south in any meaningful sense. It does have commonality with certain aspects in certain places, but no more than other regions.

Hope you enjoyed the lesson

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
well It really depends on what area... its not like Hard Core southern like Georgia...but we like Chicken Fried steak.
I heard this one New Englander complain about how she doesn't like Southern food, and how she likes Pasta...and her Husband from here...
So we are and we arn't...it hard to categorize us...

Old 11-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Exactly. Impossible to categorize.

But if Texas was the south, it has the most progressive cities hands down. Dallas and Austin? Nowhere in the south compares...Atlanta is mostly blacks who are not socially liberal, while Dallas and Houston and Austin are very progressive and gay friendly, more so than L.A. imo.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:30 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Exactly. Impossible to categorize.

But if Texas was the south, it has the most progressive cities hands down. Dallas and Austin? Nowhere in the south compares...Atlanta is mostly blacks who are not socially liberal, while Dallas and Houston and Austin are very progressive and gay friendly, more so than L.A. imo.
Just as Atlanta's (and DC's) blacks are, NYC, Philly, Boston, B-More, and DC's non-blacks aren't socially accepting. Along with that, I would assume that (from what I've heard) for Austin and Houston, I wouldn't be treated spitefully, looked at as a criminal/thieve/welfare bum, or turned down by women because of my skin color. That's good enough for me not to see Texas as part of the (historical) South

Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
All I can say is "It's just Texas"

Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Just as Atlanta's (and DC's) blacks are, NYC, Philly, Boston, B-More, and DC's non-blacks aren't socially accepting. Along with that, I would assume that (from what I've heard) for Austin and Houston, I wouldn't be treated spitefully, looked at as a criminal/thieve/welfare bum, or turned down by women because of my skin color. That's good enough for me not to see Texas as part of the (historical) South
Exactly. They're non-judgmental about race.

Now if you were in a hick part of the state, you might have trouble...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Another 'flame the south' thread...boooooorrrriiiiinnnng.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Considering that Texas is closer to the Equator than North Dakota, I'd classify it as a southern state.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 AM

How is it "flaming the South?" I used hard data to distinguish Texas demographically and economically from the region known as the American South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Another 'flame the south' thread...boooooorrrriiiiinnnng.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Cool! I didn't knwo New Mexico and Arizona and California are in the South!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Considering that Texas is closer to the Equator than North Dakota, I'd classify it as a southern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.