Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Why does it have to be world class? Can't it just be fun and enjoyable? I've seen plenty of good theater in a place like Billings, Montana. You all are too funny
Because that is what I like. I am also a social outgoing person who enjoys a wide variety of activities, I want my options to range from award winning theater, an afternoon eating middle-eastern food and shopping in the Indian and Pakistani neighborhood to my north, going for a walk and seeing my neighborhood out on the street, to being able to watch film from around the world in the theater, being able to to the park downtown and listen to nationally known artists like Sting and Tori Amos (both of whom I've seen play for free in the park) and knowing that in a city of 3 million people, if I'm bored with nothing to do, it is my fault, and I'm rarely bored. I don't feel stifled one bit by places like New York (I love visiting there) and Boston (where I have some family). In fact, I love architecture and design and thrive being surrounded by it, I am simply not going to find that in a small town. That doesn't mean I have anything against those who thrive in those environments. I understand that everyone has chosen different lifestyles and feel more comfortable in different environments, surely you must understand that too. I'm not knocking those who chose to live in more rural environments, why are you knocking those of us who chose not to, because like you, we know ourselves and know the sorts of places that would not work? Just because you don't understand why someone would chose to live where they do doesn't make them suspect.

Last edited by j33; 03-01-2007 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It's very encouraging to see that others agree that places like Alabama have potential. If you have a storefront of course you want to be in a big city full of big spenders. But manufacturing, and internet based businesses would benefit from lower startup expenses, and available employees. I know of several businesses, from engineering firms to low paying call centers who are leaving south Florida due to high rent or property taxes. Alabama is one of the destinations for these companies, and one of out hardware suppliers is based in Huntsville. Being in LA or SF or NYC would be an expensive mistake. High margin businesses like fashion or finance, where image is more important than substance, benefit from a world-class city like NYC. Oh and yes, it's got the best transportation and buildings of any city I have seen. But living there would be too limiting for a freedom-minded person like myself. I don't want to support an established system as much as create a new one. In my industry all you need is access to transportation, communications and energy. This would be a lot better in a rural campus-type facility than in an established city with it's long-term problems. I would also feel bad about workers having to struggle to pay thousands a month to live in some well-used big city apartment. If less salary buys more, it helps cut my expenses. If my associates are happy, what else can you ask for?

I don't want to change someone's little town, but add to their future success. Expensive cities don't need any more help, they are too wealthy already. The internet is the great equalizer.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
There are big-city folks like me and there small-town dudes like you and that's what makes America and the world great- diversity and variety!

Some like the huntin'-n'-fishin', the bbq and the church; some like the museums and the skyscrapers and the energy of the metropolis.

I love New York City and would never move out of here, but I'm fine with my brother-in-law being happy in rural Oklahoma and not liking Manhattan.

There's land for everyone's choice in this country, but answering your very question:

Why do people move to expensive cities? Because of the life opportunities. Yes, we spend lots of money for everything is ULTRA expensive. But having the greatest city in the world right at my door is priceless.

So damn worth!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 AM

208 posts, read 979,805 times
when i got out of college i made a very entry level salary but lived in an expensive beach community in california. i was willing to live with a bunch of roommates in a small house and enjoy where i was living. many young people who just start working dont spend much time at home anyway i'd say

Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
when i got out of college i made a very entry level salary but lived in an expensive beach community in california. i was willing to live with a bunch of roommates in a small house and enjoy where i was living. many young people who just start working dont spend much time at home anyway i'd say

Thats the thing. If you are never home except to sleep and you dont collect anything(no room) then you only need enough space for your bed, computer and clothes. Renting out a bedroom in a house or a studio apartment may be enough for your needs, anything larger is overkill.

But for someone like me who stays home 90% of the time and I collect like everything, I need a nice big house. I want to live in a quiet, safe town

Old 03-02-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thats the thing. If you are never home except to sleep and you dont collect anything(no room) then you only need enough space for your bed, computer and clothes. Renting out a bedroom in a house or a studio apartment may be enough for your needs, anything larger is overkill.

But for someone like me who stays home 90% of the time and I collect like everything, I need a nice big house. I want to live in a quiet, safe town
right...i'm just saying that often young or possibly single people can deal with an expensive area easier since they don't have much "stuff" and are not home much

Old 03-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
right...i'm just saying that often young or possibly single people can deal with an expensive area easier since they don't have much "stuff" and are not home much

They cant do that forever. When they grow, their lifestyle changes and they want a nice big house, maybe get married and live in an affordable location. I dont care much for expensive cities as I wont use those attractions and the crime scares me. I also dont want something really rural, id say a city with 5000 to 25000 people will suit me.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
They cant do that forever. When they grow, their lifestyle changes and they want a nice big house, maybe get married and live in an affordable location. I dont care much for expensive cities as I wont use those attractions and the crime scares me. I also dont want something really rural, id say a city with 5000 to 25000 people will suit me.
someone could do that forever. i know many people in their 30s-40s still living in tiny apartments in San Francisco, New York, and other places. it is a lifestyle choice to live somewhere expensive or somewhere cheap. there are usually tradeoffs to both.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
someone could do that forever. i know many people in their 30s-40s still living in tiny apartments in San Francisco, New York, and other places. it is a lifestyle choice to live somewhere expensive or somewhere cheap. there are usually tradeoffs to both.

I would go insane living in such a tiny, cramped place! Theres alot to do in those locations but you wont be able to buy alot of stuff because theres no room for it! Forget having a pet(maybe room for one small fish tank) forget collecting anything larger than coins, forget buying more than a few pairs of each article of clothes. Youll have to deal with the high crime, traffic, pollution and costs of living. I would love to vacation in a big city for a week or two and shop around with the other tourists but ill get tired of being there any longer.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
I too have wondered about this. I really don't understand why people who are in the lower class or even the (otherwise) middle class would want to live in the squalor of expensive cities. Perhaps the people in the lower class just can't afford to leave? I suppose some people might enjoy it (not sure how when you don't have any discretionary spending money) and that some people would be afraid to leave for family reasons.

I really can't understand why a place like the insanely expensive San Francisco Bay Area has any public school teachers or firemen or police or waiters, etc. It's a beautiful place, but it's also necessary to live. If it were me I'd move away and find a job elsewhere in one of those fields and essentially double my standard of living.

As for Chicago, it's a great city and I'd love to live there, but damn, to me it looks very expensive and the traffic congestion looks awful. That having been said, for a city of it's size and cosmopolitain stature I'm sure it's relatively reasonable. If I could find a good job in my field there, I'd make the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.