Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Wow...LA wasn't like those pics?
Who said LA wasn't like that? My comment wasn't even directed towards you. I was replying to coog, and talked about those Downtown Houston photos, then you came out of no where and said "amaze me".

Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Well this is a general forum and I decided to respond to your post. You said that back in the day when there was no tunnel system, the streets were packed. I was proving that LA was as well...it still is, just not as much and the areas that are still extremely packed are ghetto with T-shirt shops and Mexicans.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Well this is a general forum and I decided to respond to your post. You said that back in the day when there was no tunnel system, the streets were packed. I was proving that LA was as well...it still is, just not as much and the areas that are still extremely packed are ghetto with T-shirt shops and Mexicans.
I don't know, you just made it sound like I was saying LA wasn't like the few old pictures of Houston that I had posted.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
this is why I think Downtown LA has so much potential. If they could just get more middle and upper class people and better stores it could really be nice and a better destination and would feel like a real city. When you look down Broadway it can look like San Francisco or New York with all the buildings and people. All the buildings there are old and really nice but they are just occupied by cheap, bargain store tenants and its feels too much like a foreign country.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Houston has the tunnels and the humidity. Many people are going to take the tunnels instead of enduring the heat. LA has very nice weather compared to Houston.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
You do realize this is because there is a tunnel system that connects all buildings in downtown Houston. There are lunch restaurants throughout the entire length of these tunnels. Everyone, and I literally mean everyone, is underground. If Houston's street level even compare to LA, that is quite the sad statement for LA.
Yeah I realize that. Doesn't change the fact that LA's downtown from a perception standpoint will be looked at as a more lively and more vibrant downtown area than Houston's. BTW, I hate the tunnel system. Grow a pair folks and use that heat to your advantage.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
this is why I think Downtown LA has so much potential. If they could just get more middle and upper class people and better stores it could really be nice and a better destination and would feel like a real city. When you look down Broadway it can look like San Francisco or New York with all the buildings and people. All the buildings there are old and really nice but they are just occupied by cheap, bargain store tenants and its feels too much like a foreign country.
Yeah. Those buildings are amazing. If the area was nice, I'm sure prices per sq. ft. along Broadway and Spring St. and similar would be in competition with SF and NYC. I mean, come on, a historical theater being used to discount T-shirts from poor Mexicans to poor Mexicans? At least let them be run-down theaters. I would love to have them open back up as real theaters. I would for sure go. It would totally revive that historic area and that would be my #1 wish to live in one of those classic buildings.

Does Houston have the same problem?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston has the tunnels and the humidity. Many people are going to take the tunnels instead of enduring the heat. LA has very nice weather compared to Houston.
But I think that's just a copout. Use that heat to your advantage. Weather is just an excuse for not going out. Chicago has one of the most vibrant downtowns in the World and people are out frolicking around at temperatures around 4 degrees in the middle of the afternoon in the winter. If Chicagoans can use that weather to it's advantage, Houston can use that heat and humidty to it's advantage.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But I think that's just a copout. Use that heat to your advantage. Weather is just an excuse for not going out. Chicago has one of the most vibrant downtowns in the World and people are out frolicking around at temperatures around 4 degrees in the middle of the afternoon in the winter. If Chicagoans can use that weather to it's advantage, Houston can use that heat and humidty to it's advantage.
I don't think businessmen and women like having huge sweat stains when they go to work. The heat and humidity can get the sweat flowing really fast.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok tell that to the ones who happen to faint or have heat strokes. Some people don't bear the heat because they can't take it. If northerners move down here, they'd be in the tunnels as well. I 'm sure the boss won't mind his employees coming to meetings and work with big sweat stains as well.

There is a big different between heat and cold. In cold, you just cover up, but in heat you can only strip down to so much.

This is why I say that if Houston wants more pedestrian traffic downtown and around the city than it needs more public transit. This cannot happen without it. Buses will only do so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.